Chapter 8, Jasmine Fobes
Dietary Guidelines for Americans
A diet is the kinds f food that a person,animal, or community habitually eats.
Nutrients within your calorie needs
3. Activity level
Nutrients-Dense Foods- Food that provides high amounts of vitamins and minerals for relatively few calories.
How to maintain a healthy weight
Health risks for being underweight includes not having much body fat as an energy reserve.
Suggestions to lose weight;
- increase physical activity
- small decrease in food and beverage calories
Health problems related to too much body fat;
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Some types of cancer
Teens Should get up to 60 minutes a day of physical activity.
You could get involved in a team, or walk/ride a bike instead of taking a car.
Importance of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and milk
How to limit fats and cholesterol
Ways to prevent:
- keep saturated fats to less than 10 percent of your calories
- eat as few foods containing trans fat as possible
- limit cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams per day
- choose mostly foods prepared with little or no fat
- eat dairy products that are mostly reduced-fat/ low-fat
- Get most of your fat from fish, nuts, and healthy oils
- nutrient-rich fruit
- soft drinks
Reduce sodium and increase potassium
- Drinking alcohol drinks can affect your judgment
- Heavy drinking links to accidents and injuries.
- Has calories but no nutrients