BH Elementary Counseling News
WE'VE BEEN BUSY
- Week of Respect-It is the first week in October in the state of New Jersey. This year we chose to focus on the impact of our words to either help or harm those around us. Each school day began with a quote that prompted students to reflect on the Power of Words.
- Classroom Lessons-Every classroom was visited with a lesson about The Power of Words. The students watched a video about Put-Ups and Put-Downs and completed a project where they had to create their own Put-ups about classmates and other school community members. Be sure to ask your child for an example of a Put-Up.
- Second Grade Lunch Bunches-Each second grader in Berkeley Heights School District will be given the opportunity to participate in the Lunch Bunch Friendship Circle at their school. This group focuses on making friends and problem solving skills through the use of games and fun activities. The group runs throughout the school year in four-week rotations.
- Check Ins-We have been busy meeting individually with students on an as needed basis to support their social/emotional learning in the context of the school environment. If you have concerns about your child and feel like they would benefit from meeting with the counselor, please refer to our contact information below.
Good to Know
The Mindful Child by Susan Kaiser Greenland
This is an accessible and thorough book about the benefits of mindfulness for children and their caregivers. It discusses the benefits of mindful awareness and offers many practical exercises for how to help kids to focus their attention, increase awareness and decrease stress. The techniques are helpful for children of all ages.
This is another book that walks parents through the importance of mindfulness and the impact it can have on them and their children. It comes with a CD that includes mindfulness activities that children respond well to.
- Classroom Lessons on Mindfulness-We will be visiting the 3-5 grades in the upcoming months with a focus on teaching mindfulness skills. We will pull from the book Sitting Like a Frog and other available resources that help children understand mindfulness, and learn how it can benefit them in their day to day life.
- Game Club-This is a group for second through fifth graders that meets weekly before school. It is a time to connect with others, play games and work on pro-social behaviors. It is a way for students to connect with their peers and build community at school.
- Lunch Bunch for 3rd-5th graders- These small groups meet for 4-6 week sessions throughout the school year. They provide students with an easy way to make friends, practice social skills, and have fun. We use games, art projects, and team-based activities to engage each student. If you believe your child would benefit from being part of a lunch bunch group, please contact your school's counselor.
Meet the Counselors
Mrs. Reedy - Mountain Park and Mary Kay McMillin
Mrs. Reedy has been working in the district for 17 years. She has two grown adult children, who often visit her with their cats and dogs. Mrs. Reedy loves hiking, biking and swimming and is currently in the process of writing some books for children.
Mrs. Swon - Thomas P. Hughes
Mrs. Swon has worked in Berkeley Heights school district for 9 years. She loves working with the students, teachers and parents at Hughes School. In addition, she has a houseful of kids and made the bold move to get a puppy.....a cute little cockapoo who is a BIG trouble maker!
Mrs. Goldsmith - William Woodruff
Mrs. Goldsmith has been a counselor for children and their families for the past 11 years. She loves to read, jog, and cook. When not at Woodruff, she can be found shuttling her kids around. She has a sweet little guinea pig named Scotty.