Duluth HS Orchestra Newsletter
Welcome Back! August 2021!
Read First :)
We are so excited to begin another wonderful school year with our amazing Duluth Orchestra Family! We want to welcome back our returning students and welcome our new to Duluth HS students. We are so excited to have our students returning to in person instruction this fall, and we are looking forward to making music all together again!
Below is the information you will need to start the year. We plan to run a normal school year while practicing extra cleaning steps.
We will send newsletters often throughout the year, so please be sure to have your email address updated in the parent portal and the remind app added to your phone. The Remind App allows you to select your preferred language that you wish to receive communications in, and Smore allows you to translate the newsletter to your preferred language!
Below are some very important items we need each family to read. Please read each item carefully as there are many dates and information to be found below!
1. Welcome Back Letter- information about class plans, fees, instruments, cleaning procedures etc.
2. Fee Sheet
3. Supply List- please read carefully and make sure you have all supplies up to date
4. Orchestra Calendar
5. Orchestra Spring Trips Information! Disney and Italy
6. Instrument Rental Flyers
We also have an Amazon wishlist if you would like to donate some items we need to our program! https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1A9M1K244ZSP2?ref_=wl_share
follow us on our orchestra social media platforms listed below!
Welcome Back Letter!
Dear Students and Parents,
We hope you all are safe and well! This summer hopefully brought you a time to rest and recharge after last year. We are so proud of the long tradition of excellence here at Duluth HS in our Orchestra program, and our students bring so many honors and recognitions to our school. Our orchestra's diversity is a true representation of the real world, and through music, we encourage and contribute to creating unity and healing.
With that said, we would like to welcome back our new and returning students. There are several documents below, but here is an overview of important information we hope you will find helpful.
- Please make sure your instrument is in working order and that you have all your necessary supplies. Attached you will find a list of local vendors that rent instruments and a supply list. We encourage all students to secure an instrument now as stores may start to run out as school is starting. We have an extremely limited number of school instruments available for check out. These will be distributed based on need.
- We will continue to use classroom procedures designed to ensure that surfaces are kept disinfected. We will have hand sanitizer around the room. Cellos and basses will be wiped with disinfectant and students will hand sanitize before and after use. There will be no shared violins/violas. Extra air purifiers will be utilized in our classroom.
- We will be back to having normal concerts and events, so students will need to make sure they have both the Duluth HS Orchestra polo shirt (white) and the formal orchestra attire! All families are asked to pay a class fee of $70 per year to help support and run the orchestra program here at Duluth HS. These fees make up the majority of our operating budget, and we rely on these fees each year to fund our program. The student class fee helps pay for student awards, sheet music, clinicians, supplies, program printing, LGPE, instrument repair, student scholarships for private lessons, summer music camps, and college music majors as well as many other program expenses. In addition, students will need to pay their class fee this year because it includes their subscription to their online learning tool for orchestra called SmartMusic. We will be using the SmartMusic platform all year, and all students need a subscription. So please make sure to pay your dues on time!
- Student orchestra fees, school instrument rental/usage (if you play a school cello or bass at school during the day), and uniforms are on the fee sheet below. You can either pay online with Paypal through the orchestra website www.duluthorchestra.org , or mail your payment with a check or money order payable to Duluth String Orchestra Alliance or DSOA at P. O. Box 2067, Duluth, Georgia 30096. DO NOT USE MY PAYMENTS PLUS.
- We will be taking orchestra trips this year!! We have a trip going to Disney with Band, Chorus and Theater, and we also have openings on our Italy tour for Spring Break. See below for info!
We want to let you know we will continue to make the learning environment fun and full of opportunities for all students, and we are so excited to have concerts and events to look forward to! Please do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone if you should have any concerns. We are here to help our families and work with you to make sure you have access to anything you need to participate in orchestra.
We love you!!!!
Dr. Peter Lemonds and Mrs. Shawn Morton, Directors
Orchestra Office: 770 232-3393
C. 404 374-2492 (Dr. Lemonds)
C. 404 819-7437 (Mrs. Morton)
Orchestra Calendar for 2021-2022
Fee Sheet for Orchestra
You may also mail fees to the PO Box. DO NOT USE MY PAYMENTS PLUS please!
Click below to access fee sheet (you don't need to turn this in unless you are mailing in your money or turning it in at school)
Duluth Performing Arts Disney Trip!
Italy Trip for Spring Break!
The Duluth HS Orchestra had planned an Italy trip for spring 2020, but it was pushed back due to the pandemic. We will be able to finally take that trip this spring break (2022).
For over 18 years, we have traveled with the student tour company EF tours. We have had wonderful experiences with the company, and they have provided us with safe, fun and educational tours for our students. They offer a variety of payment plans and options so that each family can find the plan that suits their needs. Previous travelers with EF tours will receive a $100 discount!
Our trip for 2022 is a 10 day tour of Italy. You can view the specific itinerary by clicking the tour link below.
To sign up, you need to only pay a $95 deposit. This deposit secures the pricing for you. You then have several months to make payments toward your trip.
To view the tour, see pricing, and sign up for the trip please visit:
Gwinnett County Youth Symphony Audition Music and Signup
REMIND 101 CODES FOR ALL CLASSES!
Please make sure you are signed up for Remind 101, and Parents there is a remind for you too! We send out updates and reminders to your phone using this system!
To join Remind 101 for your orchestra class-
1st period- in the text box put @sym-orch
2nd period- in the text box put @con-orch
3rd period- in the text box put @cham
4th period- in the text box put @phil-orch
5th period- in the text box put @sinfo-orch
Parents- in the text box put @orchpare
Private Teacher List
Amazon Smile and Corporate Giving
Here are some simple ways you can help our orchestra!
Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
Support your charitable organization by starting your shopping at smile.amazon.com and designating Duluth String Orchestra Alliance Inc. as your chosen charity!
In addition, many companies will match charitable giving if you designate Duluth String Orchestra Alliance as your charity! Check with your employer about matching gifts!
1. visit- www.publix.com
2. log in or set up a publix account
3. select "my account"
4. Designate Duluth HS Orchestra as your Publix Partner
5. Each time you shop at Publix, enter your phone number, and a portion of your purchase come back to the Duluth HS Orchestra
Kroger Community Partners!
1. visit www.kroger.com
2. log in or set up your kroger account
3. Scroll to the bottom and under Community select "Community Rewards"
4. Type in Duluth String Orchestra Alliance in the search field
5. Select us as your organization, and you are all set!
6. each time you shop using your Kroger Plus card, we get a portion of your purchase!