The Ghosts of Wilmington
The Ghosts of North Carolina
The Price-Gause House
514 Market Street Wilmington, North Carolina 28401
This location is one of the most active in all of Wilmington. Prior to a house being built on the site in 1843, the property was the site to Wilmington’s Gallows Hill. Many men were hanged at this location. It was customary for the bodies to be buried right on this site if no one was there to take them after the hangings.
When Dr. William Price decided to build his home on this property, he planned enough room for both his office and living space. Immediately after the Price family moved into the house, they experienced strange and unusual occurrences. To this day, sounds of footsteps have been heard walking up the stairs along with the smell of pipe tobacco. Doors have also been seen opening and closing with no rational explanation.
One of the most active rooms is the upstairs office, which, for many years, was used as a bedroom. It is almost usual for the windows to frost up on hot summer nights. They can be seen from the outside, and on a clear night you can see the world “HELP” written in the frost in the upper-left window. There is no explanation for the phenomenon.
Activity has also been seen outside next to the house. J & J Ghost Seekers have taken some strong EMF readings in this area during our investigation. We have also captured photographs of colored orbs and what looks like a shadow of a person peeking through a window and pulling a curtain open. Visitors have reported feeling a pressure build over them while spending time in the side yard. This is no surprise because there are a number of unmarked graves in the area.
The house is now an office for an architectural firm. The paranormal activity continues just as it has for the past 150 years. The employees of the architectural firm have taken to calling their resident ghost “George.” This site is also a stop on one of Wilmington’s local ghost walks.
New Hanover County Public Library
The second-floor wing of the library is said to be haunted by the ghost of a short woman who many believe was a library patron who frequented the local history room of the library. The apparition has been seen by a number of employees and visitors over the years and in addition there are reports of phantom footsteps, moving books and pamphlets.
Some of the phenomena has also been blamed on the building’s second ghost, that of a man who was killed in a duel in the 1800’s. The man’s home once stood on the present-day site of the library and his nervous pacing was reported for some time.
Picture Credit: familysearch.org