Barrington High School Alumni Association (June 19, 2019)
BHS Alumni Night: July 6, 2019
BHS grad, NYT best-selling author returns to Barrington
The Catlow, the former Baloney's Sandwich Shop and the historic homes are three of Veronica Roth's favorite things about Barrington. On Friday, May 10 the New York Times bestselling author and 2006 BHS graduate returned home to Barrington, to hold a nationwide live stream from her middle school alma mater, BMS-Prairie. "Curiosity is hands-down the best quality you can have if you want to be a writer," Roth told students during the live stream.
Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection) and the Carve the Mark series (Carve the Mark, The Fates Divide). Her short stories and essays have appeared in the anthologies Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures. After graduating from BHS, she attended Northwestern University. Click here to watch a short video of her visit.
BHS grad turned entrepreneur visits D220
On Friday, May 17, Mike Acerra, who graduated from BHS in 1983, returned to Barrington to speak to students at BHS, BMS-Station and North Barrington Elementary. Acerra is the inventor of Lux Blox, an Illinois based company that manufactures construction blocks to teach kids about nature's design principles through play. The blocks allow users to create both elastic and firm formations for numerous applications from making house/car like structures to supple
human like conceptions to grab, collapse, and expand.
Pictured: BHSAA President Chuck Thyfault (left) and Mike Acerra (right)
BHS grad to the NFL
From student to principal
BHSAA veterans project
The Barrington High School Alumni Association, in collaboration with the Barrington 220 Educational Foundation and the BHS social studies department, is embarking on a project to honor BHS alumni and staff who have served in the military. The high school plans to display a new touch screen board in the main entrance of BHS, which will display photos, short biographies and stories of their service. Click here to submit your information.
Pictured: John Thyfault at an Air Force Base in South Korea. Thyfault worked at BHS as Head of Guidance and Associate Principal for many years, before retiring in 1992.
Talk about a throwback...
Homecoming 2019 Schedule of Events
Oct. 3: Alumni Legends
Oct. 4: Class Reunions
Oct. 5: Homecoming Day
- 7AM: Join us for the annual “Andy Anderson Pancake Breakfast” in the BHS Cafeteria until noon.
- 10:15AM: The BHS Homecoming Parade leaves from the METRA station and marches to BHS. Alumni floats line up behind the high school student floats, with the exception of the 50th Reunion float, which will help lead the parade. Call BHS at 847-381-1400 to register your class float. The theme this year is "Candyland Homecoming—It’s Going to Be Sweet!”
- 11AM: Join us for the BHS School Tour. Meet inside the main entrance to the school and receive a free alumni t-shirt!
- 11am-4pm: Join us for the BHSAA Tailgate Party in the Chessie’s parking lot at 200 Applebee Street. There will be good food, drink and entertainment.
- 1PM: The Broncos take on Conant High School at Barrington Community Stadium.
Oct. 6: BHSAA Brunch
Joe Plaskas (1938-2019)
Eileen Heiden (1930-2019)
Eileen Heiden, 88, passed away peacefully March 27, 2019 in Lake Zurich. Eileen was a longtime administrative assistant at Barrington High School. She was an avid traveler, visiting 17 countries with her travel buddy and daughter, Renee. She loved animals, all things Elvis, and treasured the time she spent with her family.
BHS 2018-19 Retirees
- Cynthia Amato (Campus Attendant)
- Trudy Balogh (Speech Clinician)
- Karla Cherry (Math)
- Christine Hardy (Administrative Assistant)
- Christine Herbert (Library Tech Assistant)
- Pamela King (Science)
- Linda Migdal (Administrative Assistant)
- Tracy Waters Miller (Physical Education)
- Paul Pinnow (Special Services)
- Alan Sanders (English)
Visit the BHSAA website to stay up to date on your alumni news! Register and log in to access our searchable alumni directory.
BHSAA Board of Directors
President: Chuck Thyfault (‘82)
Founding President: Don Thompson (‘61)
Registration/Membership: Beverly Kramer ('62)
Staff Representative BHS Principal Steve McWilliams (‘93)
Advisory Board: Craig Bopp ('75), Nancy Ahrbeck Suria ('61), Mary Walbaum Williams ('55), Charlie Knapik ('02), Will Knapik ('97), Mike Shackleton ('80), Jodi Suson ('81)