The Au Gres-Sims School District
Au Gres-Sims Families and Community,
Maintaining that sense of normalcy moving forward will continue to be a challenge. Our students and staff have pushed hard this year to make more than just yearly learning progress, but to also make gains on the loss of learning time that has taken place the past two years. The changes that have been presented in all of our lives cannot be erased by a semester of more familiar schooling. I say semester, because you only have to go back to January of this year to find the last interruption to normal at AGS, when we had to shut down for two days due to the virus running through our community.
"Normal" may never fully return, but maybe that is okay. We now have the chance to redefine that word, to make a new, better "normal" for our families and our students. Forging a new path to improve your condition is a bumpy road, but I am convinced that we will do it together. We will face challenges together, but this district, our staff, our families, and our community are strong and will face these obstacles together. First, however, we need to regroup, relax, and re-energize this summer. We need to take in the beauty of our hometown and have some fun in the sun so that we can come back and redefine normal in 22-23 together.
Congratulations to all of our students, staff, parents, families, and community members on a successful 2021-2022 school year. We have built a foundation for more success in the years to come. Thank you to everyone and enjoy your summer. We will see you again in late August.
K-12 Principal's Update
The Northeast Michigan Arts Council is offering a Youth Fine Arts Camp in Standish for students ages 8-13. This will take place July 25-29 from 9:00-1:00 for a cost of $35 for non-members (partial scholarships are available). For more information call 989-846-9331.
Thank you Zanners Ice Cream Shoppe for your generosity and providing ice cream for the entire elementary on our Fun Day! We are appreciative that we could be a part and help celebrate your 50th year in business!
Planning for next year, here are a couple of events to prepare for:
- August 24 Open House: Elementary 4:30-6:00, MS/HS 5:00-6:30
- August 26 Schedule Pickup 8:00-3:00
- August 29 First day of school
This year has been a long and stressful as many hurdles were constantly thrown at us. Despite the hurdles, we all made it through and prospered. In the end, this has made us all stronger and even a few good things came about as a result. With that said, I am already hoping for, and looking forward to, a “normal” school year next year! I wish everyone a long and restful summer and can’t wait to see you all soon! Take care!
From the Desk of Mrs. Socha
Happy Summer Break! It is hard to believe that we have reached the end of another school year! A few reminders about some summer events. If you signed your elementary or middle school student up for our Summer Enrichment Program, we will reach out to you in the next week with some more information. The first important date will be the Chromebook pick–up, which will be on Friday, June 24th. I will send out more information about that date in our communications over the next few weeks. If you are a summer school participant, please keep an eye out for emails from either myself or your summer school teacher.
Letters to invite high school students to Credit Recovery this summer will be sent out at the beginning of next week. Like last summer, there will be a $50 fee for each class which will be reimbursed upon successful completion of the class. More information will be included in the letter.
We appreciate the support and partnership that we have had with you this year. Thank you for working with us to continue educating the students in our community! See you in the fall!
Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Cards
Parents, if your son or daughter had to miss some school this year due to COVID-19 reasons (they were either positive/isolating or a close contact/quarantining) then you/they may be eligible for the Pandemic EBT program through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
- All of our district levels (AGS High, AGS Middle, AGS Elementary, and AGS GSRP) are eligible for this program.
- Unlike last year, individual families must qualify for free/reduced lunch for P-EBT eligibility. Our district qualifies for Universal Breakfast and Lunch due to district-level qualification, which is different than individual family eligibility.
The linked and attached information below describes eligibility and application requirements for the P-EBT cards.
- Families are responsible for completing the application which includes the listing out the dates in which the child(ren) were absent from school due to COVID.
- Once families complete the form, they may be submitted to either the Main Office (through June 24th) or the Administration Office for proof and verification before they are submitted via mail or email.
More information, including the digital form attached below, may be found at http://michigan.gov/pebt
We transition into summer next week with camps coming up in anticipation of the 2022-23 school year. Fall sports is up next with Football and Volleyball.
Next Week's Schedule of Events:
Girls Basketball Summer Camp
- Middle School Girls: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00-10:30
- Varsity (HS) Girls: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 10:30-12:00, Thursday Scrimmage TBD
Important Dates - For the Summer
The main office will be closed for the entire month of July and will reopen on August 1st.
From the week of June 20th through the week of August 15th the administrative office will be closed on Fridays. The admin office will be open Monday through Thursday from 7a-5p.
- 14th: Report Cards Mailed
- 20th: 5:45p Board of Education Special Budget Hearing Meeting
- 18th: 6:00p Board of Education Regular Meeting
- 2nd: Election Day, Vote on the Non-homestead Renewal for AGS Schools
- 15th: 6:00p Board of Education Regular Meeting
- 24th: 4:30-6p Elementary Open House, 5-6:30p Secondary Open House
- 26th: School of Choice Deadline
- 29th: First day of 2022-2023 School Year
Technology Camp at SVSU
Calling all technology loving girls in grades 5th-12th grade to come join us at SVSU for Camp Infinity in July! Camp Infinity is a week-long technology camp for girls who want to learn more about app inventing, robotics, ALICE, and many more technology based topics. Lunch is included each day and registration is $100 (scholarships are available). Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org We would LOVE to have your camper join us this summer!
Middle School Camp Dates: July 18th-22nd
Middle School Camp Registration Link: Middle School Camp Registration Link
High School Camp Dates: July 25th-29th
High School Camp Registration Link: High School Camp Registration Link
Help Wanted at AGS
Job Opportunities at AGS
We are also always on the lookout for substitute teachers. If interested, please inquire with Mrs. Miller in the district administration office, (989) 876-7157.
Looking Ahead to the 2022-2023 School Year
We are already planning ahead for next school year and looking for the very best to fill our ranks and join the AGS Family. We need your help! Please spread the word that we are on the lookout for the following positions for the 22-23 School Year.
- K-12 Art Teacher
- Bus Driver (2)
- Special Education Teacher
- Targeted Math Interventionist (part-time, grades 6-8)
- Interventionist for Math and Reading (part-time, grades K-8)
- Middle School English/Language Arts Teacher