CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
February 4, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
It's official...we are halfway through the year!
- What did your child(ren) do that was successful in the first half of the year, and what does your child(ren) need to do to moving forward?
- Focus on one or two things that will help guide the way for your child(ren).
- Reach out to the teachers with concerns or questions.
- Talk with your child(ren) about school, share your thoughts, and ask open-ended questions such as, "What are you looking forward to?"
Now is a great time to set goals and have discussions about the second half of the 2021-2022 school year with your child(ren).
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
REMINDER: Morning Drop Off Update
- Doors to both gyms will be open between 8:00-8:05 AM so if it is possible, please drop your child(ren) off earlier to reduce the number of cars arriving together.
- Please have your child(ren) leave your car at the beginning of the cones (or before the cones) to help keep a steady flow of cars.
- If you drop your child(ren) off before the cones, you are permitted to enter the right lane to exit school grounds. This will allow more vehicles to enter the drop-off lane.
- Please do not pull off into the staff spots on the left to drop your child(ren) off.
As per the student handbook, homeroom begins at 8:25 AM so the doors to both gyms will be closed at that time. Students are sent to their lockers at 8:18 AM so that they have enough time to be in homeroom by 8:25 AM. After 8:25 AM, drop off should occur in the front of the building so students can report to the office for a late pass.
High Honor Roll and Honor Roll
Congratulations to all of our students on a successful Marking Period 2!
National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) program includes grade-based assessments for Grades 4 & 8, as well as the long-term trend assessment for 9-year-olds. Some CDW students in Grade 8 have been chosen at random by the NAEP program to complete subject-area questions in civics, mathematics, reading, or U.S. History. Each student will be assessed in one subject only. Please note: NAEP results will not be used for CDW or NVOT placement.
If your child(ren) was selected, you will be receiving a letter via the Genesis Parent Portal on Thursday, February 10th.
OTEA Pure Vida Bracelet Sale
8th Grade NVOT High School Conference Information
NVOT conferences will take place on Monday, February 7th through Tuesday, February 15th.
Please remember to tell your child(ren) when the conference takes place. They will not be called out of class! Students are allowed to just leave class for their meeting. Click HERE if you do not remember which time slot you chose.
You MUST complete the high school registration forms in order to receive a high school schedule. The high school has previously sent email notifications regarding this process. You may access the forms using this link.
On January 12, 2022, a virtual meeting was conducted with 8th Grade parents and 8th graders. By clicking on this link, you may access complete Registration and Scheduling information for the 2022-2023 school year at Northern Valley Old High School.
Every 8th Grader has been invited to Mrs. Richardson's Google Classroom and has access to all high school information. If you have any further questions, please email Mrs. Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8th Grade Sharpe Reservation Trip Meeting
CDW Debate Team
STEM: 5th Grade Playground Project
Grade 5 Spanish
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
CDW Knights Basketball Updates
The girls' basketball team completed their season UNDEFEATED with a record of 10-0! They will take a break during the first round of playoffs with a bye as well!
Good Luck in the playoffs, CDW Knights!
GIRLS' BASKETBALL - OT (home) vs. Northvale - Tuesday, 2/8/22 @ 3:45 PM
Tentative -- BOYS' BASKETBALL - OT (home) vs. winner of Northvale / Haworth - Wednesday, 2/9/22 @ 3:45 PM
Finals @ Northern Valley Demarest High School~ Monday, February 14th
Girls @ 4:15 PM (Teams to be determined.)
Boys @ 5:30 PM (Teams to be determined.)
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
February - BADMINTON
March through April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
Important Reminders for Delayed Openings
- Staff will be available for drop off to begin at 9:30 AM.
- Homeroom begins at 10:00 AM.
- After 10:00 AM, students need to enter through the front door for a tardy pass. Please drive around to the front to drop them off since the other doors will be closed.
Dressing for the Weather
Grades 5, 6, 7 Parents
Mrs. Richardson can be reached at 201-664-1475 ext 2203 or email@example.com. Speaking with Mrs. Richardson first will ensure a smooth application process.
Harry Potter Read-Aloud
A sign out sheet will be available each Tuesday in the cafeteria. Students must sign out of lunch to attend.
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge
As of January 7th, we have 410 lbs. of plastic!!!
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Chromebook Insurance Information
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) needs assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Thursday, February 10th~ 8th Grade Sharpe Parent Information Meeting at 6:00 PM
Monday, February 21st-Friday, February 25th~ February Recess- No School for Students