- Of the estimated 17.5 million Americans who are affected by some form of depression, 9.2 million have major or clinical depression
- 30% of people with substance abuse suffer from depression
- More than 20 million people in the U.S. suffer from from depression
- About one in four people suffer from depression
- Women suffer from depression twice as often as men. One out of four women may have depression sometime during their lifetime. Many people suffer with depression but do not seek help.
- Lincoln suffered from depression for most of his life
- Mentally ill people in the middle ages considered to have been controlled by the devil.