Plano West Senior High School
Blue Nation: Leading with Pride!
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
- Daily Character Quote
- What's Up At WEST
- AVID Teacher of the Month
- Prom Ticket Sales - "New"
- Speech Wins First Place Sweepstakes at TFA - "New"
- Super Saturday at Collin College - "New"
- USA Biology Olympiad Qualifiers
- Lost and Found
- Theatre Department Congratulations
- Plano West Theatre One Act Play
- Frankford Middle School PTA Scholarships
- PWSH Blood Drive
- Prom Fashion Show
- JROTC Fundraiser
- Colleges Visiting West
- Upcoming College Information Sessions
- From the Nurse
- PWSH Counseling is now using Remind
- Scholarship Opportunity for Juniors
- Junior Academic Conferences
- Final Exam Grade Waiver and Final Exam Exemption Guidelines
- From the Registrar
- 2016 Bond Election
- PISD Alumni Assoc. Third Annual Golf Tournament
- Plano Retired Teachers Association Scholarship
- Parent Survey
- Food Deliveries at School
- Delta Kappa Gamma Scholarship
- Health Alert - Flu
- Jazz Band Presents Glenn Miller Night
- Operation Beautiful
- Plano West Senior High Education and Training Program
- Senior Night Live
"Never frown because you never know who could be falling in love with your smile."
What's Up At West - http://pisdtv.pisd.edu/plano-west-sh/features/3FSzrcQ0pmGyL1Xg479t
Congrats to Ms. Johnson for being voted by the students as the AVID Teacher of the Month! Thank you for all that you do!
"New" Prom Ticket Sales - Sales will occur during lunch in the main foyer on April 11-15. Tickets are $40 each. Seniors may purchase 2 tickets.
Prior to purchase:
- CTRL+CLICK on the Prom Ticket Registration link.
- Login using your Plano ISD google drive login which is your network login followed by @mypisd.net Ex. email@example.com
- Enter your Plano ISD network password (Only one response per login is allowed.)
- Provide the information and click “Submit”.
If paying cash:
- Bring your money and Student ID to the foyer during lunches, 4/11-4/15, to pay and pick up your ticket(s).
If paying through parentviewer.pisd.edu with a credit or debit card,
- Print the receipt on parent portal or save to your phone.
- Bring the receipt and Student ID to the foyer during lunches, 4/11-4/15, to pick up your ticket(s).
Credit or Debit card purchases may be made through parentviewer.pisd.edu:
- Login to parent portal
- Click on "student name" under the STUDENT REGISTRATION BOX
- Click on "pay now" where you'll see a box with options for "Prom tickets"
- There are 2 options.....1) to purchase one ticket, or 2) to purchase 2 tickets
- Once you make your purchase, click on "view previous charges" and click on "view receipt" to print it.
- Please bring with the receipt with you to claim your tickets
Online ticket sales will close Saturday, April 16th at 6:00 PM.
Prom information is available on the Plano West Website Prom Page located at http://k-12.pisd.edu/Schools/pwsh/news/prom.html
DON"T MISS OUT ON A MAGICAL EVENING!
"New" Speech Wins First Place Sweepstakes at TFA - Plano West won first place sweepstakes in our region and second place overall at TFA state this past week with the following individual results:
- Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking -
- State Champion – Neil Patel
- Semi – Finals – Ankur Bhagwath
- Quarter-Finals – Aaron Raj
- Congressional Debate -
- State Champion – Usmaan Hasan
- 2nd – Neil Patel
- 6th - Aaron Raj
- 8th – Ellen Wang
- 15th – Marghi Jani
- Semi-Finals – Jana Kholy
- Original Oratory -
- State Champion – Usmaan Hasan
- Quarter-finals – Aarti Kapoor
- Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking -
- Marghi Jani
- Ellen Wang
- Public Forum Debate, Double Octa Finalists -
- Michael Eng and Jayaram Rajagopolan
- Chetan Reddy and Aashna Gupta
- Congressional Debate Senate -
- Derek Ji
- Poetry -
- Yusuf Mufti
"New" Super Saturday at Collin College -
Saturday, March 19, 2016
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Target Audience: Parents and Students Grades 9 - 12
Spring Creek Campus, 2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy., Plano
- This Super Saturday event will include a campus tour as well as resource tables from various academic departments, student organizations, and services areas at Collin College. Presentations about Collin College admissions, financial aid and advising will also be offered.
- This event is free, but registration is required. For details and to register, please go to: http://www.collin.edu/gettingstarted/explore/campus_tours.html. For questions, please contact Liz Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-881-5638.
USA Biology Olympiad Qualifiers - "Congratulations to Jierui Fang and Lance Villarreal on qualifying for the USA Biology Olympiad (USABO) Semifinal Exam!
There were slightly more than 5400 students from 45 states and 5 international countries competing in the recent Open Exam. Jierui and Lance each scored well beyond the mean score to move to the next round of testing. The top twenty Semifinalists will be invited to attend the USABO National Finals held at Marymount University from May 29 to June 10 with all expenses paid, excluding travel. The four finalists designated as Team USA will remain until June 12 and will travel to Hanoi, Vietnam July 17 to 24 for the International Biology Olympiad. WISH THEM LUCK!"
Lost and Found - Students: The lost and found bin (blue box by Nurses office), located in the cafeteria is full. If you have misplaced something, please take a look.
The bin will be emptied this Friday, March 18. Any unclaimed items will be donated to charity.
Plano West Theatre - Congratulations to Meg Grinde and the Plano West Theatre Department! Meg was nominated as Best Actress by the Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Competition and Plano West also received a nomination for Best Scenic Design. The awards will take place at The Music Hall at Fair Park on April 14, 2016.
One Act Play - Plano West Theatre Presents: Moon Over Buffalo, Thursday, March 17, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. in the Plano West Auditorium. This is our One-Act Play that we will also be presenting at UIL Competition on Monday, March 21. Tickets for the show can be purchased for $5.00 at www.westtheatre.org. Hope to see you there!
Frankford Middle School Scholarships - Frankford Middle School PTA is offering 3 scholarships (1-$1000 and 2-$500) to PISD graduates who attended Frankford for 6-8th grades. More information can be found on our website www.frankfordpta.org. Deadline for applications is April 15th.
PWSH Blood Drive - The Annual Carter Blood Drive will be Tuesday, April 5th from 9am to 4pm. Any Plano West student who is at least 17 years old and weighs at least 110 lbs. may sign up to donate blood. In order to sign up for a time slot, students must have a completed permission form signed by parents/guardians and the teachers of the classes the student will miss. Permission forms may be picked up and returned at the donation information table in the foyer outside the cafeteria Wednesday-Friday, March 16-18 or Tuesday-Thursday, March 29-31. Students may also pick up and drop off forms in room A2013. Any student who wishes to donate blood must return the completed permission form by Thursday, March 31st. Any parent who wishes to donate is also welcome to attend the blood drive. All donors must have a picture ID with them on the day of the blood drive. Any questions can be directed to Kristi Robinson at email@example.com.
"New" Prom Fashion Show - Prom is just around the corner!
If you're freaking about what to wear, no need to worry because the PALs will be walking in a fashion show during both lunches Friday, March 18th. Whether you need ideas on what to wear or help finding a tuxedo or dress, come by the main foyer and watch the PALS strut their stuff! Please direct any questions to the PAL sponsor, Mrs. Hicks G212.
JROTC Fundraiser - Come out and enjoy delicious Chipotle and support the JROTC scholarship program! Any questions email support@JROTC.club. Look forward to seeing you there. Be sure and share this with your coworkers, neighbors, and friends! Thank you!
Colleges Visiting Week of Mar 14 - Mar 18:
Yale University Tue 15-Mar
U.S. Airforce Wed 16-Mar
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art Thu 17-Mar
Upcoming College Information Sessions
National College Fair - Arlington Convention Center, Arlington, TX - Thurs. April 7
From the Plano West Nurse
Staff, students and parents can help reduce the impact of the cold and flu season by following these simple tips:
- Get a flu shot!
- Keep your children at home for fever of 100° or more for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds or more. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand rub/gel.
- Cough and/or sneeze into a tissue or your upper sleeve, not into your hand.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
FROM THE NURSE:
To obtain a copy of your student’s immunization record go to www.pisd.edu , then click on the For Parents tab. Log on to Parent Portal. (You may be familiar with Parent Portal for checking your student’s grades.) An additional box has been added that allows you to print out your student’s immunization record.
** SENIORS, colleges require an immunization record. Print your immunization record before June 30, or risk losing access to this valuable information.
PWSH Counseling is now using Remind! All students and parents are encouraged to join.
Text @pwshcouns to 81010
You can opt-out of messages anytime by texting ‘unsubscribe @pwshcouns’
Or, to receive these messages from the Counselors via email, send an email to:
Scholarship Opportunity for Juniors!
Coolidge Scholars Program: ~Full-ride scholarship ~Can be used by recipients at any accredited U.S. university ~Current high school juniors are eligible to apply ~Deadline is March 18, 2016 ~Apply online at: Coolidgescholars.org
JUNIOR ACADEMIC CONFERENCES - IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
- During the months of February, March, and April, all juniors and their parents will be invited to meet with counselors in an individual Academic Conference to discuss senior schedules and plans beyond high school. The time of the meeting has no impact on the availability of a student’s course choices.
- Approximately two weeks before the individual conference, parents will receive notification of the scheduled date and time for the conference. A week prior to the individual conference, during the school day, students will receive a notice reminding them of the conference appointment date and time. Students are asked to remind their parents of that appointment.
- Due to the large number of students in the junior class and district deadlines for completing conferences, changing appointment times is not possible.
- If parents are unable to attend the conference, the counselor will meet with the student, and a conference summary sheet will be sent home with the students.
- Upon entering the building, parents are asked to please check in with the receptionist in the front office for your visitor’s pass, before going the Counseling Center.
Before their individual appointment students need to:
- discuss future academic plans with parents to guide senior course selection.
- make a list of questions concerning courses, graduation requirements, plans beyond high school.
- complete the PROPOSED COURSES form that was distributed during Junior meetings with the counselors. Please bring that form to the Academic Conference.
Final Exam Grade Waiver and Final Exam Exemption Guidelines. See below.
From the Registrar - Seniors may submit Mid-Year transcript requests. Stop by the Registrar’s office to pick up a green request form and the Counselor's Office for the yellow form.
2016 Bond Election - On May 7, 2016, Plano ISD voters will decide on a $481 million bond proposal to fund initiatives recommended by the Plano ISD Facilities and Technology Task Force. Appointed in August, 2015 by the Plano ISD Board of Trustees, the task force included citizens, business leaders, teachers, principals and parents. The task force reviewed enrollment trends and projections, established construction and renovation needs, validated costs and sought input from fellow community members. After five months of study, debate and public input, the task force made final recommendations to school trustees which are included in this bond proposal. If approved, the bond initiative will provide funding toward eight major project areas with no increase to the tax rate and will impact all Plano ISD campuses through district-wide security updates, renovations and facility upgrades, as well as technology improvements. Find out more, including specific project allocations, at www.pisd.edu/2016bond. You may send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Golf Tournament - We are excited to announce the Plano ISD Alumni Association Third Annual Golf Tournament on Monday, March 28, 2016 at the Gleneagles Country Club on the Queens Course. The tournament is a four person scramble, so golfers may sign up in groups or four or choose to sign up individually and be placed into a foursome. The cost for an individual golfer is just $175.00 or $700.00 for a foursome.
The day of the tournament, registration begins at 11:30 am with a shotgun start at 1:00 pm. Dinner and awards ceremony will follow at 6:00 pm.
For additional information, please visit the Alumni Association website at http://www.pisd.edu/about.us/foundation/alumni.events.shtml,
email the Foundation at email@example.com or call extension 8272.
Thank you for supporting the Plano ISD Alumni Association.
PLANO RETIRED TEACHERS ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants for this scholarship must be a graduating PISD SENIOR who plans to pursue a career in education. Scholarship Award is for $1,200. The application can be downloaded from Naviance, or picked up in the Counseling Center. The application deadline is 4:30pm, Friday, March 25, 2016.
Parent Survey - During the 2013 Legislative Session, Texas legislators passed House Bill 5 (TEC 39.0545) statute which added a new component to the state accountability system. This statute requires school districts to do a local evaluation that is referred to as the community engagement component. The community engagement requirement is an opportunity for districts to showcase areas of excellence and success as well as recognize areas in need of improvement and set future goals valued in the community. Plano ISD will use criteria written and developed by district committees. With the 2015-16 school year in mind, please take a moment to answer this brief survey regarding parental engagement. This information will be used to complete one section of the Community and Parental Involvement Diagnostic.
The district and campus performance ratings must be reported annually to TEA and made available to the public by August 8 of each year. This information will be shared on the district and campus websites.
Click on the link below to complete the survey. The survey will be open through May 2.
Students and Parents - Please do not order food from local vendors for delivery during lunches. The delivery will not be accepted. If you order, you will need to go and pick it up.
Health Alert: Flu
Parents and students,
Important information and resources regarding influenza can be found on the Plano ISD website at: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml. The district website has been updated to include the Texas Department of State Health Services suggested links and information, as well as basic reminders. Flu season runs thru mid- May.
Jazz Band Presents Glenn Miller Night - See flyer below.
Operation Beautiful - This year's Operation Beautiful will be Friday, March 18th! Operation Beautiful is a day to celebrate each student's inner beauty. We encourage students to participate by purchasing an Operation Beautiful T-Shirt for $15 in the foyer during lunch every day through March 18th (or while supplies last).
PLANO WEST SR. HIGH EDUCATION AND TRAINING PROGRAM
Interested in teaching or working with children? See your counselor for information about the Plano West Education and Training Program. The program offers students the opportunity to assist and teach at elementary schools in the west cluster as well as teaching on campus at the Plano West Preschool. The course is a year long, 2 hour block. If you are interested, please pick up an application at the from your counselor or see Mrs. Begis in A1126. Applications are due by May 4,2016.
Email Mrs. Begis for additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Plano West Wolf Den PTSA presents: "SENIOR NIGHT LIVE” @ PINSTACK - April 17th, midnight - 4a.m.
- All Plano West seniors are invited to a “late” evening of unlimited bowling, bumper cars, rock climbing, ropes course and a laser maze.
- Pizza, cookies, and soft drinks will be served. Awesome prizes will be awarded throughout the evening to all Plano West seniors in attendance.
- Each senior is allowed to bring one guest who is not a senior or who doesn’t attend Plano West.
- Some of the prizes to be drawn include: flat screen T.V.s, Fitbits, Polar Heartbeat Monitor, Eno Hammocks, a video drone, Beats Headphones, wireless Beats Bluetooth headsets, GoPro cameras, Stereo Sound Bars, Ranger’s baseball tickets, Louis Vuitton wallet, refrigerators, microwaves and Keurigs for the dorm room, dorm room bed sets, movie & popcorn baskets, 2 iPad Minis, $500 scholarships to your chosen college or university and much, much more.
- The event will take place directly after prom, early Sunday morning from 12:00am – 4:00am April 17th at PINSTACK, 6205 Dallas Parkway, Plano, TX 75024.
- Casual dress code. Once a student leaves they will not be allowed back into the event.
- Tickets are $10 each and will be sold April 11-15th during lunch periods in the lobby outside of the Plano West Cafeteria, or at the door on April 17th.
Questions? Please contact Susan Valesano at 972-333-4743 or email@example.com
PWSH Athletics and Clubs/Jasper and Shepton Announcements
- Senior Class Elections - "New"
- PTSA Community Service Scholorship - "New"
- Soccer - "New"
- Jasper Jazz Spring Show Performance - "New"
- Kendra Scott Teams Up With Jasper Jazz - "New"
- Jasper Jazz Commemorative T-Shirt - "New"
- Men's Basketball
- Jasper PTSA Scholarships
- Plano West FFA Spring Flower Fundraiser
- PWSH PALS
- Royals Spring Show
"New" Senior Class President Elections – Interested in becoming the next Senior Class President of Plano West Senior High School? If so, plan to attend an informational meeting scheduled for Wednesday, March 16th in the Presentation Room during both A and B Lunch. If you are unable to attend, you will need to meet directly with either Mrs. Pettit (room E515) or Mr. Kroog (room G134) during their conference periods for the application packet before Friday, March 18th.
"New" PTSA Community Service Scholarship - IT'S NOT TOO LATE to qualify for a PTSA Community Service Scholarship. Whether you have 5 hours or 500 hours of service, you qualify. Pick up the application from Mrs. Powers in the Counselor's Office. Return it in to her by March 31st at 4:30PM. Several scholarships will be awarded. So don't delay. Pick up your application today!
"New" Soccer - Congratulations to Boys Varsity Soccer on a 2-1 win over Hebron. We will be hosting Allen Eagles this Friday night at Clark Stadium and then will travel to Flower Mound next Monday night. JV will play at 5:45 and Varsity at 7:30. Following these two matches playoffs will begin on March 24-25th. Come out and support your Wolf Pack Soccer!!!
"New" Jasper Jazz Spring Show Performance - Come watch their award-winning, spring show performance, titled The Heist, at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 29 or Saturday, April 30 at Jasper High School. Tickets are $10 pre-order or $12 at the door. We anticipate a full house, so purchase your tickets today at http://jasperjazz.dance/forms.html . Pre-order by April 15 to ensure your seat.
"New" Kendra Scott Teams Up With Jasper Jazz - Shop the “just-in” spring jewelry collection at Kendra Scott boutique and support Jasper Jazz at the “Kendra Gives Back” shopping party from 5-8 p.m. on Thursday, March 24 at Kendra Scott Plano, located at The Shops at Legacy, 5800 Legacy Drive. Enjoy bubbles and bites at this fun event with 20 percent of sales benefiting Jasper Jazz. Contact Kim Butler with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org .
"New" Jasper Jazz Commemorative T-Shirt - The Jasper Jazz national champions are celebrating 20 years of dance and performance excellence since the drill team’s founding in 1996. In honor of the Jazz’s 20th anniversary, the members are calling all Jasper Jazz drill team alumni and fans to show their Jazz pride and pre-order the commemorative Alumni Spirit Tee featuring a black short-sleeve t-shirt with silver alloy lettering for $20. Pre-order by April 10 at http://jasperjazz.dance/forms.html . Email Dana Tocci with questions at email@example.com . Sponsored by the Jasper Jazz Booster Club.
Plano West Men's Basketball site at: www.hometeamsonline.com/planowestbasketball
2016 JASPER PTSA Student Scholarship
One (1) $500 scholarship for a male; One (1) $500 scholarship for a female
To be eligible, student must:
- Have been a paid PTSA member for both 9th and 10th grade at Jasper High School
- Must be a 2016 graduating senior from a Plano Independent School District school
- Student must attend a college/university or vocational program for Fall, 2016. Transcript must be attached. No exceptions
- Applications will be accepted February 1, 2016 and must be received by Noon May 1, 2016.
Winners will be drawn at the general PTSA meeting in May. Please complete this form and attach transcript or verification of enrollment (VOE) and return to:
Kim Funk, Jasper HS VP of Membership, 6800 Archgate, Plano, TX 75024.
Please contact Kim Funk @ firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Good luck graduating Seniors!
Plano West FFA – Cristina’s Spring Flowers Fundraiser
FFA is selling Vouchers for a Flat of Cristina’s Spring Flowers 18 – 4” pots including: BEGONIAS, IMPATIENS, DIANTHUS, ALYSSUM, DUSTY MILLER, PETUNIAS,
MARIGOLDS, COLEUS AND VINCA (PERIWINKLE). – you can mix and match the flowers! Contact an FFA member or Jamie Hanna at email@example.com to order some today!
PWSH PALS - Juniors interested in becoming a PAL for the 2016-2017 school year, please pick up an application from Mrs. Hicks in room G212. Applications and teacher recommendation forms are due April 6.
Students who work 15 hours a week can earn 3 credit hours for one class by enrolling in Career Preparation. You will get out of school early to go to work and earn money while learning. Please pick up an application in room G 212.
Royals Spring Show - Celebrate with the Royales - Plano West Royales invites the Plano West Community to our Royales Spring Show April 7, 8, and 9 (7PM) in the Plano West Auditorium. Tickets $10, more information on where and when to pick up your tickets coming soon!
PTSA/PWSH Booster Clubs
- Senior Shirts
- Best Buddies
- Chess Club
- Youth for Christ
- Anime Club
- Plano West PTSA Membership
- PTSA Community Service Scholarships
- Asian Festival
Senior shirts are still available in G212 for $15. PALs will be selling shirts every Wednesday in the foyer until all shirts are gone. The proceeds will continue to go towards helping feed needy families.
Best Buddies is a one to one friendship matching program. If you are interested in becoming a peer buddy, associate buddy or an actual buddy please go online to www.bestbuddiesonline.org and sign up! If you are renewing, please make sure to go on the website and renew your membership! If you have any questions please contact Jillian Haug who is the Chapter President or Ms. Earl in A1153.
Chess Club will meet on Wednesdays in A1167 during both lunches. All skill levels are welcome, from beginner to advanced.
Youth for Christ meets every Wednesday at 4:15p.m in Ms. Gomez's room, A2030. Everyone and anyone is welcome.
Anime Club will meet every Thursday. Meet new friends and watch anime movies or episodes. Join us in Room B-209 (Ms. Roop-Morland) at 8:15am or 4:20pm OR Room A-2060 (Mr. Cherry) 7th period.
Plano West PTSA Membership
The Wolf Den PTSA makes it super easy to join the PTSA, sign up to volunteer, enter your own information into our online Student Directory, and purchase a Student Agenda/Planner for your student. Plano West parents have always shown great support of our PTSA, and we want that to continue! Please go to https://planowestptsa.membershiptoolkit.com to join the PTSA today! Don't forget that students who join the PTSA in BOTH their junior and senior year are eligible for a PTSA Scholarship. Last year six students were awarded $500 scholarships during the Senior Lunch in May! Your membership fees go towards funding activities that directly benefit our school AND our students. For a complete list of where the money goes, please click on the link at the bottom of this Wolf Howl. Please email Susan Argyle at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. You can also access the toolkit from a within our website www.wolfdenptsa.org.
Plano West PTSA Community Service Scholarship Applications are available! Whether you have five hours or 500 hours of Community Service, students are eligible to apply. The Community Service hours may be contributed either locally AND/OR internationally. These scholarships will be awarded to Plano West Seniors in 2016. The requirements for the scholarships are available by application that students (Seniors only) can request from Mrs. Powers in the Counselors office.
Follow the instructions on the application. All scholarship applications will be due at the end of the school day on March 31, 2016. Several scholarships will be awarded. The minimum amount awarded is $500.
Asian Festival - Plano West Orchestra Boosters is hosting it's Annual Asian Food and Music Festival on Saturday, March 19th. Please join us for this extraordinary event. This Fundraising is not just a way to support our School Orchestra, it is also a highly entertaining event with Dinner and Show. The tickets are $18 for Dinner and Show and $12 for Show only. There will be numerous Raffle ticket drawings. The four Grand Prizes for this year are Play Station 4, $250 Visa Gift Card, Apple Watch, Fitbit Charge HR along with over hundred additional prizes. Raffle Ticket is $1 each. Come join us for Food and Entertainment and to be a lucky winner of one of the Raffle Prizes.
Class of 2016 Elementary Reunions
- Thomas Elementary
- Daffron Elementary "New"
Thomas Elementary - Join your fellow Texans and former teachers as we celebrate your accomplishments. Thursday, May 26th from 4:30-5:30 in the Thomas Library
- Refreshments provided
- Bring old photos, yearbooks, memorabilia
- Please let friends know who are not in a PISD school
Questions? Please email or call Amy Rouquette at Amy.Rouguette@pisd.edu or call 469-752-3583
"New" Daffron Elementary - The Daffron Elementary PTA board would like to invite graduating seniors back to the school for a casual reception in their honor. The reception will be on Wednesday, May 11th from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. in the Daffron library. We will serve light refreshments and have fun looking at their old yearbook and class video. The graduating seniors may visit the PTA website http://www.daffronpta.org/ to download the event flyer and scholarship application.