Hi Conway #OneFamily!
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We cannot wait to begin this year with you and your family! We are extremely hopeful for a year that is filled with consistent schedules, high energy, safety, and incredible learning for all kids! We are so fortunate to have your family here with us. It is a true honor to serve your family and to help our community dig out of Covid. Below are some big details about the school year, upcoming events, and what you can expect from us over the next few weeks and months. As always, if you have any questions, concerns, worries, wonders, etc. please, please, please just reach out to Michele, Niki, or me via email, phone calls or texts. We are always here to help!
Thanks and can't wait to see you and your family very soon!
Information for the 2021-2022 School Year:
- Masks and social distancing: We are waiting on a decision from the SCPS school board about masks. As soon as I know their decision, I will let you know.
- Cleaning: We have the best cleaning team I have ever had. The leader has been with me at Conway for 12 years and the other members of the team have been here for 6 years. They treat Conway as their home. They clean surfaces around the entire building, bathrooms, door handles, desks, religiously and according to the SCPS mitigation plan. In addition, we spray every room, every evening with a disinfectant spray (approved by SCPS of course).
- Other mitigation strategies: As soon as the final plan is voted on by the board next week, I will send a detailed list of the mitigation strategies and other parts of the SCPS return to school plan.
- Lunch and Specials Schedule: Click here for our specials and lunch schedule. At this time, due to the space that is required to keep kiddos 3 ft social distanced in the lunch room, we cannot have any visitors for lunch. We hope this will change sooner than later.
- New Hours: Just a reminder that elementary has new hours this year. See the hours below.
Car Riders and Walkers: Here is the information below about these two dismissal options. We will personally talk to you the week of August 2nd to confirm your dismissal plans for your kiddo. If you plan to do a mix of bus and car rider, please go ahead and fill out this form below as well.
To fill out the form, simply click on the link, make a copy of it, and then send it back to us @ email@example.com.
- Bus Information: Bus information will be available the week of August 2nd. Click HERE to check your child's bus number, pick up and drop off times, and bus stop information.
The Week of August 2nd:
- Monday: You will receive an email from your child's teacher welcoming your family to the classroom. They will ask you in that email to confirm how your child is going home from school each day (every family is required to choose a default method home).
- Wednesday: Every teacher will be meeting with their families one on one via Google Meet throughout Wednesday or possibly a few other days (to coordinate with your schedule). We found this was an incredible way for us to get to know your family and child prior to ever beginning the year. Open Houses are far too chaotic to truly talk about your child and your family's hopes and dreams for the year.
- Thursday: For any family that wants to come in to check out your child's home away from home, check out information booths, sign up for walkers or car riders, get bus information, etc. come on in! We would love to have you! We will not have rooms open for this, but you can walk all around the building to map out your path to your room. In addition, we will have tons of people in the hallways to help. Our teachers will not be here this evening as they will be giving their time to the 1 on 1 meetings throughout the week. If you wish to attend, here are the times:
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - All families whose last name begins with A-L.
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM - All families whose last name begins with M - Z.
7:00 PM - Virtual Town Hall with Principals - Join us at Town Hall Meeting for Parents
at this link to answer any questions you have for the upcoming school year.
The mask policy for open house will be sent out with the updated mask policy from the board early next week.
Monday, August 9th: First Day of SCHOOL!
- YMCA Application: Attached to the email that this was sent on is information about our Before and After School program through the YMCA. An application is also attached.
New Staff Members
New Teachers - (from last newsletter). We are only losing three teachers for next year. Mrs. McDonough is leaving due her husband's new orders (He is a Marine); Mrs. Sumpter has been traveling from Richmond for a year and now will be working near her home; Mrs. DePeal will be staying home to have a baby. In addition, Mrs. Bergerud, one of our counselors retired this year. While it stinks to lose these amazing people, we have worked hard to find amazing replacements for them. In addition, we were given additional positions to help keep the ratios low and thus we have a few additional positions we have hired teachers for. We would like to welcome the following teachers to our #OneFamily. Click on their name for an introduction video:
- Matthew Bailey - Counselor (we were given a third counselor position this year :)
- Jamie Shull - Counselor
- Michelle Stalteri - Kindergarten Teacher
- Kim Mueller - 1st Grade Teacher
- Michelle Benke - 3rd Grade Teacher
- Megan Reed - 1st Grade Teacher
- Katie Holloway - 3rd Grade Teacher
- Frances Lewis - Owate - 2nd / 3rd Grade LD Teacher (video coming soon)
- Faith Harvin - 5th Grade Teacher
- Jordan Guadagnino - Will be moving from 4th grade to 2nd grade.
- Nicole Puckett - Will be moving from 2nd grade to 5th grade.
- Marissa Smith - Will be moving from 5th to 4th grade.
How to Translate Smore
- How to Translate Smore newsletters: If you would like to translate this newsletter into another language, please click on these links for directions on how to do that. Directions in English click here. Directions in Espanol click here. Directions in Pashto click here . Directions in Dari click here.
FredFoodVA: Download this App to locate all of the food resources in the area.
- Family Resource Access Line - This free communication tool helps provide equitable access to SCPS resources. Families may leave a message for translators in seven native languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, French, Pashto, Spanish, and Urdu. Translators will return your call in 2 business days. To access this service, please call (571) 492-9270.
This feedback button will be here every week. Please use it to commend a teacher or staff member or provide feedback to help us get better at serving your family and kiddo.