March 7, 2016
I hope you had a great weekend. Mother nature has yet to make up her mind officially, but it has not been too bad. We rounded out the week with a pretty nice Sunday. We continue to approach Spring Break, and, hopefully, warmer weather is on the horizon.
As we get closer to the Spring Break, our students start to get a little more distracted. Structure certainly prevents distraction from manifesting itself into larger issues, so please continue to do the wonderful things that you have been doing within your classrooms. Tight instructional practices certainly impact behavior. In addition, please continue to help supervise the hallways and to issue and check hall passes. This makes a huge difference; your help is certainly appreciated.
Thank you for all that you do to make FHN a great place to grow and learn. Have a great week!
Five Quick Facts
1. I have four brothers and three sisters. I am number five of eight.
2. I graduated from John Marshall High School in Rochester, New York.
3. I am half Japanese. My mom was born and raised in Japan and met my dad when he was in the Army and stationed in Japan.
4. My husband, son and I moved here in 1997. My son graduated from Howell High in 2003.
5. I enjoy gardening and traveling. My husband enjoys riding his motorcycle and I enjoy seeing new places and eating out so I go along for the ride.
Mike Janes is up next!
- Congratulations to the FHN choir. They had 10 students qualify for state.
- Congratulations to FHN band. 38 students qualified for state.
- James Dohrman earned a 36 on the ACT. Great Job, James. That is an awesome accomplishment.
Tools for your Toolbox:
The 3 sentence wrap-up:
The 3 sentence wrap-up requires students to be selective when determining what is most important. After instruction or when finished reading, teachers ask students to summarize what was taught/presented/read in three sentences or less. Students can pair-share their summaries or use it as an exit ticket from class. It is helpful to use a sentence starter such as, “Today’s class was mostly about…” or “Today I learned….”.
Knights @ 90: Through the month of February, FHN has had 89.89% of students attending 90% of the time. With only 2 ½ months to go, please remind students of our school’s goal and remind them that “Every Day Matters”
Here is the link for the February 1st period attendance survey: https://docs.google.com/a/g.fhsdschools.org/forms/d/1vUsHH6Vr5zoTH1R00LkPNmkvm6ymFshuTucMGXhnNwI/viewform
When completing a discipline referral, please be sure to use the updated triplicate referrals and leave the pink sheet attached. If you need these, they are in the main office.
The Climate Committee met on Monday last week. We discussed notes from the Staff Chat and examined the Student Survey data. We will provide a summary of important points from the Staff Chat at the next faculty meeting. The committee will also be planning a student discussion panel to help us glean more information from our Student Survey Data from the student perspective.
The Technology Committee will be meeting on Thursday, March 10 after school in the main office conference room.
EOC and ACT Testing Window
4/11- 4/19 ELA, Alg 2, and Gov
4/25- 5/3 Alg 1 and Bio