Principal Update: Week of April 19
Connecting * Informing * Supporting
From Principal Andrews
It was so good to be back at GMA this week! I missed our students and staff so much. Just a few reminders for this week:
- We are hopeful that next year will be a little closer to normal for our school, and we need your help! We have vacant positions on the PTA Board as well as other activities that our PTA sponsors. We are also looking for members to serve on our School Improvement Council (SIC). Please complete this survey to indicate interest in helping out next year.
- Consider donating to our PTA "No Fundraiser" fundraiser. We are collecting donations, in any amount, to help us fund various school projects and needs. Donate Today!
- We are excited about our Summer Bridge Program, aimed at providing additional academic support during the summer to prepare students for the next grade level. Parents may sign up online to register their student. Please do so by April 23. Have questions? Contact Randy Jenkins at 355-5617.
- Have you moved? Please update your address with the school. Provide two proofs of residency to the school and contact Sherry Coleman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 864-355-5604.
- The 2021-2022 Transportation Request Form (English | Spanish) is now available. If your student's method of transportation will change next year, please complete this form and return it to Sherry Coleman as soon as possible. This applies to current virtual and brick-and-mortar students.
- Mark your calendars! Both brick-and-mortar and virtual program students will be administered the SC READY and SCPASS assessments. On the three days that virtual program students will test in the building, our in-person students will be at home for eLearning. Please visit our school website for more information.
In this week's GMA Bulletin, you'll find information about:
- State Testing Dates for SCREADY and SCPASS
- The PTA "No Fundraiser" Fundraiser
- 2021-22 PTA Board Nominations
- Greenville County Virtual Offerings for Summer and Fall 2021
- Lunch Menu this week
- Much more!
- April 23 - Erin's Law Program (7th Grade Only)
- April 23 - Deadline to Register for the GCS Virtual Program
- April 27 - AAPPL Testing (French Immersion 8th graders ONLY)
- April 29 - eLearning for In-Person Students / SC READY ELA 1 Test for Virtual Students
- April 30 - eLearning for In-Person Students / SC READY ELA 2 Test for Virtual Students
- May 6 - SCPASS Science for Virtual 6th Grade Students
- May 7 - eLearning for In-Person Students / SC READY Math Test for Virtual Students
- May 11 - SC READY ELA 1 Test for In-Person Students
- May 12 - SC READY ELA 2 Test for In-Person Students
- May 18 - SC READY Math Test for In-Person Students
- May 19 - SCPASS Science Test for In-Person 6th Grade Students
- May 26 - Algebra I EOC Test for In-Person AND Virtual Students
- May 31 - Memorial Day / School District Holiday
As always, thank you for your support of Greenville Middle Academy! Let's have a great week!
GMA is now accepting nominations for officer positions for next year's PTA Executive Board. Nominate yourself or others! Complete one nomination form per submission.
Dress Code Reminders
- Shorts, dresses, and skirts must be no higher than one ID card length from the top of the knee when standing up straight.
- All shirts/tops must be at least one ID card width at the shoulder. Low cut tops, tanks, and off-the shoulder shirts are prohibited.
- No see-through garments.
- No cut-off pants, yoga pants, biker shorts or pajamas.
- No midriffs (tops must meet bottoms); no skin showing between top and bottom.
- No skin showing through the jeans above the knee.
FREE School Meals to All Students for the 2020-2021
Greenville County Schools is providing FREE school meals to ALL students for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. There is no requirement to complete an application to receive this meal benefit. Breakfasts and lunches are available daily at all schools.
State Testing Dates - SCREADY & SCPASS
Greenville Middle's Testing Dates are listed below. Please make every effort to ensure students are present during testing days. In addition, there will be three eLearning dates for current in-person students in order to accommodate testing of virtual students in the building.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Principal Andrews or Jody Allison, our Instructional Coach.
Helpful Parent Links about Testing
Reminders about Testing:
- Doctors appointments or other out of school functions should not be scheduled during testing times.
- Cell phones, smart watches, and other electronics should be turned off and stored in bookbags or left at home. Students may not be in possession of any electronic devices that can be used for communicating, timing, creating images, or storing images. If brought into the test session, they will be collected by the test administrator and returned after the test session is complete. There is a protocol for devices necessary for medical monitoring.
- Please review the schedule for testing dates and times. The tests are not timed. The students may actively work on the test as long as needed, but they must complete the test by the end of the school day. The majority of the students are projected to finish around 11:30 each morning.
- Students will be provided state testing accommodations according to IEP, 504, or ESOL plans.
- The policy for calculator use may be found at this website: https://ed.sc.gov/tests/tests-files/sc-ready-files/sc-ready-calculator-use-policy-for-2017-18/
- Online Practice Tests for all subjects are available at this website: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/SC/portals/sc/. Click on the white link "Online tools training" below the square labeled SCPASS/SCREADY.
Enroll in GCS Virtual Program for 2021-22
Students who enroll after the second window closes will be placed on a waitlist and will be scheduled based on availability in the Virtual Program.
Parents who enrolled their child in the 2021-22 Virtual Program during the first round but have since changed their mind and wish to return to brick-and mortar school should contact their child’s school by Friday, April 23 to make the change.
Complete details are posted on the GCS website at www.greenville.k12.sc.us.
2021-22 Transportation Forms Now Available
If the method of transportation is going to change, we need you to complete the 2021-2022 Transportation Request Form (English | Spanish) and return it to Ms. Coleman, our Guidance Clerk, as soon as possible. This applies to current virtual and brick-and-mortar students.
If the transportation method is not going to change for next year, you do not need to complete the form.
Is Your Address Up-To-Date?
As we are preparing for the next school year's registration, it is most important that we have your correct address information on file. This determines the school your student will attend.
Also, keep in mind that the final report cards are mailed at the end of the school year. All address changes require proper documentation (two proofs of residency) to be presented to the school.
If you have moved or will be moving, please email Sherry Coleman, our Registrar, by email at email@example.com or phone at 864-355-5604.
The "No Fundraiser" PTA School Fundraiser
Greenville County Virtual Program - Summer & Fall 2021
- Registration for GCVSP Summer term begins April 26, 2021 and is through the School Counselor. The required application documents, signed by parent and student, are to be submitted directly in person or by email to the student's School Counselor prior to electronic registration. For the application documents, click on the link: Student Application Packet
- Registration in classes will end June 9.
- Class Dates for Summer Term 2021: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Students must have a computer and daily internet access in order to participate in the program.
6th Grade Tdap Requirement
Attention all 6th grade parents: South Carolina law states that ALL students are required to have the Tdap vaccine BEFORE they enter 7th grade. This means that your 6th grader should get the vaccination during his/her annual doctor visit this year. The Tdap vaccine can be obtained at your primary health care provider, the Health Department, or various walk-in clinics.
Please make sure your student has the Tdap vaccine this year and have the vaccine certificate sent to school as soon as it is completed. If your child already had the Tdap vaccine, please send a copy of the immunization form into school to ensure that we have it on record. Your child will not be able to attend the 7th grade until we have this form on record at school.
Thank you in advance for your help. Please feel free to contact GMA's School Nurse, Catherine Manske, with any questions.
High School Information
Greenville High School
Future Raiders! Are you a rising 7th, 8th or 9th grader that is zoned for Greenville High School and want to try out for the 2021-2022 Greenville High Varsity Cheerleading Program? Please be sure to complete the Google form to receive up-to-date information about tryouts. At this time we are having off-season practices at CCTC on Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30 PM. Please join the squad to better prepare for tryouts in the Spring. Please share this information with anyone you think would be interested. They must be zoned or enrolled for Greenville High School. As always, GO RAIDERS and follow us on Instagram @greenvillehighcheerleading! Tryout Interest Form
Greetings from Greenville High School! Since we are unable to have our Rising Raider Showcase this year, we have made a virtual bitmoji classroom to take its place. Click on the link to the Google Slides Presentation. Viewers just need to “view presentation” and then all of the items in the room are linked to videos, information about the school, registration, the teachers, important dates, and more.
Eastside High School
EHS PTSA is currently looking for new chairs for several committees. Our openings are chairs for the positions listed below. They are each only a one year commitment. No one will be left to create anything on their own. We have lots of notes and a good number of our current board is staying intact including president and vice president.
- Ways and Means sub committes
Anyone interested may reach out to Virginia Crews at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southside High School - The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Southside High School provides students with a rigorous course of study to help prepare them for university success and life beyond high school. Students may elect to complete the full diploma program or earn a certificate in one or more areas of study. In order to complete the diploma program students study six subjects over the course of two years. Learn more about the SHS Program.
Career Explorer helps students forge a future within some of the fastest-growing careers and industries in South Carolina. It provides information on the pay rate, expected job growth and number of openings for a variety of high-demand jobs.
Check out Career Explorer!
Scholarship and Awards Programs - Information and Deadlines
- $100,000 - 100 Awards (Deadline; May 1, 2021)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be a student between the ages of 4 and 18 (as of the date the entry is submitted)
Nominate a Teacher for the WYFF Golden Apple Award
Use this Nomination Form to complete your entry. This link will prompt you to make a copy, click make a copy and complete your nomination. Once finished, print and mail your entry to:
WYFF News 4
Golden Apple Award
505 Rutherford Street
Greenville, SC 29609
Set Up Parent Backpack - An App for Parents & Guardians
Parent Backpack is an online application that allows parents and guardians to view your student's grades, school attendance, and discipline when you are logged into the system. Parent Backpack works on any device and is mobile-friendly.
To access Parent Backpack, go to https://parents.gcsbackpack.com and create an account. Please access directions by clicking on Creating a Parent Backpack Account.
PTA Memberships - The Backbone of Our School Community!
Please join the GMA PTA. Membership is $5. Our membership goal is to have 100% membership participation. Our PTA supports students and staff. Money raised goes towards staff appreciation, school improvement and end-of-the-year events.
Memberships are available in the virtual school store at: https://gma.memberhub.store/.
Tech Talk Tuesdays
Missed seeing Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age? Need resources and strategies for talking with your teen about screen time balance and other heavy topics?
Sign up for Dr. Delaney Ruston's weekly newsletter and check out her website, full of resources for parents and guardians who want to raise screen-wise and tech-balanced youth.
eLearning Tab On Our Website
Here are a few resources that you will find on this page:
- Parent Video Guide to Google Classroom
- Google Guardian Feature (Summary emails about your student's missing work, upcoming work, and class activity)
- Parents’ Guide to Google Classroom / La guía de los padres para Aula de Google
- Accessing Google Classroom Files and Websites while Offline / Accediendo a Google Classroom Archivos y sitios web sin conexión
- Directions to Authenticate Your Chromebook
Updated COVID Guide for Students & Parents
The GCS Return to In-Person Instruction Timeline can be found on our school website.
- South Carolina's DHEC website has a website that shows COVID-19 testing locations. The interactive map is available here.
- Masks are required for all students and staff when entering and exiting the building. Masks will also be worn during transitions from class to class and whenever seated in the plexiglass pods.
- Social distancing of at least six feet is critically important. DHEC requires an exclusion from school for 10-14 days for anyone who tests positive for COVID and all close contacts.
CLOSE CONTACT & EXCLUSION FROM SCHOOL
- Close contacts are defined as individuals who spend at least 15 cumulative minutes within six feet of a person while he/she is contagious with COVID. Individuals with COVID are believed to be contagious for up to 48 hours before they develop symptoms or test positive (if asymptomatic).
Students with symptoms of COVID-19 should be excluded from school if they have any one of the following with or without fever:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing -or-
- Loss of taste or smell -or-
- New or worsening cough