Endangered & Extinct Species
Star cactus (Astrophytum asterias)
- Endangered, Listed 10/18/1993
- Carries fruit that can grow up to be half an inch. April-June
- Pollinators have not been recently seen.
- 2-6 inches across 1-2 inches tall.
- Loss of habitat threatens this species.
Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas)
- largest sea turtles and the only herbivore among the different species.
- threatened by overharvesting of their eggs, hunting of adults, being caught in fishing gear and loss of nesting beach sites.
- maintains the seagrass beds and makes them more productive
Red Wolf (Canis Rufus)
- weighs 45-80 pounds.
- Exist mainly in North Carolina.
- Became extinct 1980.
- Hybridization with Coyotes or Red Wolf x Coyote hybrids is the primary threat to the species' persistence in the wild.