Titan Talk Newsletter
March 8, 2019
BeYOUtiful WEEK: MARCH 12-15
BOOK FAIR WEEK: MARCH 12 - 15
- 3/9 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon.
- 3/10 - Daylight Savings Time - Spring Ahead!
- 3/11 - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS - Professional Development Day (students off)
- 3/11 - SGC Elections Begin
- 3/12- Start of the Book Fair
- 3/12 - Start of BeYOUtiful Week
- 3/12 - Coding club, after-school
- 3/12 - Hampton Film Academy after-school
- 3/12 - Track Practice after-school (Ingram)
- 3/12 - Rising 6th Grade Meeting @ 6 pm (Cafeteria)
- 3/12 - Junior Hornet Cheer Info @ 6 pm in the Mountain Park Elementary Cafeteria
- 3/13 - Drama Club after-school
- 3/14 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the media center
- 3/14 - 7th Grade Field Trip sponsored by the PTSA
- 3/14 - Track Practice after-school (Ingram)
- 3/14 - Hampton Film Academy after-school
- 3/14 - Multicultural Club after-school
- 3/14 - Reunión de 6to grado que se levanta a las 6 pm (cafetería)
- 3/15 - 7th & 8th grade AVID Applications Due to Mrs. Meredith Tongue
- 3/15 - Shave Your Head Challenge @ EPMS with Coach James Tongue
- 3/15 - Running Club after-school
- 3/19 - Dos Margaritas Spirit Night!
- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS: MARCH 11
- BOOK FAIR: MARCH 12 - 15
- BeYOUtiful WEEK: MARCH 12-15
- ENGLISH 6th GRADE TRANSITION MEETING: MARCH 12
- SPANISH 6th GRADE TRANSITION MEETING: MARCH 14
- INTERNATIONAL NIGHT: MARCH 21
- TITAN ADVANTAGES: MARCH 16 & MARCH 23
Calendar Dates to Note:
MIDDLE SCHOOL TRANSITION INFORMATION
RISING TO THE 6TH GRADE
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
6:00 pm in the evening
Elkins Pointe Cafeteria, 11290 Elkins Road, Roswell, GA 30076
THIS EVENT IS FOR PARENTS ONLY!
NFORMACIÓN DE TRANSICIÓN DE LA ESCUELA MEDIA
PROMOCION AL 6TO GRADO
Jueves 14 de Marzo de 2019
6:00 pm en la tarde
Cafetería Elkins Pointe, 11290 Elkins Road, Roswell, GA 30076
¡ESTE EVENTO ES SOLO PARA PADRES!
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
On behalf of every teacher, staff member, and administrator at Elkins Pointe, I would like to thank the parents and our PTSA from the bottoms of our hearts for the incredible Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week! The generosity of our parents never ceases to amaze me (us). You continue to go over and beyond to make us feel special, appreciated, and supported! We are so blessed, and we will forever be grateful for all that you do!
Thank you to all who made our first ever Girls Week a huge success. We had an incredible turn out for the workshops. I want to take a moment to acknowledge all of the contributors...and there were many! Thank you to Dr. Weathersby, Ms. Washington, Ms. Sims, Ms. White-Hayes. Ms. Gee, Ms. Gallagher, Ms. Thomas, Ms.Schulte, Ms. Hunt, Ms. Young, Ms. Hawkins, Ms. Ingram. Ms. Williams, Ms. Parent-Lew, Ms. Bennett, Ms. Suckow, Ms. Scott-Hooper, Ms. Hairston, Ms. Crawford, Ms. O'Hanlon Cowles, Mrs. Newman, Ms. Rickson, Dr. Duncan, Ms. Dease, Miss Ainara, and Miss Denise. Thank you also to the Delta GEMs for being our inspiration and sponsor. We are already looking forward to repeating Girls Week next year!
I want to express my gratitude to our current members and the candidates of the Elkins Pointe SCG (School Governance Council). Our current SGC voted to approve the 2019-2020 budget. The election process will be starting on Monday, March 11th. I am very appreciative to our parents and teachers for their willingness to run for a seat on our council. Shared governance through SGC is an integral part of our school, and I would love for 100% participation in the election. So, let's rock the vote Elkins Pointe!
Monday, March 11th is a Fulton County Teacher Workday. Titan students will have an extra day to adjust to Daylight Savings Time. Enjoy the extra day on your weekend parents and students. On Tuesday, we look forward to seeing you at the "Spring Ahead" Book Fair and BeYoutiful Week!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
SMART, HAPPY, CONNECTED
The Bees Knees!
Pointe Team Visits
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Luncheon
Beach Party Breakfast
PTSA Appreciation & Thanks!
TITAN MARKET PLACE
Adirondack Chairs For Sale
- One chair is $50
- Two chairs are $90
- A bench is $60
These items are all built from wood from the Elkins Pointe property. They were built, stained and assembled by EPMS construction students. If you would like to purchase one or more of these items, please email Mr. Daniel Moffit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to indicate the which item you would like to purchase.
* Chair size
38" tall x 34" long x 32" wide
SGC Candidate Statements - ELECTION STARTS MARCH 11TH
Voting is from March 11-18, 2019!
Parents and teachers will receive an e-mail with a voting link.
Parents no longer need Home Access codes to vote.
Please be on the lookout for your email ballot on March 11th!
Marnie Allen - Parent
Amy Little - Parent
David Paperno - Teacher
As a teacher at Elkins Pointe, I have also been able to bring in a new perspective in order to best meet the needs of the school. I have been able to do this at the school by interacting with both students, teachers, parents, and those in the community that do not currently attend the school. This along with having previously served on the school governance council and having worked on the current strategic plan for Elkins Pointe has made me want to continue my involvement in activities happening outside of my own classroom. Over the last two years, my experiences have allowed me to not only want to better understand what is needed in order to help drive the school toward excellence. Though I have served on the council previously for one year, I have been able to demonstrate leadership for the school through acting as the chair of the council while leading the school council through the strategic planning process and would like to continue my involvement in planning for Elkins Pointe.
Monique Erskine - Teacher
Amire Billups - Teacher
PTSA Needs You!
The Elkins Pointe PTSA is looking for parents to be part of the PTSA Board. If you would like to inquire about one of the open roles, please contact any of the members of the Nominating Committee: John Martinez, Allison Liguori, Lindsay Lavin, Sarah Ippolito, Kim Lawrence, Kristen Patterson (Alternate), Lisa Cowles (Alternate)
THINGS TO KNOW
2019 Book Fair Volunteers - 3/12-3/15
Mrs. Newman and Mrs. Rickson are asking for parent volunteers for help with the Spring Book Fair. Please sign up to assist during one or a few time slots.
- SignUpGenius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-2019
The book fair will take place on Tuesday thru Friday (3/12 - 3/15). No book fair on Monday (3/11) due to no classes for students that day. Set up will be on Friday, March 8th. Thank you for helping make the Book Fair a success!
BeYOUtiful Week! 3/12 to 3/15
Student Council Brings self-esteem awareness to Elkins Pointe Middle School! In order to promote positivity and increase self-esteem in the student body, Elkins Pointe Student Council will sponsor “BeYOUtiful Week” from March 12th through March 15th.
Let’s recognize that beauty is from within. It does not matter what you wear, look like, how much money you make or where you come from.
BeYOUtiful is about spreading awareness of Self-Love.
- TUESDAY - Student Activity – “Leave your personal inspirations on the board.” – Students will write personal inspirations on a sticky note and post on chart paper in the rotunda.
- WEDNESDAY - Student Activity – Students will use their social media to tag someone with a compliment and receive a treat.
- THURSDAY - Student Activity - Students will “boost their selfiesteem” by taking a selfie at the Selfie Booth to combat the negative impact of media on self- image.
- FRIDAY - Student Activity – ‘Catwalk with Courage’ – A long piece of red paper will be taped to the floor in the Rotunda, and students can walk to the end to exemplify their end to body shame and poor self-esteem.
Junior Hornet Cheer Info Meeting - 3/12
There is an information and sign up meeting on March 12 at 6 pm in the Mountain Park Elementary Cafeteria. Come hear about this award-winning program and how your daughter can be a part of it. For more information email email@example.com or visit our website at https://www.rjhcheer.com/
Roswell Junior Hornet cheer is open to all rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders zoned for Roswell High School. We have a sideline team for each grade and a competition team made up of all grades. Tryouts for next year's Junior Hornet Cheer Team are April 8-11.
Rising 6th Grade Parent Meetings - 3/12 (English) & 3/14 (Spanish)
Rising 6th grade parents should mark the calendar for the 6th Grade Transition Meeting. Elkins Pointe will host two meetings, one in English on March 12th and one in Spanish on March 14th. This event is for parents only.
- ENGLISH PARENT MEETING is on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in the CAFETERIA, Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- SPANISH PARENT MEETING is on Thursday, March 14, 2019, in the Cafeteria, Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
Roswell High School Cheerleading Meeting - 3/13
Roswell High School Cheerleading Pre-Tryout Meeting will be on Wednesday, March 13th at 6:00 pm in the RHS Media Center.
- Packets with all necessary paperwork needed to try out
- Clinic and tryout procedures
- Expectations for the upcoming season
- Clinic: March 25-27 in the RHS Auxiliary Gym
- Tryouts: March 28th (4:00 Varsity, 5:00 JV, and 5:45 Freshman)
7th Grade Field Trip
The PTSA is sponsoring the 7th grade to have field experience on Thursday, March 14th to see "A Wrinkle in Time" at the Roswell Cultural Arts Center, Roswell GA. The cost is $0 - PTSA funded through the “Beyond the Walls” field experience project.
Permission slips required! Please print out and return ASAP!
The Georgia Ensemble Theatre will be offering a one-of-a-kind immersive art experience for our students. This unforgettable experience also supports cross-curriculum integration through exposure to the arts and literature. We will leave Elkins Pointe on Thursday, March 14th at 11:31 am and will return by 1:45 pm. The students will travel by Fulton County school buses and we will have several adult chaperones, including administration and teachers.
Check out the Georgia Ensemble Theatre website at www.get.org featuring the cast and crew of the play where the students will experience “A Wrinkle in Time,” for a 60-minute performance. Students should wear school appropriate clothing as it is an instructional day. Students with behavior infractions of ISS and OSS prior to the trip will not attend the play, however, they are expected to attend school. There will be a teacher who will stay back to provide instruction to these students.
Multicultural Club - 3/14
AVID Applications Due - 3/15
Rising 7th and 8th graders who want to apply for AVID will have a chance to do so in March. Applications will be available starting March 1st and completed applications will be due on Friday, March 15th. Please email Mrs, Meredith Tongue, Elkins Pointe AVID Teacher & Coordinator if you have any questions: TongueM@fultonschools.org.
The Elkins Pointe Middle School AVID program is changing how we recruit AVID 6th graders. Next year Elkins Pointe will offer an “AVID Academy” the first semester for all 6th-grade students, which will expose them to AVID tools and resources that all students will be able to build upon to get their middle school experience off on the right note. Students will have the opportunity to apply for AVID in the Fall of 2019, and those who are chosen will begin taking the class second semester (January 2020).
Graduation Coach Tongue's "Shave Your Head Challenge" - 3/15
It is that time of year again when I raise some money by shaving my head and shaving or cutting the hair of other staff members and students to help out a good cause. I will be raising money this year to support Officer Jones and his campaign to help the Special Olympics.
I will be passing out sign up sheets to students today. I am asking that anyone who wants to get their head shaved or get 10" of hair cut off to try to raise $50. The money will go towards Officer Jones' campaign and any hair I cut will go to https://www.wigs4kids.org/
If you are interested in shaving your head or donating hair, please click HERE for the permission form.
If you just want to donate $ to Special Olympics please click here to donate to Officer Jones Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run Team.
Elkins Pointe Middle School
11290 Elkins Road
Roswell, GA 30076
Spirit Night - 3/19
International Night - 3/21
MARCH MADNESS FOOD DRIVE - Now to 3/26
The Interact Club is conducting a MARCH MADNESS FOOD DRIVE. Please send all food donations to Room E114. March Madness starts Friday, March 8th, and ends on Tuesday, March 26th.
Instant Oatmeal, Granola Bars, Goldfish, Chips, Mini Cereals, Welch’s fruit snacks, Capri Sun Juice Boxes, Crackers, Bottled Water, Chex Mix, Juice Boxes, Go-Go Squeeze Applesauce, Pretzels
RISING 6TH GRADE PARENTS
AVID Process for Rising 6th Grade
6th Grade Transition Dates 2019
Pointe Team Members Visit Elementary Schools on Tuesday, March 5, 2019:
- Mimosa – 9:00 – 9:45
- Sweet Apple – 10:00 – 10:45
- Vickery Mill – 11:00 – 11:45
- Hembree Springs – 1:30 – 2:15
Rising 6th Grade Parent Meetings:
ENGLISH PARENT MEETING is on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in the CAFETERIA
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the GYM
SPANISH PARENT MEETING is on Thursday, March 12, 2019, in the Cafeteria
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Rising 6th Grader Visits to EPMS:
- Mimosa Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Vickery Mill Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Sweet Apple Elementary – May 16, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Hembree Springs – May 17, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
GA Milestones Testing Dates (Grades 4, 6, 7):
- May 6 - Reading
- May 7-8 – ELA
- May 9-10 – Math
- May 13-14 Make-Up Days
IN THE COMMUNITY
Teen Forum 2019 – “Level Up For A Better You” - 3/16
MRAC’s Teen Forum annually draws 300 Metro Atlanta students and their parents to engage with leading Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math professionals about the skills and opportunities that are positively disrupting our learning, business career landscapes.
Students and parents/guardians can expect a light breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon workshop tracks presented by subject-matter experts in our event’s five STEAM focus areas.
This year Marietta-Roswell Alumnae Chapter will host our annual Teen Forum from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Lindley Middle School (50 Veterans Memorial Hwy, Mableton GA 30126). This day of wellness workshops will concentrate on our theme “Level Up to a Better You.”
This year, student participants will engage in workshops during the morning and afternoon. Workshops will feature topics within Nutritional Wellness, Financial Wellness, Mental Wellness, Digital Wellness, and Fitness.
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required and ends March 12, 2019.
For more information contact the Teen Forum Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org