APW Jr/Sr HS Newsletter
Back to School Edition 21-22
Welcome Back APW Students!
It is an honor to serve you as I begin this school year as your Principal of APW Jr/Sr High School. I am also pleased to introduce our new Assistant Principal Intern, Mrs. Tanner. We look forward to a productive partnership with our families this year, as we believe that a strong home and school connection is paramount to each students’ academic and social/emotional success. We welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education.
Mrs. Jennifer O'Malley & Mrs. Shannon Tanner
APW Jr/Sr HS Principal & Assistant Principal Intern
Overview of the 21-22 School Year
In-person instruction, 5 days a week.
We will continue with 3 feet of social distancing.
Students and staff will be required to wear masks when inside a school building.
- Students will not be required to wear masks during mask breaks, when outside, and when eating during lunch.
- Children will be required to wear masks on the bus.
COVID 19- Safety Measures
- Masks are required for all individuals (faculty, staff, students and visitors) while indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks will not be required for outdoor events.
- Masks are required for all individual when on buses.
- Physical distancing of three feet indoors, where possible, with local discretion.
It is important to note that information and data regarding the transmission level of COVID-19 in our county, as well as throughout the United States, is changeable. As conditions change, our intentions for the unknown are to continue to look to the CDC for their expert guidance.
Meet Your Counselor!
Mrs. Marci Coppola
Guidance Counselor A-K
Mr. Richard Algie
Guidance Counselor L-Z
Mrs. Courtney Streifert
Student Schedules & School Tool
- Student schedules will be available to view online on Friday, August 27th, 2021.
- Students/parents will need to sign into Schooltool to view their child's schedule.
- In addition, a paper schedule will be sent home on Monday, August 30th with additional back to school information.
- If there is something that needs to be changed on your child's schedule, please email their counselor directly.
- The district utilizes a student management system called SchoolTool to track grades, attendance, and discipline. All parents/guardians who have an email on file with the district will be able to set up a Parent Portal Account. Please use this link provided to get access to the portal.
Student Schedules/Add/Drop Approval
- Students who wish to request to Drop/Add a course may do so by talking to their Guidance Counselor. Requests must be filed between September 8th and September 17th, 2021. Approval is based on your child’s academic needs, with approval from a parent.
APW Jr/Sr HS 2021-2022 Course Catalog is available online on the school website on the Guidance page or by clicking HERE.
Jr/Sr High School Contacts
APW Attendance line: 315-625-5220 then choose option 1
APW Attendance Email: email@example.com
There is no virtual learning this year.
***This means that in order to be marked as “present” your student must attend school in person.
Signing students in:
- Late incoming students can sign themselves in at the main office. It is not necessary for a parent to come in with them.
Signing students out:
- No student is allowed to sign themselves out.
- A parent/guardian (who are already on this list as eligible to pickup) must come into the office with a valid ID to sign the student out.
***The Only Exception:
Student drivers (11th and 12th graders) are allowed sign themselves out with a parent’s verbal permission. (i.e. parent must call the main office to give permission)
- Students are marked as “unexcused” until a parent calls in a verbal excuse or sends in a written excuse. A written excuse can be a note sent to the school or an email from a parent sent to the attendance email address listed above.
- If a student is going to be missing an extended amount of school, please let us know in advance so we act accordingly.
A Quick Note from the School Nurses
We hope you have had a wonderful summer! We are doing our best to follow all guidelines to keep our students and staff safe and healthy. Here are a few reminders for this school year:
- Any child sent to school with visible symptoms of illness will be isolated and sent home. A note from your child's provider will be required to return to school.
- All mandated immunizations have to be completed within the first 2 weeks of school to prevent exclusion.
- Any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) REQUIRES an order from your child's medical doctor.
- Updated physicals are mandated for your child to participate in any school sport.
- When filling out your registration on Family ID, a parent AND student signature are required in order to clear the student to play.
Should you have questions or concerns, we recommend following this chain of communication:
Where can I find additional information?
APW Jr/Sr HS Social Media Updates
Social media will be used to showcase student achievement and communicate important activities and events throughout the school year. You can follow APW Jr/Sr HS updates on:
Classwork and Agenda
Grades/Attendance/Progress reports/Report cards/Discipline
Upcoming Events & Information
APW Jr/Sr High School Webpage
APW CSD Facebook Page
APW Jr/Sr HS Facebook Page
Student Parking Application
Most classwork and homework are to be completed on Chromebooks. However, there are still some basic supplies each student should be prepared with.
- Pens and Pencils
- 1-2 Notebooks
- 1-2 Folders
*Should a teacher require something more specific, students will be aware of this on the first day of class.
Outside Food & Drink Policy
Students are still able to bring a packed lunch to eat during their designated lunch period ONLY. Students are also able to bring a reusable water bottle from home to use throughout the day. Water bottle fill stations will be available to students.
There will be water available in the athletic entrance and cafeteria vending machines.
APW Code of Conduct 2021-2022
Please be sure to review the APW Code of Conduct for the 2021-2022 school year.
Student Drop-Off/Pick-Up and Student Drivers
If you choose to drive your child to school or you are a 12th grade student driver with an approved parking pass, you will be dropping off and entering the building through the Athletic Entrance on the right side of the school. Please refer to the document included in your back to school packet that will explain this procedure.
- Each student will receive a Chromebook to use for the school year
- They will be expected to bring it back to school each day
- Should a student forget it at home, they will be able to sign one out for the day as they would a library book. Loaners are limited and not guaranteed if a student forgets their Chromebook.
- Please be sure to have your Chromebook fully charged everyday!
- If you have a device from last year, please bring it to school to have us inventory and check it over.
▲NEW THIS YEAR▲
- If a student loses or damages a Chromebook and/or a charger that student will be charged for damages.
- Pricing for these pieces of equipment will be listed on the Technology Agreement, which will be sent home for a parent’s reference and signature.