Mrs. Cormack's Class Newsletter
For the Week of August 26th-30th
Week in Review
What We Will Be Learning Next Week
Reading: In reading this week, students will learn how to choose a "Just Right" book from the libraries at school. Students will also practice reading to self for longer amounts of time (building stamina!). We will ease into our first unit of study, which will be studying the elements of a fictional story, beginning with setting and character traits.
Social Studies: The focus in Social Studies this week will be on communities. We will use a variety of resources such as our textbooks and teacher-created graphic organizers to help us learn about citizenship, the responsibilities of a good citizen, and about rules and fairness in our society.
Writing: This week will be devoted to setting up our Writing Workshop. Students will be introduced to our special writing paper, writing with pen (yes, pen!), our writing toolboxes, and sketching our ideas before writing.
On the Calendar and Birthdays
Tuesday, August 27th: Omar's BirthdayMonday, September 2nd: Labor Day, No School
Tuesday, September 3rd: Parent Night @ 5 o'clock in our room, C223
Thursday, September 5th: Kadey's Birthday
Friday, September 6th: First Library Day, Assembly, Grandparent's Lunch
Tuesday, September 10th: PTA Club Night
Wednesday, September 25th: Early Release, Parent Conference Day (pm)
- Handed out each Thursday (beginning September 5th)
- Please sign the sheet stapled inside the folder and return folders the next day
- Some classwork will be returned in the Thursday folders, but not many. We do most of our work in our notebooks, which come home on occassion for parent viewing.
- This week, quality work will be discussed at length with the class. Expecations for quality work will be shared at Parent Night. Please encourage your student to always do the best he/she can and remember that quality is also part of doing the work. Work done carelessly will result in a redo or receive a check minus.
- This Tuesday, September 3rd is our Parent Night starting at 5 o'clock in my room. I have shared the powerpoint presentations that will be covered via email and they are uploaded on my website. Please come!
Math Toolbox Explorations!
Omar and Jake explore the base ten blocks.
Mariam and Archita graph the number of birthdays in each month in our classroom. Great job, girls!
More math toolbox explorations
Kadey and Maddie explore the geo blocks.