Tech -knowledge-y @TEPS
by Lianne Tolman
Issue No.1 January 1, 2015
Getting ready for the New Year
Beginning of the Year Housekeeping Tips
1. Smartboard Stuff
- Turn on the laptop or computer that is connected to the smartboard and check that everything is working ok.
- Clean your smartboard filter (watch video for instructions)
- Make sure all speaker dials and switched off when not in use to extend life.
- Turn off Projectors when not in use (do not leave them on during lunch time/recess/for the next teacher). This is shortening the life of your projector globe, and over time, the projector itself.
- When projector is left on, and goes into stand-by mode (flashing green light on projector indicates stand-by mode), the fan is sucking up dust, the globe counter is ticking, wasting energy. This leads to having to clean the projector more than recommended (each fortnight).
- This also leads to having to replace globes earlier than usual. Globes in projectors that are used every day should last a minimum of 3 school terms. The absolute maximum amount of hours a globe should live is 2000 hours. It is not unusual for a globe to show signs of failing at around 1500 hours. (http://sts.sydneyr.det.nsw.edu.au/index.php/sr-ict-support/interactive-classroom-support)
Click on the buttons below to learn more !
3. TOP UP YOUR DIGITAL BACKPACK WITH SOME COOL TOOLS!
A list of the latest software/subscriptions available @TEPS. Click on the links to learn more.
SKOOLBO - We have a school subscription. Available on both iPad and computers. Logins remain the same. I will roll over student details for 2015 once classes are confirmed.
Lanschool - Classroom management software (click on the link to watch the tutorials). Currently available to use on Stage 2 and 3 laptops and top computer lab. Will be adding to the library soon.
NewsMaker - Let me know if you would like it added to your computer/s. This is a great program, but I was not able to get it added to our catalogue to do a mass push out, so will have to load onto computers one at a time via usb.
Scratch - available on all school computers. Let me know if it is missing from yours.
Kodu - Available on all school computers (PC only). Click on the link to access the classroom kit for educators.
MinecrafteEdu - available in the 21st Century Classroom.
Lego Mindstorms EV3 - software is loaded onto all school computers. Robotics available in 21st Century Classroom.
Studyladder - We have a school account -
ADD SOME WEB 2.0 FREEBIES INTO YOUR BACKPACK!!
VIDEO PICK OF THE WEEK!
Creativity at it's best!!
Enjoy the rest of your break!