Top TEN News @ Weston
March 13, 2020
1. The GCCSC Spring Break will be from March 16th - 27th. The building will be closed and this includes our school offices. Enjoy your time with family and friends!
2. COVID-19 and School Closure: Dr. Olin sent an email to families on the 12th with information about our school closure for the 13th and possibility of more closures in the future.
“School will reconvene on Monday, March 30th following our approved school calendar. At this time, we are planning that day to occur onsite. However, as more information becomes available, we may choose to conduct instruction virtually. We will continue to communicate with families via email. “
3. Here are some mental health resources that focus on COVID-19:
- The CDC Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19
- The Child Mind Institute's Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus. Students may experience hunger, abuse, or lack of healthcare in their homes and with their families. Know local resources and be prepared to help.
- National Association of School Psychologists' Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource
- SAMSHA's Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health: Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation During an Infectious Disease Outbreak
4. The Indiana Reading Evaluation and Determination (IREAD-3) assessment will take place the week of March 30 - April 3 for all GCCSC Grade 3 students. This assessment measures foundational reading standards to Grade 3 students each spring. Want to learn more about this assessment? Go to https://www.doe.in.gov/assessment/iread-3-families
5. The Indiana Learning Evaluation Assessment Readiness Network (ILEARN) assessment will take place the week of April 20 - May 5 for all GCCSC Grade 3 students. This assessment measures student achievement and growth according to Indiana Academic Standards. Want to learn more about this assessment? Go to https://www.doe.in.gov/assessment/ilearn
6. Are you looking for a preschool program? Check out our GCCSC Cougar Cubs . . . . info can be found below in the download section of this newsletter.
7. Kindergarten Round Up at Weston will be on April 7th. To enroll for Kindergarten children must turn 5 on or before August 1, 2020. Information about Early Entrance to Kindergarten can be found at https://www.gcsc.k12.in.us/.
8. Check out the video below to learn more about Kindergarten in GCSC.
9. RECYCLE! Weston Elementary will be collecting ‘plastic bottle’ caps for the next two weeks! Why . . . . to teach our students about the benefits of recycling. In return we can get a recycled park bench for the school grounds. The Purdue Extension office of Hancock Co. is assisting us with delivery and pick up :) See the download section below for more details.
10. Character Trait Winners for February can be found below. They were recognized for their Obedience!
Kindergarten: Back Row: Charlotte Buwalda, Quinton Conover, Cyrus Raley, Gavin Turner, Colten Schwamberger Front Row: Colin Ashley, Brennan Wing, Sarah Sargent, Camden Love Not pictured: Ana Hodge
1st grade: Back Row: Izabella Pope, Ember-Sky Roberts, Zoey Turpin, Ruby Foster, Gabe Ashley Middle Row: Scarlett Russell, Corrine Aton, Cole Meredith, Amelia North Front Row: Mariah Johnson, Ronan Robbins Not pictured: Parker Dreisbach
2nd grade: Back Row: Bethany Wing, Kaleigh Jackson, Aiden Johnisee, James Stringer, Carter Bolden Middle Row: Madyson Bordenkircher, Natalie Bragg, Fallon Hoskins, Hallie Wright Front Row: Beth Lantz, Ciara Hawk
3rd grade: Back Row: Carlos Alvarez, Adelyn Brewer, Leah Hammelman, Mason Parsons, Riley Batkin, Christian Rosalino Middle Row: Joseph Jarrett, Adyson Campbell, Payton Hubbard, Lily Capen, Allen Shaw Front Row: Sylus Gray, Zeke Rice, Madison Robbins, Megann Sexton, Colton McConnell
Recycling Project - March
Send in the appropriate caps so we can get a recycled park bench for Weston. See more info below.