5th Grade News!
January 19th - 22nd
- No School on Monday, January 18th!
- Please make sure that your child is dressed for colder weather during recess. We will go outside if the windchill is 38 degrees or higher. If windchill is 37 degrees or lower, we will have indoor recess.
- If your child would like to bring his or her own headphones to use with the computers, that is perfectly fine. However, they will be responsible for them.
KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS RAFFLE
WIN a night at the MOVIES!
1. Ensure your family and friends have linked their Kroger Plus cards to NORRIS ELEMENTARY PTA (https://www.kroger.com/communityrewards).
2. Shop at Kroger and use your Kroger Plus card.
3. Make a “raffle ticket” by tearing off the bottom of your Kroger receipts showing:
2015-2016 Kroger Community Rewards
You are contributing to
NORRIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA
4. Clearly write your first and last name, your grade and your teacher’s name on the “raffle ticket” in CAPITAL LETTERS.
5. Drop your “raffle ticket” in the raffle box in the school office.
Raffle tickets will be accepted from January 15, 2016 through February 29, 2016. The drawing will take place on March 1, 2016.
For the next 2 to 3 weeks we will be working on Decimal Operations, starting with Multiplying Decimals. We will briefly touch on adding and subtracting decimal numbers, as this is a skill they learned in 4th grade. We will be using base 10 blocks, area models, and pictures to represent the multiplication of decimals. This is not what we learned when we were in school, but it's important for student to understand WHAT and WHY they are doing something, rather than to just memorize rules and tricks.
Why is .2 x .5 = .1?? Students are used to getting BIGGER numbers when they multiply.. not smaller! Can you explain WHY the answer is .1?
Homework: Set 95
FISD Cluster 3 Parent Letter:
FISD Cluster 3 Guide to Digging Deeper:
Homework: Study Spelling Words
We will work on the water cycle. The students will be able to explain how the sun and the ocean interact in the water cycle. At the end of the week, we will start weather and climate.
The students will be able to describe the difference between weather and climate.
HOMEWORK: Unit 4 Vocabulary words and STEMscopes activity Week 1
This week in Reading we will demonstrating our reading knowledge by completing middle of the year reading assessments. If I have a concern with your child's reading progress, I will notify you.
HOMEWORK: Read "Jack's Solo" (passed out in class on Tuesday) and use your coding strategy to track your thinking as you read. Then, answer the questions on the back. Due Friday!
Words to Know
- Please let your child's teacher know if they will be going home with another student or going home another way (ex. carpool - walker)
- We do have pencils on hand for students when they don't have one, but they are dwindling away quickly! Please help remind your student to be prepared with supplies when they come to class.