School Newsletter — October 16th, 2019
Lost and Found—Please check for lost items during Fall Conferences
Label your child's personal items!
- You can help ensure your child gets items returned by writing his/her name with permanent marker on the tags.
- Remind your child to put mittens, hats, sweatshirts in his/her backpack when they take it off
As the year progresses, unclaimed and unlabeled items will be donated to the Beaverton Clothes Closet monthly.
Note from the Principal
This Friday, October 18th, is an opportunity for you to chat with me! Our principal's coffee takes place monthly prior to our all school assemblies—which you are also welcome to be a guest for as we reserve the bank of bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors for that purpose.
Hope to see you Friday, October 18th, at 8:35 am-9:15 in the Multipurpose Conference Room for the Principal's Coffee!
The all school assembly will take place at 9:30 am in the gym. This month we will focus on the PYP Learner Profile Attribute of being an Inquirer—November's focus. Additionally, the Hustle for Hazeldale winners will be announced.
Inquirers—We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life.
Working with you for kids,
Green Team News!
I wanted to share some exciting news from the green team. We have been working hard to get a grant for reusable silverware and finally received it! We will be starting to use it on Monday, October 14th and would really appreciate it if you could remind your child to place it in the black bin on the table next to the garbage can. We are trying to save the silverware from being thrown out. If you are available to volunteer during lunches please sign-up through this link: app.betterimpact.com
Thank you, Dan Nakoa
4th and 5th Grade Choir
Dear Hazeldale 4th and 5th grade families,
I’m excited to announce that Hazeldale Elementary School will have a 4th and 5th grade choir this year! The “Hazeldale Hawk Singers” is open to motivated 4th and 5th grade students interested in extra musical opportunities. The choir will rehearse in the Hazeldale music room on Day 3 of the specials rotation during lunch recess (5th 12:00-12:20 and 4th 12:20-12:40. Our first rehearsal is scheduled for Tuesday, October 1st (More dates listed on the attachment below).
Rehearsal and performance attendance is mandatory for the group to be successful. Please read the attached Hazeldale Hawk Singers conduct/policy information and year long dates. Should you and your child decide that choir expectations and appropriate rehearsal manners will be honored, please complete the attached registration form.
I am looking forward to an exciting and musically rewarding session! If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Kimberly Skondin, Director
Hazeldale Elementary School
Too Sick for School?
- Friday, October 18th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (our all school assembly is at 9:30 am and the section of bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors is reserved for guests)
Conferences Link to Sign Up (link is open October 2nd through 16th) - Today is last day!
- Wednesday, October 23rd—Conferences 4- 8 pm (regular school day for students)
- Thursday, October 24th—Conferences 12 - 8 pm (no school for students)
- Friday, October 25th—No school for staff or students (compensation day for two 12 hour conference days)
- Friday, November 1st—No school for students (Grading Day)
- Sunday, November 3rd—Daylight Savings Ends (Fall Back)
- Monday, November 4th—Art Literacy Training 10-11 am
- Thursday, November 7th—PTO Dining for Dollars at Papa's Pizza (you'll need to bring a flyer - coming soon!)
- Friday, November 8th—Vision Screening
- Friday, November 8th—PTO Popcorn Friday—This year PTO is making sure all students receive a bag of popcorn!
- Monday, November 11th—No School—Veterans' Day
- Friday, November 15th—Picture Retake Day
- Friday, November 15th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (our all school assembly is at 9:30 am and the section of bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors is reserved for guests)
- Monday, November 18th—PTO Meeting 6:30 pm in Multipurpose Conference Room
- Thursday, November 21st—All Staff Facilitated FAMILY GAME NIGHT! 5:30-7 pm
- Wednesday through Friday, November 27th - 29th—No School (Thanksgiving Week)
- Monday, December 2nd—No School for Students—Staff Development Day
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
Hazeldale’s Mission and Vision
Hazeldale Elementary School works to support and inspire every child to think, to learn, to care, and to engage with power and agency in a changing world.
We provide a learning environment and instruction that promotes engagement, academic excellence, self-confidence, independence, risk and resilience. We foster respect, an appreciation of self and others, and collaboration through inquiry, exploration, goal setting, and service.
Hazeldale Elementary School
The District prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, an individual's actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status, veteran status, or because of a perceived or actual association with any other persons within these protected classes.