Back To School Edition - 2022
Edgemont Junior High
Back To School Edition - 2022
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
24-26 - Athletic Clearance - 10am -2pm
29 - 1st Day of Football (Grades 7 and 8)
29 - WING Team Orientation - 3:30pm
30 - New Student Orientation - 2:00 pm
6 - First Day of Cross Country and Volleyball (Grades 7 and 8)
7 - First Day of School
8 - Back to School Night - 5-7pm
12 - Monday Late Start
14 - Early Release - Fair Day/Picture Day
19 - Monday Late Start
20 - Volleyball @ KJH
22 - Volleyball vs GVJH
22 - Cross Country vs KJH
26 - Monday Late Start
26 - Volleyball @FJH
28 - Volleyball vs AJH
28 - Football vs KJH
29 - Cross Country @ AJH
3 - Monday Late Start
4 - Volleyball @ BJH
4 - Cross Country @ SJH
5 - Football @ BJH
6 - Cross Country vs GVJH
10 - Monday Late Start
10 - Volleyball vs SJH
12 - Volleyball vs Kalles
12 - Football vs AJH
13 - Cross Country vs BJH
17 - Monday Late Start
17 - Volleyball @ GVJH
18 - Volleyball vs FJH
18 - Football @ FJH
19/20 - Early Release - Conferences
20 - Cross Country @ FJH
21 - No School - School Improvement Day
24 - Monday Late Start
25 - Volleyball @ AJH
26 - Football vs SJH
26 - Concert - 7pm
27 - Cross Country @ AJH
31 - Monday Late Start
Welcome to Edgemont and the 2022-23 School Year!
We would like to welcome all students and their families to Edgemont Junior High School for the 2022-23 school year. The intent of this newsletter is to provide the basic information needed to help everyone get ready for September 7th.
Please be on the lookout in mid-August for our summer informational packet that will contain many of the documents you will need for the first day of school. If you do not receive this packet, please see the attachment below.
Families can find student schedules by visiting the Home Access Center (HAC) at this link. Schedules will be available starting August 26th.
Back to School Night
Our Back to School Night will be held on Thursday, September 8th from 5-7 pm. The format will be "block party" style with teachers in designated locations in our bus parking lot (weather permitting). The intent of the evening will be for parents and staff to meet and greet to start the year. More information will be coming as the date approaches.
Congratulations to House Rimor for capturing the House Cup for the 2021-22 school year! They will get to waive their flag on our flag pole for the entire school year as the champion. Additionally, their name will be engraved on our new House Cup that will be displayed in our front entryway.
As we start in September, each house gets a clean slate as the competition begins again. One of our first opportunities to earn points will be on Friday, September 9th. On that day, we are asking students to wear their house shirts. Students that misplaced or outgrew their shirts over the summer can still support the cause by wearing house colors.
Let the games begin!
Over the next few weeks, the Puyallup School District will be transitioning to ParentSquare as the primary means of communicating information. This will include school and district newsletters, emergency messages, and quick reminders about upcoming events. Please be on the lookout for this transition so you can be sure to receive all important messages regarding the schools.
School Meal Update for Fall 2022
The current USDA waiver that has allowed school districts to provide free breakfast and lunch to all students expires at the end of this school year. This means that for the 2022-2023 school year we will be transitioning back to regular meal prices at most schools*, with free or reduced-priced meals for families that qualify.
We realize that will be a shift for families and want to be sure you are aware now. Students with an approved free or reduced-priced meal application on file will continue to be covered under that application through October 20, 2022. Free or reduced-priced meal applications for the 22-23 school year will be available in Mid-August.
In the meantime, here are our meal costs for this new year:
- Secondary Lunch Price = $4.10
- Secondary Breakfast Price = $2.85
Families can check and add money to meal accounts through EZSchoolPay.
Benefits of Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
Traditionally, we tend to see a decline in free/reduced lunch applications at the secondary level in comparison with our elementary school neighbors. Many students dislike the stigma that comes from qualifying for this benefit.
As you decide whether to apply, please consider the following:
- Meal status is private and not shared with other students
- Students on free/reduced status qualify for other cost reductions beyond meals such as:
- Computer protection plan
- Athletic fees
- ASB card fees
- AP testing fees
Please see the link above to access free/reduced application for the 2022-23 school year.
Change to Bus Notifications
Bus Bulletins, the current bus notification system, will change to the Traversa Ride 360 notification system at the beginning of the upcoming school year. In an effort to lower transportation costs and improve family communications, the PSD Transportation Department is excited to partner with Traversa to focus on improved efficiencies.
The new bus notification system offers a website and mobile phone app that allows families to look up bus route information and receive real-time alerts and notifications. Families wanting to receive information related to their child's bus will need to download the app or visit the website to sign up to receive notifications. Sign up today to make sure you are informed of bus delays or incidents that would impact student pick-up or drop-off. Note: Our Transportation Department works hard throughout the summer finalizing bus route information. Although families are encouraged to download the Ride 360 app and visit the Ride 360 website to become familiar with the new notification system, final bus route information will not be available until late August.
Please visit this link for additional information.
New Online Payment Portal
The Puyallup School District has transitioned to a new online payment portal for the 2022-23 school year. This portal is call InTouch.
Please visit this link to set up your user access information.
Note that lunch payment will be through EZSchoolPay. See the post above for the link.
Student Health Information
Things to do during the summer:
- If your student has a Medical 504 plan paperwork was sent home and Dr. orders should be obtained to follow 504 plan.
- Should your student need/require medication at school next year (i.e. Inhalers, motrin, daily medications) obtain new doctor orders for 2022-23 school year and return to health room beginning 8/25/2022. Medication that is dropped off MUST be in original package and for prescription medications the pharmacy label must match doctor orders.
- 6th grade students MUST have their TDAP shot before entering 7th grade. Letters were sent home to students in February as a reminder. Any other missing immunizations should be obtained over summer break as well.
Junior High Athletic Information for 2022-23 (7th and 8th Grade)
All 7th and 8th grade students will need to be aware of the following items if they plan to participate in our athletic programs in the fall:
In order to participate in junior high sports, the following requirements must be met:
1. Complete the two digital forms found at https://puyallupschools.rankonesport.com
- Athletic Eligibility Form
- Parent Permission and Consent Form - including: Cautions, Considerations and Responsibilities of participation, Medical Insurance, Athletic Code, PSD Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Information Sheet, Steroid Awareness Information Sheet
2. Submit a current physical examination form to the school athletic director. Most physicals are good for two years. The physical must be valid for the entire sport season. Some medical providers may have their own form.
3. Submit a current baseline concussion testing form through Olympic Sport and Spine or your family physician if participating in basketball, football, soccer, volleyball or wrestling. Screening information and scheduling can be found here.
4. If a student has a life-threatening health condition or needs access to emergency medications, then an Emergency Action Plan, signed by a physician, must also be submitted. The school nurse works with the athletic directors on EAP's.
5. Pay the Athletic Fee (JH $40 per season) and purchase a school ASB Card ($30). These fees can be paid in person with the school bookkeeper prior to athletic clearance, or online (a convenience fee is charged). In either payment situation, bring your receipts with you to the athletic director during clearance. Please know that many of these fees can be waived if the student qualifies for free/reduced lunch status.
6. Meet the minimum academic requirements during the previous semester. Student must have passed a minimum 5 of their 6 classes and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students not meeting these requirements will start the season on academic probation.
7. Mr. Dyer will clear students on August 24, 25, and 26 from 10am-2pm at EJH.
8. Fall start dates:
- Football - August 29
- Cross Country - September 6
- Volleyball - September 6
More information can be found on the PSD Athletics Website or by contacting our athletic director, Mr. Dyer.
High School Athletic Information for 2022-23 (9th Grade)
All 9th Grade students who are planning on participating in high school athletics should review the following websites:
You can also contact the PHS athletic director, Mr. Susee, for more information.
EDGEMONT NEWSLETTER LINK
EDGEMONT CONTACT INFO
Location: Edgemont Junior High School, 110th Avenue East, Edgewood, WA, USA
Phone: (253) 841-8727
Puyallup School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator: Eric Hogan, email@example.com, (253) 435-6295; 504/ADA Coordinator: Eric Hogan, firstname.lastname@example.org, (253) 435-6295; Title IX Coordinator Staff: Amie Brandmire, email@example.com (253) 841-8666; Title IX Coordinator Students: Eric Hogan, firstname.lastname@example.org, (253) 435-6295.