Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203: Week of March 14
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are continuing folktales. We are focusing on more Cinderella stories around the world, in addition to learning about the different cultures. Don't forget to view the map below to see where we'll be traveling this week. MyON has a wonderful selection of fables your child can read at home. Simply search "fables" and you'll see the collection of 14 books. Email me if your child hasn't memorized their MyON login.
- Writing- We are writing fables and fairy tales using the features we've learned in Reading/Daily 5.
- Math- We are creating rectangular arrays by partitioning rectangles into rows and columns.
- FUNdations- We are starting Unit 12 which focuses on the vowel teams oi (coin) and oy (boy). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- We are learning about sound via Dr. Bob Moog's Sound School.
- Social Studies- We are learning about how different cultures influence communities.
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
TOMORROW, Tue., Mar. 15th - Chicken Dinner & Math Carnival. Please RSVP via paper or S'more down below if you have not done so already.
Fri., Mar. 18th - 6 pm Light the NIght Auction at THE YMI CULTURAL CENTER- DOWNTOWN AVL
Sat., Mar. 19th: Spring Grounds Work Day: Parents are welcome to volunteer to help
Thurs., Mar. 24th: Family Voices/Community Outreach - Grant Center, 5:30-7:00pm
Mon., Mar. 28th - Fri., Apr. 1: Spring Break
Bringing the World into our classroom with Cinderella Around the World
Snapshots of Learning from last week ✏️
Exploring countries during Cinderella around the World
Fun with rectangular arrays during math
listening to mr. godleski's awesome band
finding the 7 habits in fables
A Note from PTO about Spanish Integration
Spanish Integration has arrived at Claxton!
This week's phrase-of-the-week was "buenos dias" (good morning). The Spanish Integration blog will feature pronunciation and videos each week for the phrase of the week - check it out here: http://claxtonspanish.blogspot.com/ We hope your Claxton student greeted you in the morning with a hearty "Buenos dias!" by week's end!
Every Thursday, it's Español el Jueves, or Spanish on Thursday at Claxton! Students will be taking brain breaks in Spanish today, and everyone who chooses the "listen to reading" option during Daily 5 gets to listen to a Spanish or bilingual book.
It's easy to listen to Spanish or bilingual books on MyOn, the electronic library to which all Claxton students have access. And it's a great way for young brains to soak up the Spanish language. Your child can do this any time at home!Check out the Spanish Integration blog for a screen shot to show you how.
Wish List 🌟
- Snack (healthy options please) Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
- Pre-sharpened pencils
Positive Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.