BAMS Staff Newsletter
January 4, 2014 - Volume 2, Issue 15
It's a Great Day to Be Great!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2015, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing sample rubric score from the September 2014 writing benchmark based on the school developed writing rubric (adapted from the Smarter Balanced writing rubric).
DPI School of Recognition
PBIS School of Merit
Routinely Take Literacy Risks
Be a CEO
Driving Question for 2014-2015:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare our students for the Badger Exam assessment (and other higher level thinking opportunities)?
Goals for SSR and SSW
- Provide a time for every student in our building to read and write.
- Ensure this time is a positive part of our students' day.
News and Notes
- Paperless Mid-quarter Reports Cards - We had one family that requested a paper copy of their child's mid-quarter report card by mailed to them. Remember that at any time during the school year we can mail home a copy of a child's current grades.
- Thank you for looking out for students in the morning with our outside doors being locked. If you see students waiting to enter the building, you can happily let them in or know that the office will buzz them into the building - not a big deal. :)
- I want to again thank Kathy Aeby for being a part of our BAMS Family while Sarah McDowell was recovering at home. Kathy had some very nice things to say about our students and about our staff. I never worry about us representing ourselves positively - Great work! Kathy may be back in the building for future subbing opportunities this year.
- Joan will be out longer than expected. Currently, January 14th will be the date of her return. Please be thinking about her and even send her a kind message if you get a chance this week. Janice is able to be in the office for these extra days. I'll update you if anything changes.
Out of the Office
- January 5th - 1:45-2:35pm - Honor's Study Hall
- January 6th - 9-11am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- January 8th - 8:30-9:30am - District ELL Meeting
- January 12th - 1:45-2:35pm - Honor's Study Hall
- January 13th - 9-11am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- January 15th - 8:30-9:30am - BAMS BCT - Team Room
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
- Thank you again for taking a risk to try something new with our last 2 days before break. I felt really good about our Day of Service and our Day of Celebration. The Oriole Way Team will be meeting this week to debrief and look for ways to improve. Thank you for trusting them to make decisions about our PBIS framework.
- NEXT Meeting - January 7th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
*I reviewed everyone's documentation log up to this point. Most of us are still in the thinking stage of this process - no big deal. :) Just remember that your log is due by May 15th. You can have 1-3 artifacts for each standard. Let me know if you have any questions.
*This is the first year we have a Professional Practice Goal or PPG. As you reflect on your goal, keep in mind that you'll have to provide evidence of your accomplishments. Examples of this could be dates/meeting notes from collaborations with colleagues, certificates from trainings, or copies of article read. As an evaluator, this is my first year with this component, too. We will be having more discussions about this as an admin team moving forward.
- Continuing Educators 2nd Student Surveys - Due by February 15th
- 2 Classroom Visits - Due by End of the Year
Click Here for a link to Teacher Effectiveness Info from CESA 6
Click Here for a Teacher Effectiveness Calendar for EDUCATORS/SPECIALISTS
Dates to Remember
- January 6th - BAMS PTO Meeting, 3:30pm
- January 9th - Early Release
- January 16th - 7th Grade Ski Trip
- January 20th - BAMS Spelling Bee
- January 29th - Oriole Leaders Meeting, 10:40-11:40am
*See Google Doc titled "2014-2015 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Staff Meeting Agenda
Staff Meeting: January 9 - 12:45-1:30pm - HS PAC
6-12 Safety Training in PAC
Next Meeting: January 21st - 2:50-3:30pm - DMR
Highlights from December 22nd School Board Meeting
- Tom and Sherry Behnke were recognized for their efforts with support, fundraising, and giving towards our district and our athletic department.
- The 2015-2016 school calendar was shared with the school board and they voted to approve the calendar.
- The board, administration, and community members in attendance toured the Food 4 Thought Cafe.
- Next meeting: January 26th, 7pm
Blackboard Connect Messages
Messages sent this week:
- Day of Service/Day of Celebration Announcement (sent on December 22nd)
*New messaging system (ParentLink) tentatively coming in December.