Eugene Field Elementary School
December 13, 2015
Dear Field Families,
Our Winter Mosaic Assembly will be held at First Church of the Nazarene (PazNaz), next door to the school, on December 18 at 9:00 am. Our instrumental music classes will perform first. We will be recording the assembly and parents will have the opportunity to purchase a recording through our PTA.
Donations from our Annual Fund have provided each teacher with the opportunity to spend $400 on classroom materials. Here are some of the items our teachers have purchased through your generous donations:
- caddies for supplies
- instructional games
- specialty art supplies
- visual timer
- whiteboard magnets
- classroom posters
- pocket charts
Please remember that we will have early dismissal, 12:50 pm, on Friday, Dec. 18. Our Winter Break will run from Dec. 21 to Jan. 1.
We will be open for parking for the Rose Parade Float Viewing on January 1 - 3, 2016. This is our annual 5th grade fundraising event and so if you are planning to check out the floats, please consider parking with us!
Our LEARNS Student Leadership Team is currently collecting unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots. If you can donate a toy, please place it in the collection box in the office. The US Marines are planning to pick up our donations next Tuesday.
Have a good week!
Upcoming School Events
Tuesday, Dec. 15, 9:00-10:00: GATE PAC (Location: Library)
Thursday, Dec. 17, 8:45: Morning Assembly on the playground
Friday, Dec. 18, 9:00: Winter Assembly (No morning assembly on the playground)
Friday, Dec. 18, 12:50 - Early Dismissal
Friday, Jan. 1 - 3 - Parking fundraiser at Field ES
Monday, Jan. 4 - School resumes
Thursday, Jan. 7, 8:00 - 9:00: Chat & Snack-Focus: Site Safety Plan and Technology Integration
Update from Site Safety Committee
- In January, all classes will have begun learning the Second Step Program. The first unit focuses on Skills for Learning: listening, paying attention, and following directions. In February we will focus on Empathy: understanding how people are feeling and that people can have different feelings about the same situation.
- Please remind children that they must meet their teacher on the playground in the mornings and should not wait in the hallways where there is no supervision.
- Adults have been keeping the hallways clear during dismissal time which has helped teachers keep track of students as they walk to the front lawn. (Thank you parents!)
- School Safety Plan will be presented to School Site Council on January 12 for their approval. To view the plan, please see the binder located in the office or come to the Chat & Snack on January 7.
- Next meeting is Wednesday, Jan. 27, 3:30 - 4:30
Special Events from our PTA
Field Team at the L.A. Chinatown Firecracker Run
Sunday, Feb. 21st 2016 at 7am
943 North Broadway
Los Angeles, CA
Update on Dual Language Program
- Our teachers who provide Mandarin instruction have been preparing our kids for a special event after winter break. Starting on January 5, the teachers will be expecting our Dual Language students to speak in Mandarin during the entire class time. This means using their Mandarin skills when they are asking a friend for a pencil or when they are working with a group on a project. Our teachers will spend time this week reviewing with their students what to do if they don't know how to say something in Mandarin. Special thanks to the parent volunteers who helped make the classroom displays that track the students' progress of how long they can speak only Mandarin.
- Dr. Miriam Met has rescheduled her visit for February 2016 (Exact date is being confirmed.)We will have a parent information night and I would like to hear of any questions or topics you would like addressed. Please share your thoughts here.
- Next Dual Language PAC meeting is Tuesday, Jan. 26, 9:00-10:00am
Chat & Snack with the Principal; Topic: Site Safety Plan and Technology Integration - Jan. 7, 8:00 - 9:00AM
What is GAFE? What does it mean to be a GAFE school? Haiku is more than a form of poetry? Please come to our Chat & Snack on January 7 to learn more.