Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 5/3/2019
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
One Purpose - Student Success
Next Week, May 6 - 10, is Teacher Appreciation Week. We look forward to celebrating our certificated staff with a BBQ lunch on Wednesday starting at 10:30 a.m. in the staff parking lot.
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Capital Project Update
Powerful Teaching and Learning
- The building teacher professional development day at the start of school will be on Thursday, August 22nd.
- All staff day is on Monday, August 26th.
- Junior student, Derrek Hollister, has been accepted into a summer program at a prestigious college (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh) and has won a scholarship that pays for the entire program. Congratulations to Derrek and to Mrs. McCormick for making this happen. This opportunity was available via our TEALS (Technology Education and Literacy in Schools) computer science class.
- On Wednesday, the NCESD Crisis Management CoOp conducted an “interactive” tabletop emergency drill in-conjunction with the Tonasket, Omak, Oroville, Okanogan School District Superintendents, and the Okanogan County Department of Emergency Management. This drill facilitated emergency “cooperative and collaborate response” efforts of school districts and local First-Responders.
- The Rural Alliance meeting on Monday focused on school law surrounding human resources and principal leadership development in rural schools.
- OK Corral meeting on Thursday focused on the new state budget and changes in education law. There is a lot we still do not know about the impact of the budget but I should have more answers by next week's school board meeting.
- The Tonasket School District has three School Board positions up for the General Election on November 5, 2019. If interested, persons must file a Declaration of Candidacy form during the week of May 13 through May 17, 2019. The following districts will be on the ballot:
- Board of Director, District No. 2 (4-year, regular term)
- Board of Director, District No. 3 (4-year, regular term)
- Board of Director, District No. 5 (4-year, regular term)
- Click the link below for more detailed school board election information on our website:
Parent and Community Engagement
Creative and Innovative
We now have air quality sensors that can be accessed via a website called Purpleair. We have added these sensors so that we have a better idea of air quality during times of high smoke in the area. Previously the closest sensors were in Omak and Oroville. We have both outside and inside sensors.
TEA and PSE Updates
- We had a group attend the National Migrant Conference in New Orleans. Feedback is that their presentation was extremely well received. So proud of our team!
- HS boys soccer team finished 2nd in the league and will start district play tonight, good luck!