Missouri Music Notes
~MFMC President Julie
National Music Week
MFMC State Convention - May 17-18, 2019
You will want to be sure to register ahead as we'll need to send you a parking pass.
We have had to release our block of rooms at Auburn Place for $79/night. You may still be able to get a room - based on availability. I have heard Friday is almost full. Please call 573-651-4486 and ask for the MFMC Group rate. Rates include breakfast.
Hope to see you there!
Bylaws revisions and Code of Ethics up for vote at convention
Bylaw and Standing Rules Revisions
Words in "//" are additions or corrections. "--" denotes deletion.
Article III, Section 7, B. Forfeiture. If dues are not received by /November 1/ --January 1--, a member shall be considered delinquent and shall be so notified. Any member whose dues are in arrears for more than a year shall be considered to have forfeited membership and shall be dropped from the rolls.
Article XII, Section 2. All dues are payable on or before the first of /November/ --December--, and clubs will be considered delinquent thereafter.
A. SENIOR DIVISION.
1. Active Membership Dues.
a) Organization Members. Senior Clubs and organizations federated as active members shall pay annual dues of /$9.00/--$6.00-- per capita, on all classes of membership, minimum $/90.00/--60.00--.
B. STUDENT/COLLEGIATE DIVISION.
1. Active Membership Dues.
a) Organization members. Student/Collegiate Organizations actively federated /with 80 members or less/ shall pay annual dues at the rate of$/1.25/--1.00-- per capita on all classes of members, with a minimum of $/25.00/--20.00 plus Music Clubs Magazine subscription--.
C. JUNIOR DIVISION,
1. Active Membership Dues.
a) Organization Members. Junior Organizations actively federated shall pay annual dues at the rate of $/1.40/--1.00-- per capita on all classes of membership with a minimum of $/28.00/--20.00--. This shall include a one year subscription to Junior Keynotes for the counselor. Additional teachers in the same organization must also subscribe to Junior Keynotes /for $6 each./
2. Associate Membership Dues. Associate Junior Organizations shall pay dues of $20.00. /High Schools with over 80 Members shall pay annual dues of $100.00./
1. Music Service in the Community: Choral Music; Sacred Music; /Together We Sing/--Hymn of the Month--; Crusade for Strings; Chamber Music; Orchestras; Music Outreach; National Music Week; Most Musical Family; Citations.
7. Junior Festivals.
a) The State fee for Festivals is /$1.00/--sixty cents ($.60)-- per individual entry in addition to the NFMC fee as shown on the NFMC form, /with forty cents ($.40) to be used for Junior Awards./
8. Awards & Competitions
d) For support of IPFAC State Award Program, clubs use as a guideline /a/--as-- minimum contribution of /$1.00/--fifty ($.50)-- per member.
Add c) and renumber: Each club will be assessed $45.00 per Senior Club for State Convention and Fall Board to send Delegate, whether or not they attend.
Code of Ethics
It is the desire of the Missouri Federation of Music clubs to uphold the honor and dignity of the music profession by working with musicians and music educators in the State of Missouri to:
1. Recognize, support and promote American music and American artists.
2. Encourage music education and raise the standard of teaching.
3. Promote a better appreciation of the music profession by the public.
We, the members of the Missouri Federation of Music Clubs, hereby adopt this Code of Ethics.
1. Members shall at all times conduct themselves in a fashion which will reflect credit upon the MFMC, maintaining the highest standard of professional conduct and personal integrity.
2. Members shall respect the reputation of colleagues and shall refrain from making false or malicious statements about colleagues. Members shall be generous in their behavior towards their colleagues, taking care to give credit where credit is due in all matters pertaining to the profession.
3. Members shall abide by the spirit as well as the letter of all rules and regulations of events sponsored by the MFMC. In particular, they shall be vigilant in guarding against conflicts of interests in competitive events.
4. Members shall be truthful in all promotion and advertising. The terms of their arrangements with performing musicians shall be made clearly in advance. The terms of their arrangements with students shall be communicated clearly in advance.
5. Members shall respect a student’s right to obtain instruction from the teacher of his or her choice.
Slate of officers
State President: Connie Craig
1st V President: Annette Mayhew
2nd V President: Marschnee Strong
Treasurer: Duane Langley
Recording Secretary: Marlana Strasburg
Corresponding Secretary: Patti Grimmett
Chaplain: Judy Shaw
Parliamentarian: Donna Kinslow
Missouri winners of the regional Junior Composers contest
Keith Bass for "The Moonlight Waltz", student of Judy Wingate
Class III: (ages 13-15)
Brandon Kim for "Diabolical Dances", student of Ayako Tsuruta
Class IV: (ages 16-18)
Olivia Bennett for "Imagination", student of Carlyle Sharpe
Madeline Stoces for "The Queen's Tale", student of Jennifer Harkey
Congratulations! Good luck at Nationals!
Upcoming Award Deadlines
May 1st$2,250 NFMC Lucile Parrish Ward Veterans Award
$2,000 The Anne Gannett Award for Veterans
$1,750 NFMC Dr. Ouida Keck Professional Development Award
$1,000 NFMC U.S. Armed Forces American Music Award
$1,000 Lana M. Bailey Piano Concerto Award
$400 NFMC Dance Award (Jazz, Lyrical or Tap)
$300 NFMC American Music Club Award
$250 American Music NFMC Junior Club Award
$100 American Women Composer Club Awards
$100 NFMC Just JAZZ! Club Awards
May 1stChapter Past President's Assembly to Anita Blackmon
Radio/Television/Newspaper/Internet Report to Marlana Strasburg
NFMC American Music Reports go to Region chair, Carla Johnson. NFMC American Music Contest Entries go to Deborah Freeman
Junior Club Rating Report to national chair, Gilda Hendricks
National Music Week to Dianne Lemaire
Senior Club Rating Report to Annette Mayhew
NFMC Biennial Convention June 18-22
You are cordially invited to attend the 2019 NFMC Biennial Convention on June 18-22 at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. There will be amazing concerts, enlightening workshops and opportunities to learn more about the many facets of the Federation.
The more the merrier – so bring a friend! Registration details are available on the national website (www.nfmc.org) as well as in the latest Music Clubs Magazine. We hope to see you there!
Federation Days at Opera in the Ozarks July 17-20
Federation Days are a great opportunity for a summer vacation in Eureka Springs. This season at Opera in the Ozarks will feature Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio, Puccini's La Boheme, and Mark Adamo's Little Women.
If you have ever attended, you will know it is three days of amazing musical talent with just a little bit of meetings. The auditorium is now air conditioned, so come and experience the talent your money is supporting!