The Wellwood Globe
Wellwood International November 2020
From the Principal's Desk
Happy Fall Greetings!
In just a few days, we will be celebrating American Education Week. I hope that you will find some time to join us so that you are able to observe the learning taking place by our students. Be sure and look at the graphic below to view Wellwood's American Education Week schedule. Below the graphic is a similar document. This PDF offers access to additional information and links.
Be sure to note that report cards will be distributed in Schoology on November 30th. Parents will need a BCPS One account to view report cards. If you need help or support to create a BCPS One account, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The directions for creating a BCPS One account is below. If you would like a copy of the report card send home, please email Mrs. Henn at email@example.com.
I also wanted to share that Baltimore County Public Schools is also offering several parent workshops and sessions over the next couple weeks. The sessions range from Internet safety, special education support, and dealing with grief. Please see below to access the schedule.
If you have not joined our PTA yet, please consider joining by completing the application below. You can also access more information on Wellwood's website under the PTA tab.
Stay well and take care!
Mrs. O’Neill, Principal
Important Dates to Remember
- November 16- 20 American Education Week (See information below for specific details.)
- November 13th End of the Marking Period
- November 26th and 27th - Thanksgiving Holiday- Schools and Office Closed
- November 30th Reports Cards Can Be Accessed in Schoology
- December 2nd Conference Day for Elementary Students
American Education Week
Parents, Guardians, and Families.
We want to thank you for your continued support as well as showcase all the wonderful learning that your students are continuing to show.
Please join us during our virtual “American Education Week”.
Monday, November 16th - Kindergarten and 1st grade classes
Tuesday, November 17th - 2nd grade classes
Wednesday, November 18th – Nurse Q&A Day
Thursday, November 19th – 3rd grade classes
Friday, November 20th – 4th and 5th grade classes
During a typical school year, BCPS distributes calendars to all families. Due to buildings being closed, BCPS is sharing a link. If you would like a copy of the calendar, pleas let me know. I will print the calendar and mail it to you.
Special Education Corner
Happy November from the Special Education Resource Center (SERC)! SERC has a new phone number 443-809-5443. Ellen and Felicia are very helpful and knowledgable and nice.
1) SERC has a fabulous FREE parent training coming up! Details can be found below, register today.
HELP MY CHILD IS ANXIOUS! UNDERSTANDING ANXIETY AND HOW TO HELP YOUR ANXIOUS CHILD
An overview of anxiety disorders and how they develop will be discussed. Additionally, the speaker will address common difficulties seen in anxious children; current treatment options for anxiety; and what parents can do to help their anxious child. Presented by Tana Hope, Ph.D. The Child and Family Therapy Clinic Department of Behavioral Psychology at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:00 AM- 12:30 PM
Participants must register via Eventbrite.
2) Have you ever wondered how to access all of SERC's online resources? Take a few minutes to watch this video and tour the SERC website.
3) Thanks to Parent University Schoology support is just a few clicks away! Once you are on the Parent Schoology Support page scroll down and click Featured Tips Archive for tons of tips and resources.
4) Here is the link to the Fall Hand In Hand Newsletter https://www.smore.com/r6qxg. Take note of note the SECAC meeting schedule. Superintendent Dr. Williams will be joining our meeting on December 7th at 7pm. Access the meeting through google meet: https://meet.google.com/fak-czgt-dvf if you would like to participate by phone please email firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Tips for Distance Learning: Are you having trouble getting your child to attend their virtual classes? Is it a struggle to get them to follow through and complete their homework assignments? Distance learning is tough for kids, sometimes we need to give them a little extra encouragement. This guide from The University of Texas at Austin/The Meadows Center for Preventing Educational Risk will help you to design and implement a positive behavior reinforcement plan that will help motivate your child to complete their school work.
Aviva Goldman, Special Education Parent Liaison to the PTA
call or text: 718-877-2758
BCPS Calming Rooms
During overwhelming times in our life, it's important to find ways to relax and cope. The BCPS virtual calming room is a space that has been designed for students, families, and staff to identify and implement tools and strategies for navigating emotions and feelings.
The BCPS virtual calming room is broken down into seven categories: Animals, Books and Games, Creative, Mindfulness and Movement, Resources, Sensory, and Virtual Tours.
The BCPS virtual calming room is a result of collaborative efforts by the Mind Over Matters Campaign workgroup, Mental Health Services, Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), and the Office of Psychological Services.
You can access the Calming Room by clicking on this link.
Wellwood International strives to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring students in an engaging, rigorous and multi-cultural environment to instill inter-cultural understanding and respect.
Empowering inquiring minds to change the world.
Principal Mrs. Jodi O'Neill
Assistant Principal Mr. Paradis
Other Important Numbers:
School FAX: 410-887-1213