Irmo Elementary Family Updates
#HeartoftheHive September 11-15
Important Update From Your Principal
Dear IES Families,
Good evening! Tomorrow, I encourage each of our bees and staff to wear red, white, and blue in remembrance of September 11, 2001. We will never forget.
A few important reminders on our calendar for the remainder of the week include IES' Curriculum Night on Thursday. Please see the details below. All those who would like to be listed on the ballot for our four open seats for IES' School Improvement Council will need to submit their short blurb and picture by Tuesday, 9/12. We have four open seats for this upcoming school year as those who have served a two year term transition off. We would love to have you as an active member of this advisory group (details below). Thank you!
SIC Nominations: We Need YOU in the Hive (Accepting Candidates for Open Seats Until 9/12
Irmo Elementary is now accepting nominations for the School Improvement Council (SIC). The IES School Improvement Council (SIC) is an advisory council to the principal that is focused on school improvement issues. It is made up of representatives of parents, teachers, and community members. The SIC meets monthly during the school year to discuss areas of school improvement and support at IES. We are selecting four parent representatives for the 2023-2024 school year to serve a two year term.
- Would you like to serve in the heart of the hive? Please submit a "get to know you blurb" and photo of yourself or photo of you with your IES student/s to Emily Cates at firstname.lastname@example.org. This blurb and picture submitted will be used in the voting process.
- Potential candidates will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Tuesday, September 12th.
- Parents will have the opportunity to cast their vote electronically from the names submitted by 9/12 at 11:59pm. Virtual voting will be held from September 18th-September 20th.
23-24 Curriculum Night Details
On September 14th, we will host our K-2nd grade event at IES from 5:00 pm-6:00 pm. The doors to IES will open at 4:45 pm. If you have multiple children in grades K-2, you will choose one class to attend. This is a full hour session and will begin promptly at 5:00 pm.
There will be a short transition period for K-2nd grade families to exit the building and for 3rd-5th grade families to park and enter the building between 6:00 and 6:15 pm.
We will host our 3rd-5th grade event from 6:15-7:15. This is a full hour session and will promptly begin at 6:15 pm. Families can enter the classroom at 6:00 pm. If you have multiple children in grades 3-5, you will choose one class to attend.
It is highly encouraged that parents attend this event without their students if possible because of the depth of information you will be receiving.
- This will be a night in which you receive a specific curriculum overview for your child's grade level, learn about the structure of their day and details for your child's schedule, upcoming field trips and important dates etc. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about the items listed above.
Questions to Consider When Your Child is Sick:
1. Does your child’s illness keep him/her from comfortably
taking part in learning and activities while at school?
2. Does your sick child need more care than the staff can give
without affecting the health and safety of other children?
3. Could other children get sick from being near your child?
If the answer to any of these questions is “Yes,” please keep your
child out of school.
IF YOUR CHILD TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19
Contact your child's school nurse for an accurate return to school date.
Provide a copy of positive COVID test or attestation form to the school nurse.
According to SCDHEC, exclusion is for 5 days from the onset of symptoms. Students that are positive can return on day 6 if they have been fever free for 24 hours and are seeing an overall improvement in symptoms.
A mask is not required to be worn upon return.
Contact your school nurse with any questions.
Important Upcoming Dates
9/11 Students and staff encouraged to wear red, white and blue for Patriot Day
9/12 SC Career Kids Club-Session 1 Begins (for students previously signed up)
9/13 Fall Pictures
9/14 Curriculum Night K-2nd grade 5:00-6:00 3rd-5th grade 6:15-7:15 (see details in principal letter above)
9/15 Friday Spirit Wear Day (Wear your Irmo spirit wear and/or black and yellow)