January 11-15, 2021
We are very excited to have our students back in the building on Monday January 11th! Doors open at 8:20. Please do not come early.
January Re-entry Reminders
1) Extra masks- please be sure to have extra masks (minimum of 2 per day)
2) Students enter through their doors AFTER 8:20 (please DO NOT show up early)
- Grade 7- near bike racks
- Grade 8 and program students- main front doors
- Grade 9- by the art room
3) Hand sanitizer is to be used each time students enter and exit the building and classrooms.
4) When entering the school students go directly to their classrooms
5) Masks are always mandatory
- During designated eating/drinking times
- When directed to remove your mask by a staff member (e.g. Phys Ed)
6) Cohort Rooms
- Are for the students of a cohort ONLY, other students are not permitted in the room
- Food may only be consumed in cohort rooms and in their assigned desks
- Students must be facing forward when eating
- Electronics are permitted during lunchtime
- Students must put their masks back on when done eating and when getting up to throw out the garbage
8) Bring a water bottle as fountains are out of operation
9) Students are to use only their assigned washrooms
Up Coming Dates and Events
January 11- All student back in the building
January 26- Virtual IB Open House (more info to come from Salisbury Composite High)
January 27- Virtual School Council 6pm
January 28- Virtual AP Open House (more info to come from Bev Facey Composite High)
February 10- Bev Facey Virtual Open House 6pm (more info to come)
February 11- Salisbury Virtual Open House (more info to come)
February 15- School and Transportation fees due
School Council Updates and Information
Our next School Council meeting will be on January 27, 2021, at 6pm virtually.
Everyone is invited to these meetings, and coming to one meeting does not mean you need to attend all meetings. We want your feedback and would love to hear from you!
At the January meeting, we will be voting in a new chair. If you are interested in this position or have questions please contact Jessica Smith for more information (780-467-3800). During this meeting, we will also be starting a conversation around school fees.
Learning & being curious together at FRH
Mental Health Check In
The Strathcona County Boys and Girls Club—through the Canteen Youth Hub—is introducing a new program aimed at offering virtual mental health check-ins with students in grades 7 to 12. The program would typically run during the lunch break for any schools interested in participating. The primary goal is to provide youth with a (virtual) safe place to talk to someone about their mental health.
For more information or to register, call 780-416-1500.
School and Transportation Fee Waiver Applications: Deadline extended
Elk Island Public Schools recognizes the global pandemic has put a strain on some families’ finances and available income can change quickly in the current situation. As such, the Division has extended the deadline for requesting a waiver of your 2020-21 school and transportation fees. If you encounter circumstances where you’re unable to pay your fees, you can apply to have fees waived by submitting an Application for a Waiver of Fees. Because of the pandemic, the new deadline is Feb. 15, 2021—if you’re new to EIPS, the deadline is the latter of Feb. 15, 2021, or 45 days after registration.
Each quarter—or trimester, as applicable—you’ll receive an email notification letting you know fees are posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal. To access your fee information, go to “Student Fees” on PowerSchool. There you can view your fees and pay online using Visa, MasterCard or INTERAC Online—when available from your financial institution. All fees are due within 14 days of being posted. NOTE: School Fees apply to in-school learners only.
For more information about school fees, transportation fees, waivers, and payment deadlines, visit eips.ca or contact the school at 780-467-3800.
Returning Student Registration for 2021-22
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) will once again conduct an online returning student registration process to confirm student registrations for the 2021-22 school year. Families of all returning students must complete the process to confirm the school their child plans to attend in the 2021-22 school year. Additionally, students who want to attend a non-designated school need to make that request through the returning student registration process—acceptance is based on available space. The 2021-22 returning student registration takes place between Feb. 1-28, 2021.
Access to the Returning Student Registration Form is provided through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. If you don’t have a PowerSchool Parent Portal account, you need to set one up before Feb. 1, 2021.
For more information contact the school directly.
EIPS 2021-22 Division Calendar: Now available!
The official 2021-22 EIPS calendar is now available online. The calendar includes important dates during the 2021-22 school year, such as school-closure days, breaks, the first and last day of classes, professional learning days, early dismissal days, plus more. Highlights from the 2021-22 EIPS calendar include:
- September 1 – first day of classes
- November 8-12 – November break
- December 22 to January 4 - Christmas break
- February 1 – second semester begins
- February 10-11 – Teachers’ Convention
- March 28 to April 1 – spring break
- June 28 – last day of classes
- June 29 – last operational day before the summer break
To view the 2021-21 calendar, visit eips.ca.
Did you know you can sync the Division calendar to your personal calendar? You can. Simply, visit eips.ca/calendar and click on “subscribe to calendar.” It’s that easy.