Pawnee County 4-H Express
Re-Enrolling in 4-H
For helpful sheets to walk your family through the re-enrollment process please visit our website: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/pawnee/enrollmentforms
Project Coordinators Meeting
The 2016 Fruit Sales are fast approaching. This year’s fruit sales will run from January 21, 2016 through February 8, 2016. If you have any questions please contact the extension office.
Important Fruit Sale Dates:
January 21: Leaders Pick-up Order Forms from Extension Office
January 21: Fruit Sales Begin
February 8: Fruit Sales End
February 9: Fruit Sale Summaries due to Leader
February 12: Leaders Turn in Club Summaries to Extension Office
February 27: Fruit Sales Delivery
Market Beef Weigh-In
Market Beef Weigh-In will be held at 9:00 am on Saturday, January 30th at the Russ Tegtmeier Farm (71556 609 Ave, Burchard). You must call the Extension Office no later than Friday, January 29th to sign up (so we know who to expect).
All 4-H youth planning on exhibiting a Market Steers and/or Heifers at the Pawnee County Fair, Nebraska State Fair and/or Ak-Sar-Ben Livestock Show, MUST weigh-in their animals on this date.
All 4-H market beef projects will be ear-tagged with an official tag and DNA samples will be collected for those being entered in the Nebraska State Fair and/or Ak-Sar-Ben Livestock Show. The cost for DNA is $8.00 per head and must be paid at weigh in.
In the event of inclement weather, the weigh-in date will be moved to Saturday, February 7 @ 9am
4-H Horse Stampede
March 12, 2016 at the Animal Science Complex on UNL’s East Campus. Entries are due to county offices on Feb. 12th.
· Demonstrations (individual and team)
· Public speaking
· Quiz bowl
· Photography and art contests
More information available at: http://animalscience.unl.edu/horse-4-h-and-youth#tab32
Livestock Quality Assurance
The online course cost $5 per person per year, the Pawnee County 4-H Foundation will offer $5 in Bonus Bucks for all 4-Hers who have completed their online QA training. These Bonus Bucks can be used to pay for workshops, buy a show shirt, pay for State Fair livestock fees or purchases something off of the 4H mall.
Instructions can be found on our website: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/pawnee/qa/
2016 Agriculture Innovators Experience - Deadline January 13
Nebraska 4-H is seeking three teens (4-H age 14-18) to serve as leaders for the 2016 4-H Agriculture Innovators Experience: Honeybee Challenge grant activities. Through this activity youth will participate in a STEM activity while gaining an awareness and interest in agricultural careers and agriculture innovation. The format of the Challenge Activity is similar to National Youth Science Day experiments; the 2016 activity involves pollinators.
To be nominated the teens must:
- Have a positive attitude and be excited about teaching others
- Be of 4-H age 14-18
- Be able to attend a national training February 26-28 in Chevy Chase, MD (Expenses paid by National 4-H Council)
- Be willing and available to lead a training for 17 other teens on March 12, 2016 in Lincoln
The teens will receive:
- Travel and lodging for training in Chevy Chase, MD
- A toolkit to conduct the Challenge Activity including materials
- A $500 grant for their 4-H Club/4-H Council to sponsor a local event(s)
- The opportunity participate in a national experience
- Teens and supervising adult will submit an action plan by April 1
- Teens will reach 75 youth with the challenge activity
- Teens will submit a short impact article
- Teens will submit and implement a social media marketing plan (templates will be provided)
- Submit photos of challenge activity
- Submit final report of grant activities
Nomination Form: https://ssp.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5nxTMTHKobkn3pz
Former 4-H Members Survey
The Pawnee County 4-H Foundation would like to invite former 4-H members to participate in a survey. It is our hope that we are able to use the information collected to strengthen grant proposals submitted to build new 4-H buildings on the fairgrounds. Please be honest when answering the survey and skip any questions you are unsure about. Paper copies will be available in the office as well.
This survey should be completed by you if are over the age of 18 and
(1) Participated in 4-H in Pawnee County AND currently live in Pawnee County,
(2) Participated in 4-H in Pawnee County AND currently live outside of Pawnee County, or
(3) Participated in 4-H outside of Pawnee County AND currently live in Pawnee County.
Survey Link: http://go.unl.edu/pawneefairgrounds
Upcoming Deadlines & Events
- 4th-4H Foundation Meeting, Courthouse, 6:30pm
- 7th 14th & 28th- Junior First Lego League- Lewiston Cafeteria
- 8th 15th & 29th- Junior First Lego League- Pawnee Elementary Computer Lab
- 10th- Archery SPIN Club, 3:30pm
- 18th & 26th- 4H Afterschool Outdoor Skills Workshop- Pawnee
- 25th- Project Coordinators Meeting Courthouse, 6:30pm
- 30th- Pawnee County 4H Market Beef Weigh-in, TBA
- 2nd- 4H Afterschool Outdoor Skills- Pawnee
- 7th- Archery SPIN Club, 3:30pm
- 9th 15th 16th 22nd 23rd- 4H Afterschool Outdoor Skills- Lewiston
Nebraska Extension - Pawnee County
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture. The 4-H Youth Development program abides with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.