Slogan : Make It Yours; The Spirit of America
By : Ana and Cassey Rodriguez
- Founded: 1630 by John Winthrop and others, at Massachusetts Bay
- The Massachusetts Colony was one of the original 13 colonies in America
- In towns along the coast, the colonists made their living fishing, whaling, and shipbuilding.
- Whale oil was a valuable resource as it could be used in lamps.
- The Massachusetts Colony was one of four colonies that made up the New England Colonies
- Massachusetts means 'at the great hill', or 'large hill place'.
- Major towns in the Massachusetts Colony included Boston, Plymouth, Quincy, Lexington, and Salem.
- Nicknames for Massachusetts include the Bay State, Old Colony State, the Puritan State, and the Baked Bean State
- The Massachusetts Colony was an English Colony until it joined in the rebellion against Great Britain in 1776
- Once the rebellion was over it became the state of Massachusetts