The Toddler Tummy
1. Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
6 pounds tomatoes, cut in half
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
3-4 cups water
Balsamic vinegar, to taste
2 slices 2% cheddar cheese
2 slices whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mist tomatoes with cooking spray, arrange on baking sheet skin side down, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes.
- In large pot, sauté onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil for 5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, water, salt and pepper to the pot. Puree the mixture with a hand blender until semi-smooth.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place cheese on bread, put on baking sheet, broil for 5 minutes until cheese bubbles/bread is toasted and cut into 1-inch bites.
- Serve soup with drizzle of balsamic vinegar and cheese croutons on top.
Optional topping: fresh chopped basil
3. Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 large bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar or spoonable sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mini-chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat an 8-or 9-inch loaf pan with the cooking spray
- Mash the bananas with a fork. Combine with the oil, yogurt, egg and vanilla; mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours, sugar or sugar substitute, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake a 9-inch pan for 45 minutes and an 8-inch pan for about 52 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, Let cool in the pan 10 minutes; remove from the pan.
Cooking TipCool, slice and wrap each slice individually; freeze. To serve, thaw at room temperature or toast frozen.
5. Cinnamon French Toast
Ingredients2 large eggs
½ cup fat-free milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
6 slices whole-wheat bread
Light pancake syrup or sliced fresh fruit (optional)
- Thoroughly mix eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Dip both sides of the bread slices, one at a time, into egg mixture. Redip if necessary, until all of the egg mixture is absorbed into the bread.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
- Place dipped bread slices on heated skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until both sides are golden brown.
- Drizzle with pancake syrup or top with sliced fresh fruit (optional).
- Serve warm.
7. Caprese Salad on a Stick
¾ oz fresh mozzarella cheese (approximately 3 round cheese balls)
3 basil leaves
3 cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
⅛ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- In order, assemble cheese, basil and tomato onto the skewer until all ingredients are stacked beautifully.
- Drizzle olive oil over assembled skewer, and add a pinch of sea salt if desired. Enjoy!
9. Honey BBQ Chicken Nuggets
Ingredients1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup brown rice flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 8-ounce can low-sodium tomato sauce
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess, and place each piece in the skillet.
- Cook the nuggets for 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and browned.
- Mix the tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard and honey in a small saucepan with a wire whisk until well combined. Heat over low heat until the sauce just reaches a simmer.
- When the chicken is done, dip each piece into the sauce to coat it and place the nuggets on a serving plate.