helping students with loss & grief
for element@ry staff * sel * sd22 * March 2016
what to say to someone who is grieving
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
- I don’t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
- You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- My favorite memory of your loved one is….
- I am always just a phone call away.
- Give a hug instead of saying something.
- We all need help at times like this, I am here for you.
- I am usually up early or late, if you need anything.
- Saying nothing, just be with the person
“demonstrate respect, care and personal regard for students, staff and parents.”
lessons for teachers below on feelings and empathy
for your student
Someone in my family has cancer: A video for kids and parents HD