Cherokee's Kindergarten Kick-Off
We Welcome Your Family to the 2023-2024 School Year!
We choose to Inspire ~ Believe ~ Achieve & LEAD!
~ Welcome to Kindergarten ~
Kindergarten Initial Assessment Sign-Up
Students will be given a free backpack of learning materials when they come for their assessment.
Cherokee Welcome Letter
Dear Cherokee Families,
Welcome to Cherokee Elementary School! We are excited for your family to be a member of our community. As leaders and learners, our Cherokee Community is committed to supporting our students’ academic achievement, leadership skills, and social- support well-being. A core set of beliefs and principles are fundamental to our success.
At Cherokee, we choose to inspire, believe, achieve, and lead to empower learners for a lifetime of success.
· INSPIRE greatness in themselves and others;
· BELIEVE in themselves and in the importance of others;
· ACHIEVE individual and collective goals;
· LEAD by living the 7 Habits each and every day.
· everyone can be a leader;
· everyone has genius;
· everyone plays an active role for change to occur;
· everyone is in charge of their own learning;
· the relationships we foster play an important role in our success.
We Know Our Success Requires:
· a warm, welcoming, and safe environment;
· a knowledgeable, caring, and collaborative community;
· a rigorous, relevant, and comprehensive curriculum;
· engaging, consistent, research-based instructional techniques;
· systems which establish, model, and reinforce clear expectations;
· setting, tracking, achieving, and celebrating goals;
· traditions that build relationships, celebrate diversity, and empower all.
Your family is an important part of your child’s educational success and we look forward to working together!
Additional Information to Know
- Prior to the start of the school year, you will begin receiving digital information from our building.
- All correspondence from Cherokee is done digitally. Please ensure you provide a working/best email upon registration so that you can access important notes, updates, your student’s class placement, and important start-of-the-school-year dates/events.
- Families can find other important information regarding bus transportation, lunch menus, immunization requirements, vision and hearing screening, and guidelines regarding medication on the Chippewa Valley Schools District webpage under “for Parents” and “Parent Portal”.
- Photo identification will be required of all adults when visiting the building.
- More information regarding safety procedures will be provided in the Fall.
- Important/current contact information will be collected digitally at the start of the school year. For our children’s safety, students will only be released to adults indicated as a primary contact during registration.
- More information will be provided via email to our registered families as we approach the Fall return.
CHEROKEE FACEBOOK PAGES
Feel free to visit this site for more information about our school:
Once again, we welcome you to our Cherokee family and look forward to celebrating a year of success. We look forward to welcoming your family at our Kindergarten Kick-Off on Tuesday, May 23rd @ 6 pm.
Heather Batko, Principal
1st Day of School - September 5th
Arrival and Dismissal Times
Doors open at 8:24 AM
School begins 8:30 AM
Full Day Dismissal Times:
3:05 SACC, Safety & Service Squad
3:08 Walkers & parent pick up
Half Day Dismissal Times
11: 18 AM - SACC, Safety and Service Squad
11:21 AM - Walkers and Parent Pick Up
11:25 AM - Bussers
~ FIRST STEPS: REGISTRATION & INFORMATION ~
Step 1: Complete Kindergarten Online Registration
If you have not already registered for kindergarten, you will be registering online using Chippewa Valley Schools online registration process.
ONLINE REGISTRATION LINK: https://www.chippewavalleyschools.org/for-parents/enrollment/
Step 2: Complete Family Input Form
Each year, our staff work to develop strong relationships and learn more about your child. Part of this process is learning more about each child's academic, social, and emotional needs. As a partner in this process, we offer your family the opportunity to tell us about your child's unique learning style, strengths, and challenges. This information is one piece we use in ensuring a successful Kindergarten transition.
The intent of this form is to help ensure the best possible learning environment for all children. It is not intended to be an opportunity to request a specific teacher. Due to many variables, honoring specific teacher requests is not possible.
Please take a moment to complete the online Family Input Form by clicking here.
Step 3: Optional At-Home Activity - Getting Excited for Kindergarten
- Print or click to open a digital copy of the "Future Wildcat" page below.
- Have your child draw a picture or add one of his/her favorite digital photos.
- Have your child to write his/her name on the line.
- As an extension, invite your child to write a sentence explaining what he/she is excited about as a future Wildcat Leader. (Even if it doesn't look like a sentence to you, having your child try to get ideas in print is a great skill :)
- Hang this poster in your house to share the excitement.
~ PREPARING FOR THE FALL ~
Cherokee Before & After School Childcare Program (SACC)
Notes to Know for families interested in childcare in the Fall:
- All CVS schools adhere to Michigan's Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers and must remain within the required student-to-staff ratios
- All families register/reregister their children for SACC online EACH year.
- Registration for Cherokee's 2023-24 SACC program will open in the Fall.
- Information regarding Open-Registration is emailed to all Cherokee families prior to the start of the school year.
- Preregistration is not available at this time.
- Registration is on a "first-come-first-served" basis.
- Families who submit an application will either receive a registration approval email indicating the application has been accepted or remain pending in the system.
Our Kindergarten Team
~ Our Guiding Principles ~
If your child is in need of an Allergy/Health Action Plan: