- Tax Day Fun
- Interesting article on data & the education system
- Spring "cleaning" tips for Outlook, Excel & Even your Desktop
- Link to our Promising Practices presentation, just in case you missed it
Fun Tax Facts
- There were 402 tax forms in 1990, by 2002 that number had jumped to a staggering 526.
- The easiest form, the 1040EZ, has thirty-three pages of instructions.
- There are over 7 million words in the tax law and regulations. That beats the Gettysburg address, the Declaration of Independence, and the Holy Bible all rolled into one (269+1,337+773k).
- 21% of paper returns have errors, <1% of e-file returns have errors; do your taxes electronically.
- The Latin word for 'tax' is 'taxo'. It means 'I estimate'.
Data in Education
Did the pendulum swing too far?
Heather Miles of OVCA/ISOK shared this article that we think is worth the read.
Clear out the clutter in Excel
Get rid of all those extra rows at the bottom to make your scroll bar fit.
- Highlight all of the rows to be deleted. Be sure to highlight the whole row by clicking the row number on the left side of the screen.
- Right click, and select delete.
- Go back to the top of the sheet (Ctrl+Home or Ctrl+Up Arrow, Left Arrow gets there faster)
- Save the workbook (Watch the scroll bar shrink as you do this!)
Checkout this short video containing lots of fun shortcuts to make "cleaning" your worksheets easier!
Outlook organizing: a place for everything, and everything in its place
Are you a "Save-to-Desktop" person? Walk past a row of computers at any in-person PD or large meeting, and you can generally sort folks into two buckets: those who Save-to-Desktop, and those who don't. And a common struggle you'll find in that Save-to-Desktop crowd is a cluttered and crowded computer screen. You could put all those files into folders on your desktop, but that seems to defeat the purpose of saving files to your desktop in the first place, right? Here's a creative solution. Check out this computer background hack for tidying up your desktop files and icons!
- Download this PowerPoint
- Edit the shapes and/or text as needed (keep it to one slide, though)
- Go to File > Save As
- Under Save As Type, change the type to JPEG so you can use it as a background image
- Save to your computer
- Go to Settings>Personalization>Background and set this file as your background
Space Check Outlook
2019 Promising Practices
Missed our session? Check it out HERE!
Paving the Path: Utilize Academic Trackers to Identify Needs, View Progress, and Communicate with Students
This hands-on workshop will guide you through your school's Academic Tracker, help you find and interpret course- and student-specific data, and utilize the data to efficiently communicate with students and families. During the session, you will have the opportunity to participate in engaging activities, have meaningful conversations about tracker data, and leave with a variety of ideas for using the tracker to guide and inform strategic plans for student success.