JANUARY / FEBRUARY 2024
KEY UPCOMING DATES/EVENTS
MONSOON MOMENTS CAPTURED IN PHOTOS
Notes from the Principal's Desk
Dear Mayfair Middle/High School Community,
Welcome to our newsletter, dedicated to celebrating the outstanding achievements of Mayfair Middle/High School throughout the 2023 calendar year. We are excited to showcase the success and milestones our students and staff reached. Additionally, we invite you to peek into the future as we outline our plans for the remainder of this school year. Your engagement is crucial, and we extend a personal invitation to join our principal, Mr. Diaz, at the inaugural State of the School Parent Meeting. This event is an excellent opportunity to connect, share insights, and discuss the exciting initiatives ahead. Mark your calendars for "Doughnuts with Diaz" on February 29th, where we look forward to fostering a sense of community over delicious treats. Together, let's continue to make Mayfair Middle/High School a hub of excellence and achievement for the communities of Bellflower, Lakewood, Cerritos and surrounding cities. Imagine the possibilities that the rest of the 2023-24 School year has to offer for our students.
Received FULL 6 Year WASC Accreditation in January
WASC Visit took place in November of 2022
Growth in all target areas achieved (Math, English and Science)
98% Graduation Rate
Reinstated Academic Celebrations - Honor Roll
Staff Personally Delivered over 1,300 (53%) Honor Roll Certificates to students with grade point average of 3.0 or higher based on Quarter 1 Grades
Over 300 Students Qualified and attended Golf N’ Stuff Celebration for Achieving Students (a new high)
English learner reclassifications
42 Students have reclassified so far in the 2023-2024 school year.
CIF Quarterfinalists and 20 Win Season
Back to Back League Champs
First CIF Win
Individual Champions in the following sports: Cross Country, Wrestling, Swimming
CIF Division 7 Champions
Southern California Regional Champions
Monsoon Marching Corps
Placed 13th out 244 Bands(4th in Division 4A) in the California State Band Championships
- Mayfair was selected to participate in the 2025 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena as a member of the 605 All-Star Band - Lead by Tom Philips (Mayfair Band Director)
Enrollment in Visual and Performing Arts
- Enrollment in arts programs on campus across all grade levels are at a post-covid high.
Think Together middle school expanded learning program is taking place daily after school. Enrollment remains open.
Stemnetics is happening at Mayfair! Students enjoyed an Interactive Family Night December 5th. Session One concludes December 20th. Middle schoolers are building towers, circuits and robots! Three sessions offered this Spring. Enrollment remains open!
COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS
We have 2 college counselor representatives from Cerritos College & Long Beach City College to assist with Dual Enrollment and Promise (2 years free) program
We have added more hours to our College & Career Technician to assist with student needs.
- Mayfair College & Career Center Data Fall 2023
Cerritos College Dual Enrollment in English 100, Sociology 101
Community Schools Partnership with LACOE
L.A. Cada Partnership on campus to assist with drug counseling
Community Family Guidance Center & Asian Pacific Youth Counseling expanded hours on campus
- Transitioned from traditional schedule to block schedule for the 2023-24 School Year
- 88% of Students continue to share that they are thriving with the new schedule
Other Systems Implemented
- Instructional Leadership Advance Implemented
- Principal’s Student Cabinet Created
- Implemented Minga to assist with safety (digital identification, hall passes) and engagement.
- Library Orientations in September with incoming 7th graders was a hit. They left well acclimated with the library and all it has to offer.
- The state provided resources were added to the library page on our school website, providing the entire community with access to a wealth of media and research options.
- The library processed and disseminated the new social studies adoption. Thousands of textbooks and workbooks for one of the largest departments on campus
- The library was able to enhance our eBook platform with $10,000 of additional library books, available to students on any device at any time.
- The library moved to Minga barcode scanning procedures, greatly increasing efficiency
- The library modified its space with standing desks to create an environment more conducive to academics and productivity.
- Created Chromebook printing station with 12 print-ready Chromebooks.
CLIMATE AND CULTURE Character Strong Training Staff and Leadership Student Support Center Opened Access Data? Opened New Wellness Center Attendance Rate Reduction in Chronic Absenteeism Percentage of students attending school on a daily basis is at a post-pandemic high and continues to improve Opened SOONS Stop and Shop (Minga Store - November 2023) Students earn engagement points through Minga from teachers and staff Students can purchase snacks, beverages, supplies dn technology support from the store by redeeming points
CLIMATE AND CULTURE
Character Strong Training
Staff and Leadership
Student Support Center Opened
Opened New Wellness Center
Reduction in Chronic Absenteeism
Percentage of students attending school on a daily basis is at a post-pandemic high and continues to improve
Opened SOONS Stop and Shop (Minga Store - November 2023)
Students earn engagement points through Minga from teachers and staff
Students can purchase snacks, beverages, supplies dn technology support from the store by redeeming points
Opened new state of the art STEAM Building
24 New Classrooms with flexible seating and 21st Century Learning Environment
Repairs were made to ceiling and roof to improve the facility.
ATHLETIC FIELDS UPDATE
I wanted to take this time to update you on the progress regarding the overhaul of our athletic fields. District staff and Mayfair staff have met with the architects to provide input and feedback to the scheduled plans. Additionally, District and Mayfair staff visited Fullerton College as part of our last step for the architects to submit any revisions to the plan. As part of the revision, the architects will need to resubmit the plans to DSA. A projected timeline has construction tentatively slated to begin in July 2024. The goal is to be able to compete on the newly renovated fields and the new football field in the Fall of 2025. We look forward to sharing updates throughout this process. Please remember that this is a tentative timeline and we will update you accordingly.