CB West High School
West Times Newsletter 11.2.2020
NEWS FROM THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Thank you so much to those who were able to join Mrs. Bagnick and Mrs. Corr for our Sophomore Information Session. If you missed last Thursday’s informative session, you may view the Power Point presentation on the Class of 2023 Webpage. We will post and send out the link to the live presentation shortly.
Thinking about college? Planning your career? Check out the PACAC Keystone Virtual College Exploration program, details listed below, as well as on our College Information Page . Also, be sure to visit our Class of 2022 page for your junior testing schedule and timeline.
Forget the STEPS for applying/sending transcripts? Visit the College Application Process page.
Need some help applying to College or sending transcripts? Every Thursday at 2pm, Mr. Curtis and Mrs. Dallam are available for "drop in" help! This is open to all students, and will occur weekly using the same link (see below):
+1 412-219-4136 United States, Pittsburgh (Toll)
Conference ID: 970 805 317#
District Financial Aid and FAFSA Sessions
If you were unable to attend either the Financial Aid Info Session or the FAFSA Overview Session, please visit the Guidance Financial Aid page, where you can access links to both presentations and/or power points.
The Central Bucks West Tutoring Academy will continue to provide Peer Tutoring on a virtual platform. There are several tutors available for academic help in many core classes. If your student is in need of peer tutoring, please have them contact their school counselor or Mrs. Bagnick at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will assign tutors based on availability at the time.
Virtual College Exploration Program
All PA students have access to the Keystone Virtual College Exploration Program. The Program gives students virtual access to over 300 sessions, covering topics about colleges, careers, and the skilled trades. You may register for as many sessions as you’d like, and these are live, interactive sessions with college admissions counselors and other professionals. See our College Information Page for more information, including the session schedule and registration links.
CB West School Closure
November 3rd is Election Day. It is not a day off. Instruction will be 100% virtual with teachers providing synchronous instruction.
This week, food will continue to be distributed Monday, Thursday and Friday from 11am -2pm in the “bubble entrance” near the visitor parking lot at West.
MBIT Full Day Procedures - November 10
When Central Bucks School District has an EARLY DISMISSAL, but Middle Bucks Institute of Technology has a FULL DAY, the following procedure is followed:
- Morning session
All students are transported from West to MBIT at their regular bus time. All students are then transported back to West from MBIT at 10:30 by bus and will be transported home via regular CBSD early dismissal procedures.
- Afternoon session
All students are transported to MBIT at 10:40 AM by bus.
All students will then be taken home from MBIT or back to West at 2:15 PM by bus.
AM MBIT students leave from MBIT at regular time at 10:25
PM MBIT students are to report to Study Hall/Cafeteria for 3rd block and 4th block
PM MBIT students are dismissed from West to MBIT at 10:30
CB West Parent Council
We look forward to continuing our partnership with parents through the 2020-2021 Central Bucks West Parent Council. Membership to the council is open to all interested CB West parents.
Meetings will be held virtually for the time being. Meetings begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 10:30 AM.
Please note: If you are accessing the Teams link on an iPhone or Mac, you will need to download the Teams app first. The web version will not work for Safari.
November 18, 2020
January 20, 2021
February 24, 2021
March 24, 2021
April 21, 2021
Keystone Testing Information
CB West will be administering Keystone Exams in December and January. Please Click Here for important and comprehensive Keystone information. A few points to highlight:
- Keystone Exams are a requirement for the Class of 2023 (recent change). It is no longer a requirement for the Classes of 2021 or 2022.
- Students in 11th grade who were supposed to take the exams in the spring but could not because they were cancelled, must opt-out if they do not wish to take it. If they do not opt-out, they will be rostered to take the exam.
- Students in 10th grade who opt-out must start planning to satisfy one of the other 4 pathways to graduation instead.
- Click Here to Fill Out the Opt-Out Form
- Any questions, please contact Mr. Rubenstein, House Principal and School Assessment Coordinator: email@example.com
Missed Picture Day?
- Do nothing - the photo studio will print a 2020-2021 ID using last year's photo.
- Make an appointment with the studio in Doylestown and have your picture taken.
- Call C & C Studios: 215-345-1851
- Email C & C Studios: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Order form found here
For those purchasing a photo package who already had a picture taken: If the photo package information was not turned during the week of picture days, it's not too late! Please put order form, exact change or check made out to C & C Studios in an envelope and turn in to Mrs. Banks in the main office.
We had reports that students are emailing teachers and counselors if they are staying home and/or switching placements from Hybrid to Online. We realize that it may seem easier (and appreciate our students being advocates and communicating) but in terms of attendance, here are the protocols we need to follow:
Hybrid Students - In Person Days
- If a student should be physically present in the building but is staying home, we do need this communication to come from the parents or guardians. Please email our attendance office at email@example.com. At the school level, this is the same as if students were in the building in a traditional sense because anytime a student is supposed to be here physically but is not, an “excuse note” is needed. There are many reasons for this, which primarily fall under liability and safety, but it is also important for our state attendance records and the planning for teachers. If a student is not in school (but attending online) the initial absence code will be “absent” until we have a communication from parents. The attendance code will be changed to “VP = Virtual Present” once we have the communication from the parent/guardian. We do ask for the communication in advance of the absence so we can make sure the teachers are aware and it also ensures us that parents and guardians know that the student is at home and has permission.
Online Students - Students all Virtual or Hybrid Students on Virtual Days
- If a student does not attend class, the student will be marked absent until we receive the communication from parents.
- Note – If a student logs in initially, but leaves the call or does not engage, the teachers will mark the student absent with a comment so parents can see this information and reach out to us as needed.
Book/Item Distribution and Return
We will be planning upcoming item pick-up and drop off dates soon and will communicate details via email blast.
Antler Yearbook Information
Don't forget to reserve your child an Antler yearbook for this school year. Due to COVID, we will only be accepting online orders, at www.jostens.com . Don't delay - last year we completely sold out of yearbooks - be sure to reserve your child's high school memories today! Seniors Only - Visit the Antler website for Baby Photo information. https://www.cbsd.org/Domain/476
IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FROM PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Pennsylvania Department of Health has revised the immunization requirements for students.
The state law immunization requirement must be completed by November 10, 2020.
Please click here for further details.
If the student is in the middle of a series and it is too soon for the next dose, the parents must provide the school nurse with a plan for immunizations (signed by a health care provider) within the first 5 days. If the student has incomplete immunizations and no medical plan, the student will be excluded from school.
You may check your child’s school immunization record by logging onto the parent portal through the district website at this link or by consulting with your child’s physician.