Monday, May 2, 2016
Truth, Justice, and the Charger Way!
A note from Mrs. Pistel
MAP testing will begin again on Wednesday, May 4th and will continue through Thursday. This will finish our testing sessions for the year!
I know that sometimes absences cannot be avoided, but if all possible, please have your child at school on our testing days. It takes extra staff and time to make up tests and then your child will miss out on classroom instruction as well. Students who miss are also pulled from class and research proves that students score better when they test in their home rooms! Please do your best to make sure your child is in attendance every day!
Also, please help by making sure that your student goes to bed on time, and they eat a healthy breakfast. Students are encouraged to bring in a healthy snack each day of testing. We will test for about an hour and then take a "refueling" break. Snack are encouraged.
Congratulations to Ashia Jones as our Noble Knight, Emily Arounpradith as our Accountable Award honoree, and Triston Winge as our Charger Award winner! Great job! We are very proud of your hard work and dedication this month!
- I can use close reading strategies to learn from a persuasive text.
- I can read persuasive texts and identify the opinion and supportive examples given.
- I can classify the persuasive elements as emotional, logical, or reasonable.
- I can use "Do Writes" to answer constructed response questions clearly and with appropriate support/evidence from the text.
- I can revise my ending and make it powerful.
- I can edit my Final Draft for publication.
- I can illustrate my Biography.
- I can write an Argumentative Essay using facts to support my argument.
- I can recall with automaticity my basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.
- I can convert between various units of linear measure. (mm, cm, m, km and inches, feet, yards).
- I can identify and create equivalent fractions.
- I can compare and order like and unlike fractions using benchmark fractions.
- I can create quick common denominators.
- I can compare and order unlike fractions.
- I can add and subtract like and unlike fractions.
- I can multiply and divide fractions.
- I can multiply and divide decimals.
- I can read, write, and round decimals to the thousandth.
- I can divide decimals.
Word Study Targets
- I can use and spell correctly high frequency words.
- I can accurately proofread and locate the correctly spelled words in a passage.
Science/Social Studies Targets
- I can identify common weather instruments and the element of weather they measure.
- I can use weather instrument data to support a weather prediction.
- I can name the four types of clouds and the type of weather associated with each cloud type.
- I can correctly label a United States Map, labeling all 50 states.(a goal for the entire year)
- I can identify the capitals of the Northeast
- I can read a map and understand how to use it answer questions about location.
- I can identify the characteristics of the the Southern, Middle and New England Colonies.
- I can identify the major causes of the American Revolution.
Items added to your student's Data Binder:
- Various Reading assignments and goal sheet!
Please look at the data binder each week. This section of the newsletter will identify what has been added to the binder for the week.
Special Activities and Celebrations
Mark your calendar!
- Wednesday: Testing!
- Thursday: Testing!
Moreau Heights Elementary School
We are safe, respectful, and responsible!