Norton Weekly Update
Week of May 23rd - 27th
Schedule for the Week - Education! Go Get It Week
Monday - Talent Days; 3rd to 4th Placement; Wear a college t-shirt!
Tuesday - Talent Days; 4th and 6th Grade Science Exam; 2nd Grade Golden Spoon Recess; 5th to 6th Placement; Wear bright colors and sunglasses!
Wednesday - Retirement Celebration; Wear a college hat!
Thursday - 3rd Grade Field Trip; Wear your tennis shoes!
Friday - Field Day
End of Year Info
- White Envelopes are available in the office for your end of year awards. We will send these awards home on Wednesday, June 1st. Please use the same guidelines as the past. Let me know if you have questions.
- Books - Consumable math textbooks should be sent home with students at the end of the year.
- Kids Club - Kids Club will be using the Computer Lab, Gym, MPR, Sci Lab, Art Lab and the following classrooms: 130, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 139, 141, 143, 147, 149. They will begin setting up on Monday, June 6th. If you are impacted, please have all of your things put away/locked up/covered. They will move out of classrooms by August 5th, but will still be in the building until August 12th.
- Summer Hours - Access to the campus through your prox card will be deactivated beginning on June 13th. Your card will not work again until July 30th. The district is planning to have air conditioning back on and running from 7:30 - 4:30 daily beginning on August 6th. They will provide air on the weekends from then until the first day of school.
As you think about next year, please consider the following:
- Consecutive Personal Days - DEC Local Policy prohibits anyone from taking more than 3 consecutive personal days at one time. This year some flexibility was allowed because it was the first year of the change in policy. There will be no exceptions to the policy next year. If you take more than 3 consecutive personal days, you will be docked. Please plan carefully and take your vacations during our scheduled vacation days. We need our teachers and staff in the classrooms!
- Personal Days - Next year we will not approve more than 3 personal leave days on any date. This year we have been negatively impacted on several occasions by large numbers of personal leave days taken. If you know you will need a day off for a personal reason, please put it in the system early. If you wait and 3 days have already been accepted, we will not be able to approve the absence.
- Recess and Movement - This topic has gotten bigger and bigger over the past few months. Please make certain that you are building in brain breaks, movement breaks, or some physical activity into your published schedules. We will need to communicate this information to parents next year.
In addition, please do not allow students to carry anything heavy if they are assisting you.
Thank you to this year's World Cultures Committee! We appreciate your efforts and commitment to make everything run smoothly for the big day! :)
Thanks to Charlene Kemme, Whitney Benton, Michelle Gilbert, and Karen Szeryk for organizing announcements all year.
Thanks to Charlene Kemme, Karen Szeryk, Lori Dreher, and our 6th grade AIM students for an amazing yearbook! (I think we have the coolest yearbook around!)
Thank you to Coach K and Coach C for organizing this year's soccer tournament!
Thank you to Kathy Stone for having our White Envelopes ready for awards!
Staff Spotlight -Stacey McGraw
Where did you grow up? Alief, Texas
Describe your family. I have an amazing husband who has been my best friend for the past 24 years. I still remember the day when I first met him with his faded blue jeans, snake skinned boots and a striped Polo button down. Mike and I have three beautiful daughters: Leah (20) , Claire (19) both attend UNT, and Anna (15) HS freshman at AHS. All three attended Norton Elementary with Savitch and Esposito as their Kindergarten teachers. We have two dogs: Ginger and Carmella.
What university did you attend? Texas Tech University….the best school in the state of Texas and the furthest away from the parental units
What are your favorite activities? I love spending time with my family, quilting, sewing, and watching any activity my daughters participate in….anything Allen Eagles
If you had $1000 to spend on anything, what would you spend it on? I would give to my church’s youth group
What is your favorite reality TV show? The Bachelor…I love watching and giggling with my daughters …and then any cooking show because I really do not know how to cook.
If you were not a teacher, what would you be? Work at a quilt store and play with fabric