Egypt

A Travel Guide to this Middle Eastern Gem

Geography

  • Egypt is located in Northeast Africa, and it is a center for Arab culture.
  • The country has an area of 386,874 square miles.
  • Egypt has control of the Suez Canal, a convenient link between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean.
  • About 95% of Egypt's population is concentrated near the Nile River.

Climatology

  • The country is largely arid desert with minimal yearly precipitation, even in its wettest areas.


Egypt essentially has two seasons:
  1. A mild winter from November to April (usually the better time to travel to Egypt because temperatures are mild in the high 60s and 70s)
  2. A hot summer from May to October

The Two Main Cities

Landmarks to Visit

The People and Their Religion

  • Egypt is home to around 85,000,000 people.
  • About 90% of these people are Sunni Muslims, and the other 10% follow various Christian religions (the Christians are mostly Coptic Orthodox Christians).
  • As a result of their religious principles, Egypt's populous is generally very polite and helpful to tourists who want to learn about Egypt.
  • The Egyptian culture is deeply rooted in ancient times, which is reflected in some traditions that are still practiced today. The nation, however, has evolved because of influence from other Arab nations.

Egypt's National Flag

Each of the flag's colors represent something, which includes the colors of each horizontal bar and the symbol on the flag. The tricolor of the three horizontal bars (red, white, then black) pay homage to the Arab Liberation Flag of 1952's Egyptian Revolution against British Occupation. The shield-bearing golden eagle at the flag's center is Egypt's national emblem, representing strength and power.