Healthy People 2020
- Provide nutrition information appropriate for each grade level that is guided by the Major Instructional Goals (MIGS)
- Provide instructional activities that stress the appealing aspects of healthy eating, behavior based, culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and enjoyable.
New School Policies
- No snack carts allowed in SPS
- No vending machines unless all snacks meet requirements
- No food at school parties (Christmas, Valentines Day, etc.)
- No treats for birthdays, but students may have at least 10 minutes of extra recess.
- Fundraisers selling food- all foods sold must meet nutrition guidelines, no junk food/ sweets allowed.
Improved Lunch Regulations
- No concession stands
- No soda and junk food sold at extra curricular activities
- School lunches must meet all guidelines of USDA nutrition standards.
- Total fat < 35% of calories
- Saturated fat < 10% of calories
- Trans fat - 0 grams
- Sugar Limit- < 35% of weight from total sugars in foods
- Every lunch must have a meat, vegetable, and fruit
- Calorie Limits- All items <200 calories
- Sodium Limits- All items <250 mg
- All schools may sell plain/flavored water, 100% fruit juice, and skim milk
Physical Activity & Allergy Guidelines
- All students must have at least 3 PE credits or 60 minutes of PE for elementary a week.
- Random drug tests will be taken in every sport played. If a student tests positive, he/she will be removed from the team immediately.
- outdoor air quality- safe and non-polluted, all students can eat outside
- indoor air quality- safe and tested monthly