Important Changes and Updates to Know About
MacBook replacement: Currently scheduled for 300 devices to be replaced. Some of this will happen over summer (any available staff); most of it will happen in September-October. This represents about 1/3 of our staff MacBook inventory, with the plan to replace 1/3 of the inventory each year. (Once all replacements are done we will evaluate our schedule for future replacements).
Apple TV 4K Installations: All 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV devices will be replaced over summer. With this upgrade, we encourage staff who have "given up" on the Apple TV to give it another try; we believe that everyone will have a better experience with the new device.
Phone project: All voicemail accounts will be deleted and re-created. We will not be able transfer saved messages to the new system. We will provide instructions on creating new recordings and setting up voicemail. Logins will be reset to defaults for all staff. New software will be available; we will send out info when that can be downloaded in Self Service. Also note that we may be changing some existing phone extensions as part of efforts to clean up our current configuration. Existing handsets will remain in place; we expect to start the first phase of a handset replacement cycle next spring.
Google File Stream: We will be requiring migration off of Google Backup and Sync to File Stream. Over the next year we will be reviewing our use of Standard Google Drive and Team Drive to be more consistent and to better protect our data.
Tech Report: Updated tech report is available; this is a lengthy document about tech department initiatives with a particular focus on the tech levy funding and related projects.
- 2nd grade iPads: New iPad carts, 1:1 distribution of new iPad.
- 1st grade iPads: Additional charging crate, 1:1 distribution of new iPad.
- Middle Schools: Refresh/Replace most of the existing older HP Chromebooks.
- High School: Refresh one lab with PLTW PCs.
- Apple TVs: 3rd generation (smaller model) replaced with 4K model district-wide (about 500).
- Wireless Access Points: Oldest model replaced district-wide (about 200).
- Infinite Campus: Build and deploy On-line Registration functionality. This will make it easier for families to do a new enrollment or to do an annual update to their information. More details about this project will be sent out soon.
- Staff MacBook refresh: This will be a 3-year project, split into 1/3 of staff each year. First year will be oldest devices, targeted groups, and devices that have the highest number of battery cycles (meaning that the battery is likely to not hold a charge as well as it used to). Most of this will occur in early fall, but we will start in summer with any available staff.
- Removal of elementary PC labs: We have had requests to remove PC labs from Sweeney, Sun Path, and Red Oak. This work will be completed over summer.
- Lightspeed Internet Filter set-up: We may check in with some staff directly to verify that the new filter is working as expected.
Keepcertified & Frontline Reminder
Courses and registration will be handled through Frontline for the 2019-2020 school year and beyond.
2019-2020 Projects & Topics
Here are some items we are working on for next school year.
- Canvas Use Expectations: Updated versions for 6-12 and K-5.
- Seesaw Use Expectations: Version for K-5.
- App Expectations: K-5 version will include 1 or 2 apps per grade level that students should be knowledgeable about and comfortable using by the end of that grade.
- Digital Citizenship curriculum revisions.
- A-V Pilot rooms and decision-making (majority of pilot room installations should be completed over summer).