Mrs. Bumatay's Bulletin
for CVM Parents and Students
Volume 1 . Issue 10 . Week of April 5, 2021
Translate This Bulletin
- Select "Translate Newsletter" under the "Accessibility" box (top right) and choose your language.
- Seleccione "Translate Newsletter" en "Accessibility" (cuadro en la parte superior derecha) y elija su idioma.
Dear Cavalier Family,
I hope you had a wonderful two weeks off! It is an exciting month as we welcome students back to campus! We have a list of students who were sent an initial invitation, but if you would like to send your students to school beginning April 12, please contact Assistant Principal, Mr. Casas at email@example.com by the end of the day on Monday, April 5th. Club TC will be open every day from 8:00 am until 5:30 pm for before school and after school childcare needs. Check out the website and click on the Before and After School tab. Please make sure you submit an application to Ms. Sandra Bishop. She can also answer any questions. Please contact her and submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcements for this week:
- This week is Assistant Principals Appreciation Week! Please let Mr. Casas and Ms. Meza know how much you value them! An email would be a nice gesture!
- There will be a yearbook photo makeup day this Friday, April 9th. Please see details below.
- We are still in the process of selecting a Superintendent. Click here for the information on the Superintendent Search update.
- The District has started a monthly newsletter called "Must Sees". Check it out.
- The District is also hosting a Career Night Series for Student and Parents. There is one for April 7th and April 21st.
- We will be having a Coffee with the Principal on Thursday, April 8th at 11:00 am. This is the meeting link. I will be reviewing our re-opening plan. I hope to see you there!
- Thank you to Ms. Hollins who has taken on the advisor role for our Black Student Union club. These are important forums for our students to connect, learn and build community. If you would like to get involved, please contact Ms. Hollins at email@example.com.
- Our counselors will be hosting bi-monthly workshops for parents and students to cover topics on Academics, College/Career, and Social Emotional Wellness. One will be held after school on Wednesday, April 14 from 2:30 - 3:30. Here is the meeting link. These are group meetings. Individual meetings can also be arranged with the respective counselor.
On a more serious note, since the start of the pandemic a year ago, there has been a rise of incidents involving Anti-Asian hate. Forty-two incidents here in San Diego according to advocacy group StopAAPIHate.org. The killing of eight people in Atlanta on March 16, six of them Asian, and the unprovoked attacks on elderly Asians throughout the country, have been heavy on my mind. As one of the few Asian administrators, it is a very personal topic. Our district has 9% Asian and Filipino students, about four times the State average. A recent survey administered to Filipino students last month collected 475 students responses to one question about the unique issues that they face at school and at home. Their responses were eye-opening and heartbreaking. Some reported being called racial slurs and being blamed for the coronavirus. Some reported that teachers did not make the effort to pronounce their names correctly. There were also notes about stress, motivation and identity issues and the desire for ethnic studies being offered. A few of us educators met over the spring break to design some actionable steps for our district students to engage in Stopping APPI Hate. I will post more information next week.
Week of Awareness
April 12 - Sign the online pledge to #standupforAAPI (link to come)
April 13 - Take a selfie with #standupforAAPI poster that you created or have seen.
April 14 - Show your support for an AAPI business. Example: post a picture of your favorite AAPI business.
April 15 - Pledge to volunteer to help our AAPI elders by accompanying them on a walk, go to the grocery store, etc.
April 16 - Post resources to continue to be Anti-racist (i.e. book, website, social media account, etc.)
Here is a very comprehensive Resource Guide to Support the Asian-American community.
In your service,
SCHEDULE FOR THE WHOLE SEMESTER
Free Meal Distribution - Supper now included!
Kudos to our counselor's for creating this space for our school community!
Here is a link to Frequently Asked Questions regarding the COVID vaccine and here is the link for COVID Testing Sites. We all know someone who has been personally affected by this virus. Please continue to wear masks, wash hands frequently and maintain social distancing to help prevent the spread of infection.