Jenna Paasch // 2B // Magna Carta
Magna Carta // Basic Knowledge
When: June 15th, 1215
What: It reduced absolute power of the King, King John the time it was signed, as well as established a parliament, and included basic provisions for civil rights for ordinary citizens.
How: King John was seized at Windsor Castle by his armed and fully armored barons. He was then forced into a meeting with them, where he was presented the Magna Carta for his signature.
How did it infuence The United States?
- The Founding Fathers looked to the Magna Carta for what it accomplished and what it left out.
- Basic rights in the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights echo the charter.
- 14th amendment can also be track it's ancestry back to the Magna Carta
- 9 of 26 provisions in the Bill of Rights can be traced back to the Magna Carta
- Stenton, Doris Mary. "Magna Carta." Britannica School. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015.
- Lloyd, Gordon. "The Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights." TeachingAmericanHistory.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015.
- "The Magna Carta Is Signed: June 15, 1215." Global Events: Milestone Events Throughout History. Ed. Jennifer Stock. Vol. 4: Europe. Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2014. World History in Context. Web. 23 Sept. 2015.
- "Magna Carta." New Catholic Encyclopedia. 2nd ed. Vol. 9. Detroit: Gale, 2003. 40-42. World History in Context. Web. 23 Sept. 2015.
- Doyle, James William Edmund. King John signs the Magna Carta. Digital image. Wikimedia Commons. N.p., 4 Nov. 2013. Web. 23 Sept. 2015.