SoACE Spring 2016 Newsletter
Brought to you by SoACE Marketing Committee
Note from the President
Greetings! I hope that your spring semester is going well so far. I know that we are all in the midst of either helping students (especially graduating seniors!) find jobs or internships – or hiring those students!
It was great seeing all of you who were able to attend the 2015 Conference in Austin, and once again, a huge thank you to Courtney Edwards and Kevin Owens (our conference co-chairs), Corinne Earle (from cmcglobal), and the entire conference committee. The survey results are in and it looks like we all enjoyed the conference, especially the networking and the learning opportunities. I’m already excited about this year’s Annual Conference in Ft. Lauderdale – how about you?
I’d also like to thank all of you who took the time to vote for our incoming Board members, and a huge congratulations to those who were elected! They are:
- Ray Rogers, St. Edward’s University – President-Elect
- Courtney Edwards, Louisiana State University – Director-College Knowledge Groups
- Jamie Gaertner, Enterprise Holdings – Director-Diversity and Inclusion
- April Gonzalez, University of Tennessee – Director-Finance
I’d also like to congratulate those who won awards at this year’s conference:
- Southern Star Award: Charlie Wilder, Mississippi State University
- New Professional Award: Jill Boatright, Loyola University New Orleans
- Imaginative Spirit Award: Vicki Hamby, University of South Carolina
- President’s Award: Courtney Edwards, Louisiana State University
- Champion of Diversity: Mason Murphy, Texas State University
- Mosaic Award: Pepsi, Co. (Frito Lay)
I know that many of our KGs are busy with webinars, conference calls, and other activities. In particular, because of great feedback last year, the Employer Relations KG and the Professional Development Committee are planning our second annual Employer Relations Summit at the University of Alabama at Birmingham from Wednesday, June 15 until Friday, June 17. The event sold out last year! Be sure to register by clicking here.
As I mentioned in the October newsletter and in our December business meeting at the conference, I hope you are taking advantage of all your SoACE membership has to offer, including:
- Knowledge Groups (KGs)
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Professional Development, including Research Fellowships & Scholarships
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Consulting Services
Best wishes to you, and I hope you enjoy the remainder of the spring semester!
Disney Campus Recruitment
SoACE 2015-2016 President
Welcome our New Board Members!
“As a new member of the SoACE Board of Directors for Diversity/Inclusion, I am most excited about learning from my peers and colleagues. I am so fortunate to be working with a group of talented individuals with a wealth of experience in Career Services and College Recruiting. I feel that we will be able to continue to learn from each other and take SoACE to the next level.”
- Jamie Gaertner, PHR – Director, Diversity and Inclusion
“I am looking forward to learning more from seasoned Board members and working to insure that the resources and finances are fiscally sound. Additionally, serving the association in this capacity is one that I am honored to take on, and I look forward to the challenges and successes that such a role will present.”
- April Gonzalez, M.Ed – Director, Finance
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
“I have such a passion for SoACE and its members, and I’m looking forward to bringing new ideas to the organization. I want to increase opportunities for our members and expand the offerings that we are currently providing our members. Thank you for electing me!”
- Courtney Edwards – Director, College Knowledge Groups
Louisiana State University
“While I've become familiar with the operations of SoACE and the strategic priorities from the last few years, I am eager to begin my new role as President-Elect. We have greatly benefited from the strong leaders who have served on the board over the past several years, strategically directing our association during some challenging times. I look forward to continuing the work of broadening professional development opportunities, expanding the reach of our association and maintaining a financially sound organization.”
- Ray Rogers – President-Elect
St. Edward’s University
Be a part of the 2nd Annual SoACE Employer Relations Summit!
June 15-17, 2016
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
Be sure to save the date and make plans to attend!!
Registration details and information coming soon.
The 2016 Employer Relations Summit Call for Programs is now OPEN!
Deadline: March 18th
The Professional Development Committee and the Employer Relations Knowledge Group invite you to submit a proposal for the 2016 Employer Relations Summit! The Program Committee is looking for current critical topics relevant to Employer Relations. First consideration will be given to programs in the areas of Strategic Planning towards Employer Development; Building and Maintaining Relationships with Campus, Community and Career Services Partners; and Employer Partnerships and Sponsorships. Our mission is to craft a program that addresses topics pertinent to the needs of career services professionals specializing in employer relations.
Sessions for the summit can be in one of two formats:
- Breakout sessions: These 1 hour and 15 minute sessions should offer an in-depth exploration of the chosen topic. The purpose of the two hour session length is to allow time for participants to actively participate through group work, development of plans, or other relevant tangible takeaways. Breakout sessions will take place Thursday, June 16, 2016.
- Networking roundtables: These 20-minute mini-sessions take place during a 1 hour and 30 minute block. Roundtable sessions let participants dip quickly into up to three topics in an open environment for idea sharing, benchmarking and guided discussion. Roundtable hosts/moderators should be prepared to facilitate discussion and have talking points already established, but not make a formal presentation. Hosts should also be prepared to collect contact information and compile notes to send out to attendees (four sets, one for each 20 minute slot) after the conference. Roundtables take place Thursday, June 16, 2016.
Click here to enter the 2016 Employer Relations Summit Call for Programs Online Submission Website.
Employer Relations Summit Schedule at a Glance
Wednesday, June 15
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Conference Welcome and Keynote Address
5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Reception
Thursday, June 16
7:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Breakout Sessions
10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. Breakout Sessions
12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Lunch and Employer Panel
1:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Breakout Sessions
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Roundtables
4:30 p.m. - Until Free Evening
Friday, June 17
7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Breakfast
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Local Employer Site Visit
Are you preparing for a career fair reception during Spring Semester? An event at a state, regional or national conference? Some other occasion? In the newest post on SoACE Connections, contributor Claire Childress gives several tips to help you “mingle like you mean it.”
Knowledge Group (KG) Updates
Administration Knowledge Group
Title: Careers in Career Services: A Panel of Experts
Description: Are you a graduate student or new professional seeking more information about life as a career services professional? Then this webinar is for you! Join a panel of seasoned professionals to learn about the profession. You will hear about career services at large and small institutions, public and private schools, and the nature of the work for each demographic. Panelists come from a wide array of backgrounds, and participants will be able to understand multiple pathways to success within the Career Services profession.
March 31, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST
Career Advising Knowledge Group
Title: Career Advising KG Case Discussion Group
Are you a new career advisor/counselor? Do you miss the shared consultations and discussion with your cohort from your graduate training? Are you a veteran advisor/counselor who enjoys mentoring newer professionals? Or maybe you just want to benchmark about your practices and grow your own skill set? The SoACE Career Advising KG wants to help career advisors support one another as well as our students. This periodic virtual roundtable discussion group would allow participants to talk through advising interactions with students (no names, of course!) and gain perspective and advice from fellow practitioners. Depending on interest this group could "meet" regularly (such as weekly or monthly) or episodically. Join us for a trial run and help shape this offering into a helpful resource for career advising professionals. Interested in facilitating such a group? We want to hear from you!
March 30th, 11:30am – 12:20 pm CST
Title: Discover Instagram: How You Should Be Using This Platform to Promote Your Brand and Drive Office/Company Engagement
Description: In an ever-changing landscape of social media it is often hard to decide where to focus your efforts as a career center or recruiter. Statistics show that students are leaving Facebook in droves for a new friend called, ‘Instagram’. As the fastest growing social media platform, Instagram is now one of the best places to engage millenniums. In this session, you will understand the value of a reputable Instagram presence and learn how the UGA Career Center increased its Instagram following and engagement by 435% in just three months. Whether you are familiar with the platform or not, walk away with practical tips and tricks to get you well on your way to Instagram success.
April 8, 12:00pm – 1:00pm EST
Employer Relations Knowledge Group
March 24th, 2016 @ 12 pm EST - Tweetchat - Employer Outreach and Engagement (#soaceerkg) hosted by Denise Rudolph (@drrjmu and @soaceerkg)
April 2016 - Webinar – Vendors – the ERKG put out a question in the KG circles to request vendor suggestions that office Employer Relations staff would like to learn more about; these vendors are planned to be featured in an April webinar – details TBD
1. We will be holding our quarterly conference call on Tuesday, March 15th. Anyone interested in being a part of this call is welcome to email me at email@example.com and I’ll include them on the list to receive login information.
2. We’ve added several new members and are always open to more! Anyone interested can email me at the email address above or join our Circle through SoACE connect.
3. The Chair of the Employer Relations KG has contacted me to see if there is any interest in doing a virtual Recruiter 411 panel for employers so we’re hoping to make arrangements for that soon.
4. We’re working to confirm the Assistant Chair for the Employer KG soon and updates on that will be sent out once it’s confirmed.
5. My seat as Chair will be up the middle of this year, so it might be good to put a call for volunteers for my seat in this newsletter.
6. We’re working with the Employer Relations KG to put together a flyer similar to one created by EACE to help market the value of SoACE. Employer members provided their feedback about the specific benefits of membership to their company for possible inclusion.
The Employer KG assisted with feedback to the board on the value of their SoACE membership along with assisting with the feedback on the creation of the new tagline as we work to update the SoACE website with employer membership development being a key goal.
Technology Knowledge Group
- The Technology KG will host a web discussion on Successful Marketing Strategies in Career Services. The KG will present on various ways to conduct outreach to your campus community through newsletters, graphics in emails, and other technology. This will be on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1 p.m. (Central). For more information, contact Araceli "Sally" Perez-Ramos, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Technology KG will partner with the Employer Relations KG in April to co-host the Vendor Webinar. Date TBD.
- The Technology KG will host a webinar/webchat on Tuesday, May 17th to discuss CRM vendors. This will be an organic chat to discuss Career Services' professionals experience with various CRMS as well as their pros and cons. Please stay tuned to find out how to register for this exciting and interactive discussion! For more information, contact Araceli "Sally" Perez-Ramos, Chair, at email@example.com.
- Search for vacancy #925003
Expires: April 8
Expires: April 4
Expires: March 26
Expires: March 25
Expires: March 25
Expires: March 20
Expires: March 19
Expires: March 17
Expires: March 17