GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
This Week December 14-18
- Remember our Extreme Transformation Challenge... Send before pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dec. 18 HS BOB questions DUE to Jackie
Dec. 18 DUE DATE: CIPA Due for Elementary and Middle Schools
Dec. 19- Jan. 5 Holiday Reading Challenge
eBook Training DUE DATE Dec. 20 : The due date to have all staff and students trained using eBooks.
Dec. 21-31 Have a wonderful Winter Break and spend lots of time relaxing with your family and friends...
Dates to Remember
- Jan. 1 Holiday
- Jan. 4 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 11 December GCS Reads 20 Minutes Due
- Jan. 15 Holiday Reading Challenge Forms Due to School Media Specialist
- Jan. 18 Martin Luther King Holiday
- Jan. 20 Holiday Reading Challenge Names Due to Media Services
- Jan. 21 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 22 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 26 Holiday Reading Challenge Winners will be announced this week
- Jan. 27 Celebrate Multicultural Children's Book Day
Holiday Reading Challenge
- To be eligible for incentives all reading logs should be turned into Media Specialists by January 15, 2016.
- Media Specialists should then turn in the names of eligible students to Tammy Gruer by January 22, 2016.
- Winners will be announced the week of January 25, 2016.
UPCOMING BOB DEADLINES
The facility payment for elementary, middle, and high schools Battle of the Books will be $100.
It is due ON or BEFORE December 11th, 2015.
Please make check payable to Guilford County Board of Education. School checks and PTA checks are acceptable.
Send all payments to Robin Gonsiewski, Accounting, Eugene Street.
THIS FEE IS NONREFUNDABLE. A commitment to play is a commitment to pay. If you have any questions, please call Jackie at 370-2357
HS BOB Questions
Before you know it December 18th will be here! Thanks for your commitment to read and write questions for the High School BOB Competition. You may submit your completed questions anytime before December 18th. We still have a need for volunteers to read four books. Please refer to your email for the list of books assigned. Again, thanks for all you are doing to support our high school competition.
Registration for our 2016 NCTIES Conference is now open!
- Registration for our 2016 NCTIES Conference is now open! https://conference.ncties.org/2016/registration/
- NCTies is seeking proposals from educators and students at all levels, from all parts of the world. They also welcome proposals that demonstrate uses of technology to transform education. You are doing WONDERFUL things here in GCS. Share your knowledge with the world and help others in their ed tech journeys.
- Concurrent Sessions Call For Proposal Link: http://conference.ncties.org/FORMS/CFP/cfp_login.php?formid=13941031
Diversity & Global Education
Global Education Opportunities
The North Carolina Geographic Alliance (NCGA) is a statewide partnership between K-12 teachers and volunteer professors. The Alliance provides educators with professional development, networking, model programs, and teaching materials. Part of National Geographic's nationwide network of state Geographic Alliances, NCGA's programs teach students to care for the planet, its resources, and all of its inhabitants and prepare them to succeed as citizens in an increasingly global society. For more information contact Sue Elder, email@example.com 336-869-0909.
The following schools have signed up to participate in this year's Poet Laureate Competition. If you would still like to participate, please contact her before Holiday Break. firstname.lastname@example.org
- · A&T Middle College
- · Greensboro Day School
- · Grimsley High School
- · Northeast Guilford High School
- · Page High School
- · Southeast High School
- · Weaver Academy
Please see her email for details and further questions.
Save the Date
11th Annual Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit @ECU
- Date: March 19, 2016
- Location: Joyner Library East Carolina University
Do you want to suggest a title for NEXT Year's HS BOB List?
- · Read 4 books using the “BINGO” chart
- · Create some sort of online “presentation” of each book using Web 2.0 tools. (The idea is to learn the programs as well as share them.)
- · Attend the sharing sessions
- · Submit your links via Canvas
- January 25 – Scuppernong, Greensboro
- February 23 – Amoroso’s, High Point
Karen has added most of you who attended the last meeting to the Canvas class. When you login into your NCED Cloud account you can click on Canvas. Take some time to explore Canvas and we will discuss it at our next meeting.
If you were not at our first meeting, please let me know if you want to participate and I will add you to the Canvas class.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.