Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
Dear Sequoia Families,
Some of you may already know that we have several teacher openings for next year. Mrs. Conneely (Kinder) will be taking a job share position at Spring Creek next year. Mrs. Sugiyama (1st grade) and Mrs. Kortbein (3rd grade) will both be retiring at the end of the year and Ms. Bills, 6th grade teacher, will be moving to the Sacramento area where she has family and a new teaching position. It has been our pleasure to have each one of these teachers at Sequoia. They have all helped to give students a wonderful place to learn and grow. We will miss each of them tremendously.
In an effort to fill these positions, I've been off campus over the last couple weeks doing several teacher interviews. I'd like to let you know who will be on staff for next year and a little about our new staff members.
- Amy Martling will enter our kindergarten team next year. Ms. Martling has been teaching for 6 years in Rincon Valley, 4 years at Binkley and 2 years in kindergarten at Austin Creek.
- We will welcome Robin Foss to our 1st grade team. Ms. Foss has been teaching 1st grade for over a decade at Binkley Elementary.
- I'm happy to announce that Jacki Fogleman, who is currently teaching 6th grade at Sequoia, will fill our 3rd grade position. Ms. Fogleman is excited to take on a new grade level and enter our 3rd grade team.
- Gina Pellegrini will fill one of our 6th grade positions. Ms. Pellegrini is from Santa Rosa but has been teaching in the upper grades for 3 years in southern California.
We are still conducting teacher interviews and will fill the other 6th grade position soon.
Here is the staff roster for 2018-2019:
1st-Megan Byrum/Shannon Palmer
Learning Preference Forms
Some of you have asked about class placement for next year. As a staff, we are working very hard to place all of our students carefully. We consider many things when placing students in classes. Teachers spend hours together trying to balance academic and behavioral needs, gender, learning styles and more. I also meet with each team to look at our class placements and make sure that we have considered all the pieces carefully. We hope you will trust our staff to know your students and make the best decision possible. We also know that students sometimes have learning preferences that you need us to be aware of when placing your child in a classroom for the following year. Learning Preference Forms will be available in the office for parents to fill out if needed. Learning Preference Forms are meant to give us information about what kind of learner and person your child is in order for us to best place them. We will do our best to consider the information you give us and place your child appropriately. Learning Preference Forms will be available in the office on Friday, May 3rd and due Friday, May 11th. We will not consider Learning Preference Forms turned in after this date.
We are excited for all the many events happening to end our year. We are looking forward to celebrating the year we've had and teachers that will be moving on to new adventures as well as welcoming the new staff members coming our way!
Have a good week!
6th Grade Class Car Wash
Saturday, May 5th, 10:30am-3:30pm
Sequoia/RVCS Parking Lot
- Please join us for the 6th Grade Class Car Wash and give your ride a bath!
- Sponsored by the Sequoia Parents Club, this 6th Grade class fundraiser will help offset costs for the annual camp trip and other awesome things.
- 6th grade students will make your car shine for a $10 donation.
Sequoia's Open House
Wednesday, May 23rd, 6-7:30pm
5305 Dupont Drive
Santa Rosa, CA
- 6:00 pm Ice Cream Social in MPR
- 6:30-7:30 pm Classrooms open to parents and families
The library will also be open till 7 pm for our $5 book sale and book swap!
Sequoia's Spring Soiree
Saturday, May 19th, 6pm
Santa Rosa Scottish Rite Temple, Acacia Lane, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Click the link below for more details:
Upcoming Dates and Events
- May 5th: 6th Grade Car Wash
- May 19th: Sequoia Spring Soiree
- May 23rd: Open House
- May 25th: Field Day