Deer Hill School News . April 16, 2021
Dear Deer Hill Families,
Cohasset Public Schools is committed to an inclusive, anti-racist environment where all community members are valued and represented in our curriculum. As part of that ongoing work we are in the process of developing a CPS Equity Vision Statement that will clearly articulate this position. This week in our faculty meeting Deer Hill staff had an opportunity to offer feedback on a draft of this statement through a collaborative process. This input is being solicited from staff in all of our schools. In preparation for that work staff read the article “Creating a Culturally Responsive Early Childhood Classroom” by Todd, Roisleen (2021). As our Deer Hill families are important partners in this, I'm sharing that article with you as well. There is much work to be done as a school, a town, and a society; we appreciate your shared commitment to these efforts.
I wish you a restful Spring Break. Be safe and well.
All the best,
Alexandra L. Sullivan
Principal, Deer Hill School
P.S. Our next newsletter will be published approximately May 7.
P.P.S. Follow me on Twitter @DeerHillSchool for ongoing info and joy throughout the week.
Need to Knows
- Our MCAS dates have been established for May as follows. This year there is one session for each subject area. Thank you for prioritizing your child's attendance on these days. More information will be shared in May.
5th grade: ELA, 5/10; Math, 5/17; Science, 5/20
4th grade: ELA, 5/11; Math, 5/18
3rd grade: ELA, 5/12; Math, 5/19
- When we return to school after break, it will soon be time to begin the placement process for the 2021-22 school year. Detailed information about this process will be shared with families in early May. Please do not contact teachers with input or requests.
- Thank you for remembering that our drop off window for cohort A is 9:05-9:15 and for cohort B is 9:15-9:25. Our pick up window for cohort A is 3:15-3:30 and for cohort B is 3:30-3:45. In particular, if cohort B cars arrive before their window at dismissal, they must wait for their students to be dismissed to the gym. This creates a backup of cars and makes it difficult for cohort A families to pick up their students. Your continued patience and adherence to these time windows is appreciated.
- Our RISE before and after school program is fully operational and can help you avoid the arrival and dismissal crush. Please visit the Town of Cohasset rec website for more information.
Keeping the Joy (happenings at Deer Hill)
- We have a winner in our March Madness Women Warriors book brackets! Congratulations to Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman by Kathleen Krull and David Diaz for being our 2021 champion!
- Earth Day is April 22. Deer Hill kicked things off early with an all-school Zoom assembly on April 5. The focus of this assembly was a PSA by 5th grader Ella Banning that challenged Deer Hill students to renew their commitment to recycling at school. In preparation for her presentation Ella met with me to pitch her plan, and she consulted with our custodian, Ms. Fucci-Franks, to ensure its feasibility. The earth's prospects are a little greener with leaders like Ella in our midst!
- Some fourth and fifth grade classrooms will be participating in an Author Event with Gregory Mone through Buttonwood on April 27th. His new book Atlantis is coming out soon. Gregory is a science journalist with great energy and has written several children's books. Buttonwoods Books has ordered 25 signed books from Gregory Mone if you're planning a visit there soon.
- Calling all Yoda fans! Please see the flyer below for details on our May the 4th Be With You Star Wars Spirit Day and fundraiser for the Cohasset Food Pantry.