February 1, 2016
National School Counselor Week
Thank you Mrs. Decker and Mrs. Naugle! Happy National School Counselor Week!
- The SMS Band Students that competed at the ISSMA Solo and Ensemble Contest at Floyd Central. We brought home 19 Gold and 3 Silver medals!
- The SMS Builders' Club and SMS Student Council for their Penny Wars Project that garnered $378.45 for the Scott County Clearinghouse.
- The 7th Grade Boys and the 8th Grade Girls Basketball Teams who will be competing in conference championship finals this week.
Great Start Tiny Writers!
If you'd like to contribute to our project, submit a 3-5 sentence response to the prompt below in a Canvas inbox message to Miss Nass. The prompt #2 deadline is noon Friday, Feb. 5.
Tiny Write #2- You are visiting the top-secret headquarters of a new candy company. You lose the tour group and are trying to find them. You open a door and an alarm rings and...
8th Graders: The 8th Grade Dance is still set for Friday, May 13th. An article about the dance was included in the semester report card newsletter for parents. The dance is a 'dance' and not a 'prom.' Dress code expectations were also shared with parents. Boys are expected to wear cargo-style shorts or pants and a polo or collar shirt. Girls are expected to wear spring dresses or casual skirts/shorts/pants. Let's save tuxedos, formal dresses, and limos for a more appropriate time! Prom is a high school event. The 8th grade dance is a very special SMS event. We hope all 8th graders join us for the dance that night!
Bonus App Package
The long-awaited Bonus App Package is launching this week. Students that have demonstrated a high degree of success in several different categories during the first semester will have access to new apps in the App Portal. Students earning the bonus can download any or all of the apps in the bonus package. Information about the bonus apps can be found in the Canvas SMS Community page.
Qualifying standards for the bonus were increased this year. Missing any of the indicators below would disqualify a student from access to the apps.
1) Attendance- Cannot have missed more than 3 total days in semester 1 (any reason).
2) Digital Citizenship- Cannot have a tech violation in semester 1.
3) Academics- Cannot have an F for any quarter report card grade for semester 1.
4) Behavior- Cannot have any suspension (ISS or OSS) during semester 1.
Mon. 1 B/Connect: ATOD Survey, Science Olympiad 3-4:30, 7 BB @ N Harrison (MSC Championship) 7/8 GB v. Seymour, Wrestling @ New Washington
Tue. 2 A: Archery 3-4:30, Circle the State 3-4, 6 BB @ Scribner, 8 GB in MSC Championship
Wed. 3 B: Cross 7:45a, , Science Olympiad 3-4:30, Yearbook 3-4, Pep Club 3-4, 6 GB @ Austin, 7/8 BB "B" @ Jennings County
Thu. 4 A/Connect: Student Council 7:15 AM, Mobile Dentist, Archery 3-4:30, Builders' Club 3-4, 6 GB @ Brownstown, 6 BB v. Salem
Fri. 5 B:
Sat. 6: 6 GB @ Salem
Mon. 8 A/Connect: Bus Driver Day! Science Olympiad 3-4:30, Archery 3-4:30, Builders' Board 3-4, 6 BB v. OLPH, 6 GB v. St. Gabriel