Running a webinar as an expert
Top 10 tips
1) Prepare thouroghly (keep it short and simple) :
- Timetable of the event
- Presentations, videos you intend to use
- Presentation of the guests with pictures
- webinar back-ups (if technical problems arise)
- Pages with links, guests résumé, contacts (That has to be online several days before the webinar and stay online after)
- Forum page (for participants to be able to react to the webinar and to ask questions)
- Ask yourself if the event is serving your objectives.
2) Technical check
- Check the technological sources, headsets, microphones, camera…
- Check the compatibility of the different softwares when mixted.
3) 20 minutes before the start
- Check the access of the back-up documents, audio sources, etc.
- Check your notes and the timetable.
- Make a last technical test. (Keep technicians phone number at hand.)
DURING THE WEBINAR
4) Introduction to the webinar
- Welcome the participants
- Present the speakers
- Present the schedule of the webinar, including what will be online after (summary, links, seminar recording, Q & A forum ...)
- Let a window with the schedule in view during all the session
5) Add subtitles
- If you’re not English native and your webinar is in English, be kind to participants and double your voice with slides where the text (or a resumé) is written.
- Illustrate your slides (if you find relevant graphics, videos or pictures) for participants to have images to memorize.
6) Use different tools
- Vary the tools to avoid a sedative effect
7) Let's know about participants' feelings
- Use online polls to be able to be more flexible and follow the needs of the participants
8) Work in team
One of you presents, while the other
- Checks the equipment and connections
- Reads the messages offline
- Invites participants to talk
- Checks polls
- Has a look at the timetable
- Keeps the speaker informed …
9) Closing the webinar
- Thank the guests, the participants, the technicians
- Invite participants to join the forum if they still have questions, interrogations or just want to go on about the topic after the webinar
- Write the references on slides and tell what can be found online and where
10) Relax !
- Unplug and relax !
- Don’t forget though that you have to be active on the forum and to summarize the seminar.
- Don't forget to check if all the promized links and sources are online